CHALOT Transliteration.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24
Stuart | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:37 AM

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and even if it is specific to the Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament? (actually, as I double-check, it seems that the transliteration is not from CHALOT, as that resource (and none of the Hebrew lexica provide such a transliteration)). --I'm not even sure where that transliteration and definition come from, does any one else know?

Anyways, here is the problem I've seen.  In some definitions, the transliteration does not provide all the characters, instead just a rectangular box, as in the picture below:

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:59 AM

Stuart:
I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and even if it is specific to the Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament? (actually, as I double-check, it seems that the transliteration is not from CHALOT, as that resource (and none of the Hebrew lexica provide such a transliteration)). --I'm not even sure where that transliteration and definition come from, does any one else know?

Looks good to me, on my machine. Are you running this under XP (SP3?) by chance? There were some errors in transliteration codes in XP that weren't seen elsewhere. I thought that was fixed by now though.

It's a font issue (regardless of OS). If you've changed the font for transliteration, revert to the default and see if that helps. If you're still using the default font for transliteration, and not using XP SP3, I'm stumped.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1576
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:23 AM

I'm on XP SP3, and I've seen this in the Anchor Bible Dictionary and Amarna Letters transliteration.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1157
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:41 AM

The transliteration and gloss that you have circled isn't from CHALOT. I think Logos is combining multiple entries and only referencing the following lines which come from CHALOT. I searched my entire library for "desired; delighted" and came up empty.

Tom

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:41 AM

Stuart,

I duplicated your screen and I think the rectangle is from the DBL Hebrew translit for that Hebrew word.

BTW, I have rectangles showing up in COED for every English word definition in front of the part of speech.

I have XP SP3 also. 

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:53 AM

When I use L3, I do not have any rectangles where I do have them in L4 for COED and DBL.  And all my fonts in L4 are the defaults and are the same fonts as used in L3.

Posts 24
Stuart | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 1:03 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-CA X-NONE HE

Richard DeRuiter:

Looks good to me, on my machine. Are you running this under XP (SP3?) by chance? There were some errors in transliteration codes in XP that weren't seen elsewhere. I thought that was fixed by now though.

It's a font issue (regardless of OS). If you've changed the font for transliteration, revert to the default and see if that helps. If you're still using the default font for transliteration, and not using XP SP3, I'm stumped.

I should have given more information.  Sorry.  I am running Windows 7 (hooray for being a student!), and I have all the fonts on default now and nothing changed.  I can't seem to find this error anywhere else (although I have not tried every Hebrew word!)

Thanks for trying, and hopefully I can figure it out sometime...

P.S. sorry for the delay in replying--our internet was down for a while this afternoon (weather-related, I think!)

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 1:21 PM

It would really help if someone from Logos who knows what the problem might be could respond to this thread- so that it could be fixed, if possible.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 1:43 PM

Stuart:
Thanks for trying, and hopefully I can figure it out sometime...

Okay, this looks like a bug. I've noted this in my tag below.

As I said I did not see this on my machine (Win7 64bit). I am currently running Beta3, so there may be a fix that I've already got.

The character with the box is a line which is supposed to go over the "p".

Tom is right that the entry is not from CHALOT. CHALOT doesn't have transliteration. It appears to be from another resource (DBL Hebrew?), or a combination of data from other resources.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 24
Stuart | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 1:55 PM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your help, and the same to everyone else on this thread. This is not a huge issue (I don't use transliteration very often (or ever...), but I guess with our help Logos can get the bugs worked out of its program.

Stuart.

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:10 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

The character with the box is a line which is supposed to go over the "p".

It appears to be from another resource (DBL Hebrew?), or a combination of data from other resources.

Rich, it is from DBL Hebrew as I said in an earlier post.  I also said it occurs in COED and it is not replacing a "p" in that resource.  It should be checked out also.  Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS