Logos Harlem Shake: Dear Bob and Dan Pritchett

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 9:13 PM

I've heard more and better theology in a 3 minute "christian rap" song, than I have in many full houor tv sermons. 

Don't forget our hymnal is full of re-written bar songs. The whole "christian rap" thing is the current generation generating doing the exact same thing that was once done in our hymnal. new hymns based upon old bar songs. 

As a member of the SBC, the song "Doxology" was quite scandalous when it first came out. Now, its quite common to hear it in a sbc church. 

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 9:17 PM

The Logos shake thing is cute. But I'm not a big fan of the harlem shake or fads in general. Can anyone translate the words into english?

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 9:55 PM

abondservant:
I've heard more and better theology in a 3 minute "christian rap" song, than I have in many full houor tv sermons. 

I agree. I've never been a big fan rap, but there have been some exceptions. I just ran across an album that I'm thinking of picking up on Amazon's New Releases. It's a rap worship album!?! The first track starts out a bit hard, but I kind of like what I've heard of some of the following tracks:

http://www.amazon.com/Raging-Strong/dp/B00B8NGUJ8/

I love finding new and different (to me) music that seeks to give glory and praise to the Lord. I enjoy nearly every genre of music. I love diversity. And just glancing around, I think maybe He does too.

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 10:14 PM

Lecrae who has a few videos recommending Logos floating around, is another personal favorite. I went to undergraduate with another guy from that same record company - KB. Both are phenomenal  and I can vouch for KB's love of the Lord above everything else. 

Lecrae for instance has a song that says: 

Lord kill me If I don't preach the Gospel. I'm still in my 20's- but I'll die if I've got to.  I'm already dead- so forget my flesh. 

Later: been to china man, I seen some real persecution. If You didn't know Christ would your life look the same? Can they tell you value Jesus by the way you represent his name? Man what's the point of living if I'm living for myself. Lord empty out my life before I put you on the shelf. So for God I go Hard I don't want to die tonight, there's too many people living who haven't heard about my Christ.

Imagine a generation of young people with that kind zeal for the Lord? Another song of his that I like "Don't want to waste my life"

"Don't want to Waste my life
No I gotta make it count
If Christ is real then what am I gonna do about it
Everything in Luke 12: 15 down to 21
You've really gotta go and check it out
Paul said if Christ ain't resurrected, then we've wasted our lives
Well that implies that our life's built around Jesus being alive
Everyday I'm living tryin' to show the world why
Christ is more than everything you'll ever try"

Later he says: "We're created for Him
Outta the dust he made us for Him
Elects us and he saves us for Him
Jesus comes and he raises for Him
Magnify the Father why bother with something lesser
He made us so we could bless Him
To the world we confess Him
Resurrects Him
So I know I got life
Matter fact better man I know I got Christ
If you don't see His ways in my days and nights
You can hit my brakes you can stop my life
Then I lost my rights
I lost my life
Forget the money cars and toss that ice
The cost is Christ
And they could never offer me anything on the planet that would cost that price."

He's going to one of my seminaries sister schools, and they are reformed soteriologically in case the lyrics made you wonder. But still! Imagine a generation of teens sold out to the Lord, singing - praying - that if they cease to bring glory to God, that God would take them home. If this continues to take hold in the urban environments as its been, we could be on the cusp of another awakening. If so, Praise the Lord, if not, praise God any way because young people are getting excited about the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:22 AM

DAL:

Sorry buddy, but that's a carnal mindset.  A lot of things are the "rage" these days, but as Christians we must abstain from them because they are simply not lawful for us to engage in them.  Remember, we live in this world but we are not of the world.  It amazes me how many "religious groups" have bought into the idea that they have to make a "Christian Version" of all things: e.g. Christian Rap, Christian Metal, Christian Salsa, etc. According to the Bible, that just doesn't cut it.  Anyway, just make sure you do not get squeezed in to the mold of this world.

Blessings!

DAL

I really hope I'm reading this wrong.  Are you saying that various "Christian versions" of things like particular kinds of music are biblically wrong?  Because that's kinda what it sounds like you're saying.  And that's kinda mindblowingly ridiculous, to say the least.
Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 6:57 AM

Absolutely correct (again). There's not a shread of evidence Jesus went among the unclean gentiles (a couple accidental encounters occurred when his 'guard' was in town getting food, etc).  He left a clear example for us.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:47 AM

The sermons/books from the IFB crowd on their extra-Biblical belief of what "Do not be of this World" means reminds me of the works the Pharisees had on what they believed "Keeping the Sabbath" meant.

The Bible defines what being of this World means.  We don't need any extra-Biblical information.

Posts 29
LogosEmployee
Jeremy Einfeld | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 9:48 AM

Please refrain from turning this into a debate.

Posts 6699
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 3:05 PM

Jeremy Einfeld:

Please refrain from turning this into a debate.

Thanks Jeremy.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 67
Jeff Hetrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:06 PM

Follow Dan's example and lighten up folks.  It's very possible that I'm wrong but it's a fair assumption that everyone posting here is a brother or sister in Christ. 

For those who might want to rap about that you might also find that you would find some good doctrine set to Country.  My personal music library is mostly Christian PoP but I do have some old stuff from DC Talk... has some pretty good rap under the title Jesus Freak.  Funny, I was listening to that one, for the first time in years, this morning getting ready for work.Wink   

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:20 PM

My growing afinity for rap started with DcTalk - through Toby Mac. Then I met KB, who introduced me to the music of Lecrae, tripp lee, tedashi, and so forth.

That said one of my favorite cd's (and the one currently over the visor in my car) is Alan Jackson's Precious Memories - hymns set to country music. My tastes are far more eclectic than one might suspect.

Also, I'm from a rural area and relatively white (dads side is mostly Irish and Scottish, Moms is about 1/3 Irish, 1/3 American indian, and 1/3 spanish - from spain). I suppose I don't exactly fit the stereotypical demographic. However I love the intent and lyrical "sermons", and the rest is growing on me.

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 2:16 PM

Someone sent me a link to the video I was talking about earlier, which I am now sharing with you guys :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfO9HsxOY-0

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS