St, Patrick-who?

Page 5 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 94 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 4:26 PM

Room4more:

David Paul:

Next, you'll be telling us there is a difference between "logos" & "rhayma".

Not trying to be rude, but check your spelling, or perhaps your pronunciation hray'-mah  ῥῆμα [ r u attempting to get to the root or a cognate--?]  ? I think I know what you are wanting to say,  but not sure of your spelling or the way you are saying it.....

R4m.

I'm surprised that he doesn't follow his practice with regard to Hebrew.  One would think that he would write "hreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-mah" in order to be consistent.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1868
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 5:02 AM

George Somsel:
I'm surprised that he doesn't follow his practice with regard to Hebrew.  One would think that he would write "hreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-mah" in order to be consistent.

ROFL!!!

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 2:09 PM

Room4more:

David Paul:

Not trying to be rude, but check your spelling, or perhaps your pronunciation hray'-mah  ῥῆμα [ r u attempting to get to the root or a cognate--?]  ? I think I know what you are wanting to say,  but not sure of your spelling or the way you are saying it.....

R4m.

You are right...hrayma would be better.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:21 PM

David Paul:

Room4more:

David Paul:

R4m.

You are right...hrayma would be better.

Actually having spent some time going over the two here lately just for you, yes I do see some significant differences. Now we can be comparative to the topic at hand and looking at the semiotics, then there are similarities, semantically as well. But if that is the extent of how we are doing a study then we miss the meaning of the message and how the message is being brought/made to be.

Again referring to Jn 20.21, in the words that Jesus said, yes we see the two: πέμπω / ἀποστέλλω, and with the semiotics there is little to discuss; looking from the contextual comparison then there is a comparative difference that we should take notice of......

EDIT: check out the way Paul used sent-Gal 4:4 and send-Acts 22.21.....see any significance or just the semiotics/semantics/?

R4m.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 33775
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:00 PM

Propp, Greimas or Eco? with any rhetoric from Groupe µ?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 4:07 AM

MJ. Smith:

Propp, Geimas or Eco? with any rhetoric from Groupe µ?

would it matter?

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 4:40 AM

How much do you profit by winning the argument but losing the respect of others?

24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, 25 correcting opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth, 26 and that they may escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

2 Ti 2.24-26 (NRSV)

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 4:53 AM

papa_gowgow:

How much do you profit by winning the argument but losing the respect of others?

24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, 25 correcting opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth, 26 and that they may escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

2 Ti 2.24-26 (NRSV)

I don't know, how much?

Sounds like the voice of someone that has failed in the past, perhaps...?

Thank-you for your comment.

R4m.

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 5:16 AM

Not a great deal. You fall down as a witness for Christ.

We are putting no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry [2 Co 6.3]

(Ending with 'thank-you' does not make an ad hominem argument less offensive)

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 6:31 AM

papa_gowgow:

You are being over-gracious. I don't think the OP has won the argument at all.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 6:45 AM

Thanks papa_gowgow

Not quit sure of your referral to the ad hominem statement, yet we are not engaged in an argumentum made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument, but rather the opposite of the clause. The Scriptural referrals are substantial evidence, Scripturaly, that support the teaching.

The Apostle's grew in Spiritual wisdom to understand that they were of a select few, and for a special [if you will allow] purpose.

IE> How many times was Peter rebuke/corrected/chastised for his lack of understanding or out of place comments? Yet, in all this he still had doubts, concerns, possibly even whether or not these things were true. Even at the tomb and all that he witnessed  - he went home!

But you have a look for yourself – Luke 24:12 – contemplation/meditation

Lee, I wasn't aware that this was an argument/? But thats ok...

Thanks for the comments.

R4m.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:12 AM

More of the same.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:38 AM

Lee:

More of the same.

I am all eyes to read what you would like to present.....snippets mean nothing.

Looking forward to your's.....

Thanks.

R4m.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:41 AM

[replying to no one in particular, but to the circularity of the discussion]

When the horse is dead, dismount.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2855
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:29 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

[replying to no one in particular, but to the circularity of the discussion]

When the horse is dead, dismount.

Agreed! I like the saying, nice one Richard.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 5 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS