Logos 5 takes over the computer when an internet connection is lost. must force quit many times a day.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26
Mike Finnie MAR, Theology | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:57 PM

I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this problem, but it is very frustrating.  Sometimes I dread using Logos 5 if there is a chance that it will connect to the internet.  I live where the DSL is unstable; drops off every 30 minutes or so.  If I'm using Logos when that happens (or happen to leave it open), Logos 5 will try to sync continuously and will consume over 100% of the processor speed, the cooling fans will run at over 4,000 rpm, the heat builds up rapidly, and the battery drains (from 84% to 40% in just a few minutes).  The only way to stop it is to force quit the application, let everything settle down, turn off the internet connectivity on computer, and go back into logos.  If I connect to the internet afterwards, I will have the problem when Logos tries to sync.  Normally I must force quit to close the application because as soon as it thinks there was a connection, it will drain the battery trying to close the app (never does close).

Is there anything that can be done to the program that will "tell it" not to keep trying to sync if there is no internet connectivity?  Seems a waste to have to work offline and not be able to connect to the internet for anything else while working with Logos.  It is a very frustrating process to use Logos any more.

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 9:18 PM

You can set "Use Internet" to "no" in Logos's Program Settings (in the Tools menu) and it will not try to sync at all, whether there is internet connectivity or not. Then you can force a sync manually whenever you feel like it, if you know there is connectivity, by clicking on the sync arrows. I don't think there's a way to tell Logos "if you find the Internet is down when you try to sync, don't try again for at least X hours" but that would be helpful in such situations.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 7:23 AM

Rosie Perera:
Then you can force a sync manually whenever you feel like it, if you know there is connectivity, by clicking on the sync arrows.

I believe I have a faint memory of one of the devs saying that doing that could cause troubles, that the ability to do it was a bug, and that it would be removed. So it might be better to do it by setting Use Internet to Yes again and restarting, when being somewhere with a good connection.

Remember, if you don't sync regularly, you really need to make your own backups, or you may lose a lot of data if your computer breaks down or something.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 24935
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 4:49 PM

fgh:
I believe I have a faint memory of one of the devs saying that doing that could cause troubles, that the ability to do it was a bug, and that it would be removed.

Correct. Sync now generates a warning that it cannot be used when offline (Use Internet = NO requires a restart to be effective, so the program is still online until you restart Logos). 

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3153
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 10:22 AM

Just so I get what you're saying clear. Logos' sync arrows indicate it is still trying to sync, even after the machine has lost it's internet connection? I'm pretty sure we would prefer it just stop syncing when the internet connection is lost. Can you provide logs of this happening via our new log utility? www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/logging

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS