Logos on Solid State Drive

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 224
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:11 AM

Hello Friends,

I am thinknig about adding a second hard-drive to my custom desktop. I am wondering if I got a solid state drive, and moved Logos over to that drive, would it increase my performance?

Note: I would keep my windows 7 installation on my current harddrive, and would only move Logos over to the secondary SSD drive.

Rev. Ben Hein

Shady Grove Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Reformed Theological Seminary, M.Div (2017)

www.shadygrovepca.org

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:20 AM

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, you will definitely see a benefit but due to the nature of Logos' implementation, the scale of performance increase will vary with system configurations.

Posts 9146
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:27 AM

I can't believe the difference in my Logos performance since moving to a SSD. It used to take forever for indexing and now I barely even notice it.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 224
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:28 AM

OK, so to confirm, even though my OS will remain on my old 7200 RPM HDD, moving logos to a new SSD will still increase performance?

Rev. Ben Hein

www.shadygrovepca.org

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:30 AM

I echo the above replies.  I added a SSD to my MacBook Pro and it's so quick, it now performs searches before I've even thought of them. Big Smile

If you can afford a SSD, I don't think you'll regret it!

EDIT - I can't comment on the OS side of things, since everything on my MBP is on a SSD.

Posts 9146
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:30 AM

Ben Hein:

OK, so to confirm, even though my OS will remain on my old 7200 RPM HDD, moving logos to a new SSD will still increase performance?

Just to clarify. It will not change everything but indexing time will improve for sure.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:47 AM

Yes it will. Like Bruce said, opening resources, indexing, and searching should see improvements. Pairing your SSD upgrade with a GPU upgrade will help even more when it comes to actual day-to-day operation.

Posts 1920
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:52 AM

Ben Hein:

I just made this change myself about 3 weeks ago. I installed a Samsung 840 Pro (note the "Pro" version - highly recommended) SSD. I moved Logos to it using the guide on the wiki. My O.S. is still on a standard 7200 RPM drive.

Logos is significantly faster now. It's hard to overstate how much faster indexing is. But beyond that, the app is finally snappy (though not quite yet instantaneous ;). Searches are quicker. Dropdowns to filter resources on which to search are much more responsive. Loading layouts isn't a cause for leaving the room (and I have a Core i7 CPU w/ 12GB RAM and a fast graphics card).

Very much worth the expense and effort, IMO.

Donnie

Posts 224
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:56 AM

Donnie,

Sounds like we have similar PC specs. Could you post the link to the wiki you used when you have a chance?

Rev. Ben Hein

www.shadygrovepca.org

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:57 AM

Just picked up a 120gb ssd with the new sandforce controller. Supposed to get 550mbps. Pretty excited to get everything (well, my OS and Logos any way) migrated over.

If you would like, I will post specs (or novalog bench mark) and time out certain things - like logos start time, boot time, and so forth...

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1920
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:59 AM

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

I used Method 2, and I did have to end it with the "scan {path}" step.

Donnie

Posts 224
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:00 AM

scan is from the cmd line?

Rev. Ben Hein

www.shadygrovepca.org

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:23 AM

abondservant:

Just picked up a 120gb ssd with the new sandforce controller.

ABS makes a subtle but important point.  It would be worth consulting your current system specs to include answering the question on what SATA interface is supported by your system BIOS.  The controller is an important part of that configuration.  You need to make sure your system will support a SSD.  Although there are advantages to SSD regardless, unless the system supports SATA III it will not operate at the 6GB interface rate.  (SATA interface information here)  The system will automatically operate on the lowest comon denomenator.  If you have an old system with SATA I that's all your going to get, regardless of the drive throughput.  If you have a newer system it probably supports SATA III.  Again, the drive itself will operate faster than traditional hard drive, but the system would not be at its full potential.

Just something to look into before you plunk down your hard-earned cash.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:28 AM

Thanks for the warning! But my relatively new sabertooth 990fx rev 2.0 motherboard should have no problem with the latest iteration of the Sata interface.

Still willing to post benchmarks... Will be cloning the drive everything is on right now, to the new 120gb drive here in a few hours... So if there is anything anyone wants for a "before" speed check, speak now or forever hold your peace :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:35 AM

My comment was more for Ben.  He didn't mention any specifics about his system.

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:38 AM

Ben, just keep in mind that you will achieve the best results by having both the OS and Logos on the SSD.  However, perhaps the drive is too small or you do not wish to reformat (etc) to place the OS on the new drive and make it your primary?  No need to answer this question.

Regards

Posts 224
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:45 AM

Hey Friends-

I build my own PC's, currently running an i7, 8gb ram, sabertooth MOBO with SATA 3 conenctivity, and a high end NVIDIA GPU. When I built this one about a year ago, I didn't want to invest in SSD because they were quite expensive at that time. I have about 400gb on my current HDD, so I don't want to get a SSD big enough for all that.

I'm also lazy, and don't want to go through backing up everything and reformatting the drive, then reinstalling the OS on a new SSD. Trying to take the easy way out by just setting up a second drive and moving Logos over.

Rev. Ben Hein

www.shadygrovepca.org

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:31 PM

Ben Hein:

The answer is not quite that simple. Things will certainly be faster if you move everything to an SSD.   If you only move the Logos program to an SSD that will not help much.   If you can't move the entire system, what you would need to do is to move the Logos resources and index files to an SSD.   That is easy to do with L3. But L4 and higher stash all this stuff into a hidden folder somewhere deep in your user folders.   The best way to go is to (1) replace the HD with an SSD large enough to hold everything or (2) use SSD caching (only available on certain systems).   If your computer is an older one with 3.0Gb/s Sata ports, not the newer 6.0Gb/s ones ... the speed increase from an SSD will still be nice, but not quite as amazing.   As far as hard drives go, RPM is no longer a good indicator of access and transfer speeds. Newer drives with 1TB of data or more can run slower and still transfer data faster. This is because the data density under the read/write head is greater, hence more data per revolution.   About a year ago I replaced my 10,000 RPM 150 GB Western Digital Raptor drive with a 7500 RPM 1TB Caviar Black. I was expecting lower performance but wanted the larger storage capacity. To my amazement, when I ran a performance analysis, the Caviar Black was faster at everything.   I still have this same drive in my newest system, but have added Intel SSD caching (Smart Response Technology) on a small (60GB) SSD. This gives me the speed of an SSD with the storage capacity of the hard drive.  
Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:44 PM

Ben Hein:

Hey Friends-

I build my own PC's, currently running an i7, 8gb ram, sabertooth MOBO with SATA 3 conenctivity, and a high end NVIDIA GPU. When I built this one about a year ago, I didn't want to invest in SSD because they were quite expensive at that time. I have about 400gb on my current HDD, so I don't want to get a SSD big enough for all that.

If you are running an Intel chipset Z68 or later then it is likely that your motherboard already supports Intels Smart Response Technology. Drop in a 60GB (and only $100) SDD, and the system will cache the most frequently used files on your hard drive. Sounds like this could be your best solution. You wouldn't even have to reinstall anything.   You do have to convert from AHCI mode to RAID mode, but the Intel software does this easily for you from within Windows.   Note: 60GB is the maximum Intels SRT can use. No point buying a larger one. Be sure to get an Intel SSD. Other brands have had problems with SRT (surprise?).
Posts 2161
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 5:02 PM

I have two very high end new computers, Win 8 16 GB RAM, 3 GB graphics cards and nearly the latest CPU's.  Both have Logos:  one installed with regular 7600 PRM hard drives and one has the OS and Logos on an SSD. The computer with the SSD is noticeably faster in some ways such as indexing, but in overall use its is not greatly faster.  If you have a fast system already, I don't think you will be impressed much by SSD performance improvement.  The laggy areas of Logos will lag pretty much the same. However, compared to yet another old computer I have still running Logos 4 and Win XP--Whew!  It is fast!    

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS