Touch friendly user interface

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 53
Jeff Miles | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 2 2013 10:35 AM

Please make the interface more touch friendly. Touch screens are the trend and here to stay, even when running Desktop applications under Windows 8. And, now that the new tablets, like the Surface Pro, with the full version of Windows OS are out and will continue to grow in popularity, it seems obvious that Logos 5 needs to be touch friendly. (I'm not talking about the Logos app that runs under Windows RT. I'm talking about the full version of Logos 5 that runs under full Windows OS.)

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2013 10:51 AM

I agree.  You might also actually recommend which budget machines actually run the software some day too please.

Posts 10445
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:10 AM

Touch-friendly is certainly a worthy goal. And thank you, pistos, for this thread!

But goodness ... Logos4/5 is a long way from touch anything.

I use both Libronix and Logos5 on a touchscreen; Libronix is the easier.  Very click-able, though my inertial finger scroller works on Logos5 but not Libronix. 

Yes, if you miss in Logos5 by a hair, you can spend hours re-grouping (since they don't have any 'Are you sure??').

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:37 PM

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Samsung-ATIV-700T.htm

Posts 6
Neal Bowes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:33 AM

I have installed Logos 5 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's an amazing little ($300) tablet running the full version of Windows 8.1. I can do all my research for a Bible Study on my desktop machine, save my discussion questions in a note, and head into the lesson with just the tablet. I open the notes in the left panel and the Scripture on the right side. It's almost perfect.

It's just that the Logos interface isn't very touch friendly. Here are a couple of improvements I'd hope for:

1. I can't CTRL+CLick with touch. When you have a Scripture reference inside a note, you can CTRL+Click it to have it open in the Scripture pane. With touch, you have to press and hold for the right-click menu to come up and then select "open hyperlink." I only seem to be able to get the menu to come up about 20% of the time, though. I would like it to be a single-click mechanism. (The problem is that single click positions the cursor, because the note thinks you always want to edit it. Give me an edit icon to edit it and free up the single-click to open the Scripture.)

2. There should be a touch panel for entering Scripture passages to jump to, instead of having to type them in. Touch inside the search box on the Scripture pane, a panel comes up with the books listed. Touch a book, the chapter numbers come up. Touch a chapter number, the verse numbers come up. Touch a verse number and it takes you to that place. ALL of the mobile Bible apps have this funciton.

3. Scrolling needs to be vastly improved.

I'm sure there are other things, but we need for the designers to be thinking about touch more often now. Thanks for a great product, though!

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 11:33 AM

Great notes and recommendations Neal.  I am sorry to sound like sour grapes (God and friends forgive me) but no one at Logos really seems to care about this at all in my opinion.  Worse, there is no inexpensive Windows 8.1 hardware that can do whatever we need and want it to anyway.

Heavy Sigh.

Posts 27959
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 3:13 PM

JoshInRI:

Great notes and recommendations Neal.  I am sorry to sound like sour grapes (God and friends forgive me) but no one at Logos really seems to care about this at all in my opinion.  Worse, there is no inexpensive Windows 8.1 hardware that can do whatever we need and want it to anyway.

Heavy Sigh.

Really? No one at Logos cares? Does somebody need a hug? Wink

Touch screens are relatively new, and most computers still don't have them. Why should Logos waste time on this right now? I believe it will come, but the hardware (and it's adoption) will have to happen first. Also note: this will likely require a UI change as well. I can't believe how many people are wanting to buy a tablet device to run "full logos" when the UI isn't designed for it!

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6
Neal Bowes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 3:48 PM

Touch screens are still relatively new, but that is the direction everything is headed. A lot of laptops are touchscreens now--and a lot of them are such that their screens are detachable, making them a tablet, too. The new desktops all-in-ones are touchscreens. Windows 8.1 is touch-centric.

Now, granted, even the Microsoft Office programs aren't as touch-friendly as the should/ultimately will be...but I'll bet they are working on it. And I think the designers at Logos should be working on it too, because that's the direction we are going. I think the current seminary students are laptop/desktop people, but I think the next set of them will be tablet/touchscreen people. It makes sense to continue to develop the product to be ready for the next group of users. It's not time wasted, it's securing the future of the product.

And the Dell Venue 8 Pro is snappy and reliable. It does run the full version of Logos very well, right now. A couple of UI enhancements, and it would be a real pleasure to use it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS