Three day Steven Runge Greek Discourse workshop in the UK - just £30!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13213
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 1 2013 4:54 PM

If you use Logos' Greek Discourse material, you'll know that most of it is produced by Logos' Steven Runge. If you're in the UK you might like to know that Steven is teaching a three day Greek Discourse workshop at the WEST seminary in South Wales, and it's open to visitors who pre-book. There's no information on the website yet, but here's the blurb they've sent out by email:

What accounts for the variety of ways used in Greek to introduce speeches in the New Testament? How do those little Greek connective words work together to structure the text? Why the shifts between aorist, present and imperfect verbs in the flow of a narrative? Questions such as these are the concern of discourse grammar. And they're of significant relevance to all students of the Greek New Testament, not just academics, but particularly, pastors and teachers. For this reason WEST has invited Dr Steve Runge, the author of Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Indroduction for the Greek New Testament and Exegesis, to run a three day worskshop on discourse features of the Greek of the New Testament. You can find out more about him here

The workshop is intended for all who have at least a basic facility in Greek, so that even those whose Greek is rusty or whose vocabulary is limited should be able to benefit. If you've taken a year of Greek and you're comfortable working with an interlinear text, then the workshop will be accessible to you. If your ability is more advanced, there will still be much to learn. You can see Steve's introduction to a similar workshop here.

Greek Discourse Workshop
Date: Wednesday 3rd to Friday 5th July 2013
Leader: Dr Steve Runge

To make this course as accessible as possible for pastors and students, WEST is offering this three-day workshop for the remarkably low cost of £30. Bed, breakfast, lunch and an evening meal are also available for an additional cost per day. To enquire or register, please send your name, postal address, email address and phone number to greekdiscourse@west.org.uk . It would also be helpful if you provided a brief indication of your level of Greek. Please feel free to make this information known to anyone who may benefit from the workshop. Thank you.

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 5:18 PM

Mark Barnes:
If you're in the UK you might like to know that Steven is teaching a three day Greek Discourse workshop

This is wonderful news Mark!

Would there be any way to influence Logos to offer coverage in DVD format say in the way with what they are doing with Pastorum or with what they are doing with Camp Logos?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 5:32 PM

That's some price! Pity I'm not in the UK.Sad

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2013 4:36 AM

Excellent news. Thanks for flagging this, Mark.

Posts 1
John Kendall | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:43 PM

Thanks for flagging this, Mark. 

The very latest details, including a provisional programme and online booking facility can be found on WEST's website here: www.west.org.uk/greek-discourse-workshop/.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2013 6:51 AM

Peace, Mark!         *smile*                 It's great that you've shared this!                 Sounds really exciting................

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 9:24 AM

I am really looking forward to this as well. We will be offering an afternoon workshop the last day of ETS in Baltimore November 22, and then I'll be teaching through the whole discourse grammar workshop at SBTS in January 2014. There might the be option to add something in conjunction with the national Camp Logos next year, but it would really depend on interest. Hope one of the booked dates work for some of you.

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 9:58 AM

Dr. Runge,

Do you have any more information about the workshop at SBTS, such as dates? I'd love to attend if possible!

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 10:23 AM

Dr. Steven Runge (Logos):
I'll be teaching through the whole discourse grammar workshop at SBTS in January 2014
Will that be a workshop format or are you teaching a class as adjunct?

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 10:47 AM

Dr Runge:

What level of Greek is expected from the participants (for the WEST course)?

I've only done introductory level so far and wonder whether that is sufficient.

Posts 578
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 11:05 AM

Hello, BriM,

Mark Barnes' initial post in this thread includes the following: "The workshop is intended for all who have at least a basic facility in Greek, so that even those whose Greek is rusty or whose vocabulary is limited should be able to benefit. If you've taken a year of Greek and you're comfortable working with an interlinear text, then the workshop will be accessible to you. If your ability is more advanced, there will still be much to learn."

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 11:46 AM

Steve Maling:
Mark Barnes' initial post in this thread includes the following

Looks like I can't read English either. Embarrassed

Posts 578
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 12:20 PM

Hello again, BriM,

Welcome to the club of those of us who overlook things. I like lots of companySmile

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 11:12 AM

Hi,

Regarding the WEST workshop, it will be part lecture and part extemporaneous exposition through Philippians and some passages from Luke. There should be a schedule available from WEST.

The workshop in November is a "come and see" event for those interested in discourse studies, but without any background. It is Friday afternoon, Nov. 22. The room listing will be assigned by SBL, so look it up under the additional meetings.

The class at Southern Seminary is scheduled for Jan 6-10, but nothing is firmed up yet. You'd need to contact them in the fall about registering.

If you want to get a sense of what the workshops are like there are some YouTube clips from the 2009 workshop that have been posted, try here for some of them.

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:38 PM

Steven, do you think you might be able to make a trip down under to Australia one day?

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 1:27 PM

Most of these trips originate from a school inviting me to come as a visiting professor. I have few connections down under, but would be very interested in looking into it. In the mean time, there is a DVD covering the same content, overviewing the Discourse Grammar. I'll post back here on the forums if anything comes up.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS