Newbies!!

Page 2 of 9 (176 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 175 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:54 AM

Jayson,

I am one of the many newbies to the forums.  I just searched the forums for information about "collections" and found a couple of great user videos.  Below are the answers to your questions to us newbies:

1.  I became a Logos user when I found a green box called the Logos Bible Software Collection on one CD ROM.  It had the Logos Family Bible Software, Logos Bible Crosswords, In His Time - the Christian personal information manager (PIM) for Windows, The One Minute Bible, and Logos Bible Screen Saver, and "the link together using Windows DDE."  [I still have the box; not that good of a memory!]  It has a newspaper in it from Logos dated 1995.

2.  I have 2,629 resources in Logos 4 with my upgrade from Gold to Platinum.  I have purchased many of my resources listed below through boxed products, Library Builder Specials, etc:

Charles Stanley LifeWorks Library, Christian History & Biography Magazine, Columbia Encyclopedia, ESV Demo CD, Getting to Know Jesus Bible Study, Interpretation Bible Commentary - Old Testament (ver. 2), Interpretation Commentary - New Testament, John Piper Collection, Library Builder Combo 2007: Volumes 4-6, Library Builder: Volume 1, Library Builder: Volume 2, Library Builder: Volume 3, Library Upgrade (3.0c), Lucado LifeWorks Library, McGee LifeWorks Library, Ministry Letters, Nelson's Annual Preacher's Sourcebook, 2008 edition, Nelson's Annual Preacher's Sourcebook, 2009 edition, New International Version, NLT Study Bible, OT NT Exegesis, Preacher's Commentary (LDLS 3.0), Scholar's Library, Scholar's Library: Gold, Sermon File, Sermons from John Piper, Standard Lesson Commentary, 2004-2005, Standard Lesson eCommentary, 2005-2006, Standard Lesson eCommentary, 2006-2007, Standard Lesson eCommentary, 2007-2008, Standard Lesson eCommentary, 2008-2009, Standard Lesson eCommentary, 2009-2010, Standard Reference Library: New Testament Collection, Standard Reference Library: Old Testament Collection, The Jeremiah LifeWorks Library, The Jeremiah LifeWorks Library, Version 2, The MacArthur LifeWorks Library, The MacArthur LifeWorks Library, Version 2 (LDLS 3.0), The Thomas Nelson Bible Study Library, Upgrade Scholar's Library (RA) to Scholar's Library Silver Edition, Wesley/Clarke Collection, Wesleyan-Arminian Collection (LDLS 3.0), Word Biblical Commentary 58-Volume Set (LDLS 3.0)

3.  I am a United Methodist pastor and use Logos almost every day for preparing sermons, Bible studies, Sunday School classes, for my personal devotions, and for my continuing education classes.

4.  Abingdon Publishers ( a very big wish at this time), the Wesleyan Commentary Series, maybe even Alistair Begg's sermons from Truth for Life being converted to Logos, and someday the upgrade to Portfolio.  I just could not find the funds to move from Platinum to Portfolio at this time.  Also the ESV Study Bible notes.

A couple of items that would be of great benefit to me if someone had an answer for

a)  how to use the Handouts video

b)  more information on how Morris Proctor's Quick Files I and II can be adapted to Logos 4

May God bless all of the Logos users with a fire for spreading the gospel message this season!

Posts 6
Michael F Storz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 7:26 AM

Thank you Jayson for your encouragement.

I have been a Logos user for several years but have just fumbled my way through this.  I started with a Theological Journal CD (#1 & 2 I think), Discipleship Journal and McArthur's first CD. I wound up purchasing the Original languages package and have been adding language resources along with commentaries, dictionaries and encyclopedia resources when I can afford them. I am not interested in the books of the other series so I plan on sticking with the languages as long as Logos supports it.

I use Logos for personal bible study and may someday teach.

My wish list has research books on it. I am excited to see the partnership with Zondervan publishering and am looking forward to replacing my hard copy encyclopedia and other resources when it finally comes out. Oh, I almost forgot, I would like to attend a couple of the Logos camps as well. I almost had the money to attend the last one in the Sacramento area but I bought books instead. Oh well...

I think Erasmus said, "When I receive money I buy books and if there is any left over I buy food!" I think that is pretty much what I think too!

Posts 198
Bryan Brodess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 7:31 AM

Hi Michael,

Sounds like what I am doing. Although I wonder why the origional languages is not offered the "upgrade" option like the other are. If I can upgrade to leaders for 51 dollars. But must pay the whole price - 25% for the languages version.. Would love to upgrade to the languages..

Posts 3
Fred H Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 9:24 AM

My name is Fred Anderson. I'm a newbie to the forums even though I've been a Logos user for more than twenty years. I just upgraded to Logos 4, Scholar's Gold edition. I mostly use Logos for my personal Bible study and for blogging. I sometimes use the original languages in my study, but I could use some help in utilizing these resources more efficiently. What's on my Logos wish list? Right now, I'm saving up for the Logos edition of Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics. Geeked

Posts 5
David L. Garlich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:38 AM

Pastor Dave.  Been a logos user since the days of 3.5 disketts.  I believe the version was 1.2, perhaps 1.6 - trying to remember, I think it's been about a dozen years.  Love it.  I continued to update through the years, and until the recent edition of L4, I was using Libronix 3 Scholars Library.  My wife use to complain of books all over the table at home, but since Logos, my books are primarily on the computer, and she loves me for having it.

I may be "old" with Logos, but new with blogging.  I need all the help i can get.  I use Logos for ALL my sermon and lesson preparation.  I have 5 lessons/messages a week to prepare, and an additional Bible study or two at times.  Without Logos ability to put all my resources at my fingertips with lightning speed, I'd leave my dear folk starving for a solid, balanced, spiritual diet.

The hours Logos saves me each lesson is used to minister in other, more "material" ways.  It has been healthy for our church to have a pastor who "isn't available because he has to study now".  I am able to study in the wee hours of the morning, on the road, or sitting at the hospital with a family member.

About L4.  I liked my 3, so I reserve comment until I have a chance to learn to use for as effeciently as my 3.  I'm not a young man any more, so learning new languages is not easy, and for is a new language for me.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:10 AM

Mark Watson:
A couple of items that would be of great benefit to me if someone had an answer for    a) how to use the Handouts video
Welcome Mark (and all) to the forums, please join in the fun, there's lots to learn here.  As for a handouts video, I made a quick and dirty one.  There's a handouts link in my sig, look on the third page of that post I think and you'll see my video.  The handouts have lots of potential if you're willing to work with it's idiosyncrasies.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 1:38 PM

I cannot tell you how excited I am to see all these posts! I am doubly excited that so many are from first time posters, that is simply fantastic. Way to step it up you guys! Welcome, once again, to the community . . . there is a lot of great people here and tons of information.

Make sure, if you have specific questions, to make use of the "Search this site" function in the upper right hand corner. You will find that someone has probably thought to ask the same question before you. You can always start a thread of your own and solicit questions from some of these amazing users.

Thanks again for checking out the forums, we're glad you are here

Posts 7
Ronnie James | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:18 PM

Greetings Jayson,

Great idea of yours this open invitation to all us 'newbies' out there.  After reading through the latest posts I can see that, like me, a lot of you are new to the forums but not so new to Logos in general.  We're a right ol' mish-mash of a bunch.....but we all have one thing in common, appreciation for Logos Bible Software.

I myself jumped on the Logos band-wagon in September of last year with the Scholar's Library package under the 3.0x version.  After a year of bouncing between using and studying the contents of my library and getting to grips with the finer elements of the software, what does Logos go and do?  It goes and releases a major upgrade to V4 of the software.....not that I'm complaing in any way!  After doing a bit of research on what the new version had to offer, I decided to do a straight swap-over to the Scholar's Library V4 in early November.  The additional books that went along with the upgrade far out weighed the cost involved in the cross-over, and I get a 'leaner and meaner' product to boot.  I would love to have gone for the Scholar's Library:Gold but my budget dictates otherwise.

Along with the various freebies that Logos has given us over the past year and a bit, I've also added Day One Creation and Science Collection, Moody History Maker Collection and Word Biblical Collection to my library.  I'm also currently awaiting delivery of the John MacArthur Essential Bible Study Library.  Next year I plan to save up some more of my pennies and get the John Piper Collection.  The major item on my wish list though is nothing Logos can help me with!  What I'd personaly find extreamly useful would be a nice new shiny lap-top computer.  With one wife and six siblings to feed and water on a daily basis then that item is on the far distant horizon.

My main use of the software is for personal Bible study and I love the idea that I can do all of this without cluttering up by study area with a number of paper books opened up all over my desk.....I just close the software and they'll be neatly tucked away awaiting my next study session.  I've got all faith and trust in my new version but still have 3.0x installed on my desktop computer - don't want to lose all my notes etc. until V4 has the facility to transport them across.

There's so much more to tell.....but I'll leave that for some future posting.  'Till then I wish you all well where ever you may be.

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:29 PM

Thomas, thanks for the video.  I have downloaded all of the .pbb resources from your Truth is Still Truth site back in the 3.0 days.  Keep up the good works.

Posts 66
David Beard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:33 PM

Jayson--thanks for the welcome...just finished loading the scholars program and LOVE it.  Have owned some smaller libronix packages before, but have just gotten back to teaching some Sunday School, and had really lost track of my programs...this new Logos takes me to a whole new level!  Here is my first question that I haven't seen in the training videos.  When I add my own notes to a Bible verse, is there a way to make it flow through to all the Bible versions? or only to the preferred Bible that I highlight...As far as the wish list, would love to have the MacArthur Commentary set, but maybe later... 

Posts 14
Adam Carrigan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 5:23 PM

* Been using Logos for approx 2yrs.  Given Scholars Gold by a very generous person who didn't even know me but had a heart to serve pastors (also sent me to Camp Logos training).

* Also own Sermon File Add-in, Lucado Lifeworks, and one of the deluxe map packages.

* Use all this for personal study, sermon prep, and lesson prep (Sunday school)

* Wish list: Precept Ministries materials (Kay Arthur and others).  Also, Logos 4 upgrade (currently I'm unemployed, so it doesn't seem prudent to invest now, though I'd really like to).

Posts 16
Donald E. Stidwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 7:34 PM

Well, I'm the newbiest of the newbies! I just purchased the Bible Study collection yesterday (the price was irresistable).

I'm actually primarily a Mac user and use Accordance on my Macs. However, I wanted a great Bible Study program for my one Windows machine and decided on Logos because the consensus I had read pegged Logos as the best of the best for Windows Bible software.

Logos is totally unlike any other Bible study software I've ever used and I'm still getting my head around it, but I really do like what I see so far and am very impressed. My only issue is that my Windows box is a netbook so it is a little slow, but not unusable by any means.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can use my library on both my iPhone & my Mac. Wow - now that's value! The Mac program isn't nearly feature complete enough yet to even come close to supplanting Accordance, but I can certainly see its great potential and I'll be looking forward to seeing it grow to be as good as the Windows version. But as I have stated, I'm totally wowed by the ability to use my resources on three platforms - not to mention the value of the package I bought. To say I'm impressed is an understatement.

Good job, folks. Glad to be onboard with Logos and it will definitely get a workout on my Windows machine until the Mac version is up to par. Thanks for an impressive program and unmatched flexibility in cross-platform usage.

Posts 1
Noel A Ramsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:01 PM

1. I have been a Logos user since early 2006.

2. Currently, I own the Logos Gold edition, but will be upgrading to the Platinum within a few days.

3. I have found Logos Bible Software EXTREMELY helpful in my studies at university. I am working towards the completion of an honors double major in Religious Studies and History, specializing in the formation of the early Church.

In addition, I have found Logos to be an indispensable tool that God continues to use in my spiritual formation as well as in my Bible Studies. It is an INCREDIBLE tool for studying God's Word.

4. I have only one Logos package on my Christmas list because of its cost - the Hermeneia CD-ROM collection. It is an amazing resource and I hope that my friends and family will help me shoulder the burden.

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:31 PM

Hi Jayson and everyone!

LOGOS user:  I have used Logos since a dear man came to CCC summer training in Ft. Collins, CO, possibly 1992? to sell his Bible Study Software (can't remember his name, I thought it was a Mr. Pritchard, but Bob's picture is way too young to be him.  I thought he had a beard.  Hmmm...I'd know him if I saw him!)  Anyway, I had just really learned how to do word studies at that time, and I kept telling him I wanted, no needed, the Zodhiates books; he patiently assured me they would come in their time.  I trusted him, trusted the concept, (Logos didn't have anything in print to learn from) and longed for access into more of God's Word, so I bought the software and have hung on for the remarkable ride all these years.  I have gone to Morris' seminars a couple of times and have come home fervently praying for wisdom to use what I had learned.

RESOURCES:  Too, too, too many to list.  I have purchased many of the sets of conservative commentaries through the years, Grammar, Interlinears, Surveys, and as many Theological and Lexical aids, etc. as possible.  A few of my favorites for enjoyable reading are Pink and Calvin and Wuest.  I have Platinum and have upgraded to L4.  I think I already love it!

TASKS:  I teach Bible classes and How to study the Bible classes.  I use Logos for all parts of studying that come after I have scoured each book of the Bible for weeks--just me and God, just sitting at His feet listening, listening, listening, ever so closely to His every voice...  Just like shepherdess, I check out all the available pasture I can for a flock, and then bring them to it so they may eat.  Logos helps me to check out more pastureland.

LOGOS LIST:  A few of the bigger sets of commentaries that I have missed through the years on pre-pub NICOT & NICNT... Oh, and I missed Ironside...  and, okay, I would love the Portfolio!

I'm thankful for the invitation to join you all.

In all I do and say...about my Father's business...

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 51
Andrew Loney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:59 PM

I don't consider my self a newbie although I haven't posted often.
I've been using Logos since version 2.0 (came with diskettes), starting with Level 2. I upgraded to Scholar's Library when version 3 came out. Now I've upgraded to Platinum with version 4. I've purchased a number of other resources as well for a total of 1389 resources in v4 (about 100 more in version 3).

I'm very interested in the original languages, in particular Greek. I'm teaching myself Greek using the tools and resources in Logos. Not very quickly, mind you, but I have had occasion to realize that I've learned more than I think. Not only of languages, but of the amazing history of biblical studies in its incredibly varied forms.

Getting up to speed with Logos4 is a mixed bag of surprises, struggles, aha's, searching, finding and not finding, exploring, frowning and smiling. I miss some of the features in Logos3 that either haven't made it into Logos4 or I haven't figured out. I know there's some of both. I recall that I spent a good bit of time figuring out Logos3 and I'm confident that I will eventually be as comfortable in Logos4 as I am in now in Logos3. In the process.

Logos4 does a lot more automatically for me than Logos3. This is wonderful and at the same time frustrating when it doesn't do what I wanted. I don't feel like I have as much control. This is particularly evident when I'm looking up something about a word or subject in a resource I'm reading. Sometimes, no references are shown even though I know they exist in my library. I've noticed this particularly with non-english language words.

My wishes:
Lower prices.
Ability to store/cache books on the iphone. The current process of loading books online nearly cripples my ability to use Logos4 on the iphone. I live in a location where the phone network is not fast enough to support this kind of data connection.
Ability to remove books from the bookshelf on the iphone.
Split screen capability on the iphone.
Ability to take notes and highlight on the iphone.

I look forward to the continuing improvements. Thank you and God bless.

Posts 14
Adam Carrigan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:36 AM

Sharon, I resonate with your method of Bible study and preparation to teach (spend lots of time with God in the text before consulting other resources).  It reminds me of my own training in Bible college, what I've found most helpful, and what I saw in a dear lady and gifted teacher at our last church. 

Question: What do you use for teaching "How to Study the Bible"?  That is one of my passions, and I'm interested in building my knowledge base of how to do it.

- Adam

Posts 1
gkp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 5:02 AM

Hi Jayson and Group, I have been using Logos since 9/05---it was my retirement present to myself and I keep adding books. I have the Leader's package and my favorite thing has been the ability to add the lifeworks libraries of my favorite authors so I have David Jeremiah, Vernon McGee, and John McArthur. I love Logos 4 now that I have figured out how to copy verses. I use Logos to help me with the on line mentoring that I do for Truthmedia (Campus Crusade for Christ) so I am always using search, copy and paste to easily add Scripture to my mentoring responses. I use it for my personal Bible Study and love that I can now make a reading plan for any book. My wish list would be having the ability to set the time that updates are downloaded because we have no limits from 2 AM to 6 AM but have limits during the day (satellite internet). Logos has the best tech help and  customer service I have ever experienced! You guys are the best!

Posts 3
Lynn Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 5:16 AM

Hi! I'm Lynn from Upstate New York and have been a very happy and satisfied customer of Logos since about 1995 when my daughter & son-in-law gave me a very early version (could it have been the first?) as a Christmas gift. I have been an avid Bible student for MANY years, and Logos has been with me right through my call to pastoral ministry, seminary and 12 years of serving churches!

Yes, I am a newbie at forums (have read them but rarely post). Thank you for the invite! I look forward to gaining confidence in this regard :)

I own too numerous resources and packages to list here, but I will mention that I upgraded to Logos 4 Gold Scholar from Logos 3 Gold Scholar. I have Max Lucado's collection as well as others (Jeremiah, MacArthur, & Sproul). Word Commentary is just the best for commentaries.

I use my Logos software for sermon prep, Bible study, for personal  spiritual growth (devotions, Bible reading, books on Christian living) & for professional growth (leadership series, etc.). This year I am doing an advent devotional (on my Kindle) and writing my reflections ( Logos note file) in a layout with just 2 Bible versions. I have never done this before and I am so happy to be able to do it this way.

Hmmmm, my Logos wish list: Well, I already have some of that waiting in the wings on pre-pub, but I am wishing that the sermon & illustration file would be available (I hear it's coming soon). I would also like to be able to access the video series, The Greatest Book, in Logos 4 and be able to project for a class rather than have just for personal use. I also wish book reader (Kindle, Nook, ereader, etc) applications could be linked or imported - with proper citations, of course! - so that things like my Advent devotional could all be in one place for cohesive and future reference. Now that I am using more digital based reading media I miss all the highlighting and scribbled notes in my paper-bound issues. I would love to have all my digital books in one "library" on my computer (could Logos partner with amazon.com in some way?) I'm also wishing for Logos on my Blackberry Tour....

Thanks so much for this opportunity to brag on Logos. I have been amazed at the company's growth and so appreciative of all the ways the folks at Logos have responded to and supported their constituency. God bless your ministry!

Posts 9
Daisy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:28 AM

This really is a great place to go for help and encouragement.  I have had Logos 3 Gold for about a year and a half.  And I definitely cannot yell loud enough about how much I love that program.  I have used a lot of different Bible software but Logos 3 is extremely, exponentially better than all other software out there! 

I just upgraded from L3 Gold to L4 Platinum.  I  posted a query on this forum about my struggles with Logos4 right before I saw your posting.    I am having a hard time with L4.   I like L3 only having 2 columns and the tabs at the bottom allowing you to go from book to report etc., easily.  I also loved L3's ESV Interlinear.  L4's interlinear is so small and I keep looking up and down, up and down to figure the words out.  I am terribly new at this, there is probably a way to fix it or change it....I don't know.  And that's just it.  I need to learn all this that I don't know.  I have gone thru a few of the training videos but still need to finish what Logos has provided.  I know the video lessons for Logos 3 were wonderful!

I use my software for studying my Bible.  I used to teach Sunday school and Precept Inductive Studies whiles back.  I am disabled now and I haven't been able to go to church, bible studies, etc...  for a long time.  Logos 3 has enabled me though to grow closer to my Lord...I know that sounds hokey but when I am studying and all that info is so readily available, I get so excited that I stay in His Word longer and I feel His presence so strong, 

My wish list was recently fulfilled when Logos made the Jensen's Survey of the Old and New Testaments.  I would love for Logos to publish Precept Workbooks and also Watchman Nee books.

Posts 23
Ellie Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:01 AM

Adam --

Have you ever investigated Precept Ministry's "Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days" by Kay Arthur? It is the BEST methodology I have ever encountered. I've been using it for 10 years and have come to know the Lord through His word. It goes hand-in-hand with Logos resources too...word studies, using commentaries, etc.

- Ellie

Page 2 of 9 (176 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS