Need a way to search through Collection rules for a tag

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 16 2013 3:29 AM

When cleaning up my tagging, I sometimes find that I was inconsistent about tagging things on a certain topic. But renaming the tag in the few places where it's wrong might break some of my collections. I would like a way to answer the question "what collections do I have that mention the tag XXX in their rule?" so that I can go through and fix those up as necessary.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 4:45 AM
Could you make a collection of all your collections, limit the library to that collection, and then sort the library by tags?
Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 4:55 AM

Halo Hound:
Could you make a collection of all your collections, limit the library to that collection, and then sort the library by tags?

A) That sounds like a lot of work. I have upwards of 150 collections. Dragging them all into one collection (and keeping that up-to-date as I add more collections) would be a pain. B) It would only identify what books are in collections that mention that tag, not what collections mention that tag. Of course with the new feature that's coming in 5.1 I would be able to see what collections each book is part of, but still I'd have to go through each and every book that was found to have that tag. Anyway, wouldn't it be simpler to just filter the library by mytag:XXX and go through all those books looking for what collections they're in? I admit that this is a rather obscure feature request that would only be used in very limited situations by very few users, so I'm not holding out hope for it. I could always hack my collections db (wherever those are stored) if I were really desperate, but I wouldn't be. I don't touch those db files, and don't recommend it to others!
Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:05 AM

Ya, it would be a lot of work. And you would probably end up looking at all your resources in your library anyway. the good news is that it does seem logos is on the pathway to providing some of this type of functionality with the latest beta that is coming out. 

All I want is for links in saved guides to work, but I've never received much feedback that would make me optimistic.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:06 AM

Rosie Perera:
I would like a way to answer the question "what collections do I have that mention the tag XXX in their rule?" so that I can go through and fix those up as necessary.

Wonder about a Logos Tool to show Library Collection rules with filtering ?

SELECT Title AS Collection, IncludedLibraryCatalogQuery AS "Start with resources matching" FROM ResourceCollections WHERE LOWER(IncludedLibraryCatalogQuery) LIKE '%mytag%' ORDER BY Title

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2013 10:33 AM

Rosie Perera:
Of course with the new feature that's coming in 5.1 I would be able to see what collections each book is part of, but still I'd have to go through each and every book that was found to have that tag.

The way I read the beta forum, naming the Collections in the info panel is a first step to adding a Collections column. Once you have that, you can filter by mytag:xyz and sort by the new column. That should give you a good idea what Collections' rules you need to check. 

What I see as the major problem here isn't collection rules, it's the fact that tags have to be edited one book at a time. That drives me crazy. I have lots of tags I now wish I had abbreviated, but it's far too much work to change them until they've fixed that.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS