Logos March Madness—Round 4

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 52 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 7:42 PM

mike:
Whats the deal?

Collections aren't discounted, individual titles are. You need to investigate for yourself to see if your purchase makes sense. Picking up one title might make sense if you really want that one title. Purchasing the entire collection might not. 

The best deals, of course, will come with the "winning" author's works.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10
Paul Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 7:45 PM

Scott Sovereign:

Bock's BECNT Luke commentaries (which I have already) was included, but his BECNT commentary on Acts (which I don't) wasn't.  Bummer. :(

I was wishing for the same thing, but the Acts volume doesn't seem to be offered standalone from the series as his Luke volumes are.

Posts 2338
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 7:51 PM

mike:

If I buy all the books of John Macarthur from March Madness it came out to be $600ish..

But when I buy the collection of John MacArthur from Logos regular website it cost $300..

Whats the deal?

First, let me give you an actual. I was interested in Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology the set so after calculating the deal from MM I found that the numbers were not favorable. So, I put call into sales and presented an offer to purchase at the 35% discount on the set from MM. I was told this was not possible.

Finally, sales and marketing, marketing being in charge of MM, have little to do with one another. The best price you can get in sales is independent of deals generated by the marketing department.  

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:17 PM

Scott Sovereign:

Bock's BECNT Luke commentaries (which I have already) was included, but his BECNT commentary on Acts (which I don't) wasn't.  Bummer. :(

I was surprised by this too. I have read his Acts commentary cover to cover and believe it to be one of the best. However, his Luke commentaries always seem to get more attention.

Posts 1839
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:45 PM

I know collection isn't part of the March Madness sales...

But the math just doesn't add up..

I could just buy the regular John MacArthur collection (98 vol) for $300 that has ALL the books offered in March Madness...

rather than buying all the books of John MacArthur offered in March Madness that only has "some" of the books from the collection for $600...after 40%off

Why in the world Logos would do such reverse sales???

Posts 1839
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:52 PM

the discount sale sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't...

very glitchy...

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:58 PM

mike:
Why in the world Logos would do such reverse sales???

Your illustration anticipates that everyone will want to purchase every John MacArthur title. Many users may only want to pick up a title or two, so a discount on single volumes would be greatly appreciated by them. 

I don't think Logos intends to mislead anyone… and if anyone were to purchase all of these titles, they could certainly get a refund from Logos. 

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:58 PM

mike:

the discount sale sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't...

very glitchy...

That is a separate issue, and you are right. Ugh. Tongue Tied

Posts 93
Fab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 9:19 PM

I noticed that the 40% saving off third round titles doesn't work. When I click buy next to the book a window showing my cart does integrate the code 3MM13 but the discount is not taken into account. 

Posts 1839
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2013 10:14 PM

I have a feeling D.A. Carson will win this year when match against N.T. Wright

I wonder which commentaries will be on sale from Carson (75% discount)...GiftGiftGift

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 12:36 AM

mike:

I wonder which commentaries will be on sale from Carson (75% discount)...GiftGiftGift

Doesn't look like Wright will make it to the next round.

Posts 1839
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 4:18 AM

Semi Final 1:  D.A Carson  vs  Douglas Moo ----> D.A Carson

Semi Final 2: Spurgeon  vs  Martyn Lloyd-Jones ----> Spurgeon

Final?  D.A Carson  vs  Spurgeon -----> D.A Carson (winner)?

too early to predict?

Posts 924
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 6:06 AM

mike:

Probably none of them. Last year a grand total of 2 Carson titles were offered in March Madness. I really don't know what the people voting for Carson are expecting (or frankly why they are voting for him)

Posts 8978
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 6:06 AM

mike:

Semi Final 1:  D.A Carson  vs  Douglas Moo ----> D.A Carson

Semi Final 2: Spurgeon  vs  Martyn Lloyd-Jones ----> Spurgeon

Final?  D.A Carson  vs  Spurgeon -----> D.A Carson (winner)?

too early to predict?

I'm thinking that your are right about your Carson prediction but I hope Loyd-Jones beats out Spurgeon.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 6:17 AM

I am hoping for his EBC commentary on Matthew. His other books (non-commentaries), perhaps but the real draw of Logos is commentaries and Bible study titles (vis-a-vis Amazon)

Posts 1839
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:00 AM

Sadly, you are right.. LOGOS doesn't offer much for D.A. Carson books (since March Madness doesn't do "collection" sales..)

He only has few "individual books" in Logos...

http://www.logos.com/products/search?Author=Carson%2c+D.+A.

Logos need to have more "individual" books for sale in March Madness if D.A. Carson win. I only see 20 books only. Crying

Posts 8978
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:25 AM

mike:

Sadly, you are right.. LOGOS doesn't offer much for D.A. Carson books (since March Madness doesn't do "collection" sales..)

He only has few "individual books" in Logos...

http://www.logos.com/products/search?Author=Carson%2c+D.+A.

Logos need to have more "individual" books for sale in March Madness if D.A. Carson win. I only see 20 books only. Crying

This is why I have said that I wish they would have published what books from each author that were going to be included. I'm sure that people would vote differently if they knew this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 924
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:36 AM

Bruce Dunning:

This is why I have said that I wish they would have published what books from each author that were going to be included. I'm sure that people would vote differently if they knew this.

Back in 2011, we did indeed know what books were going to be included........ and there was a grand total of 64 of them! Not surprisingly, the book that won was the most expensive one Big Smile

Last year was the first time this format of author (as opposed to individual book) was implemented and I have to say there was quite a lot of disappointment for many users, in that for various reasons - most likely constraints imposed by some publishers who didn't want their products to be available too cheaply - the range of titles offered for some authors was pretty poor.

I do think this year is much better, there is a far wider range of titles made available for which I am very grateful. I just wish I had a wider range of funds available........

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:39 AM

Oh oh.... its at 50% now... I have nothing for or against either but Moo is really excellent and Wright won last year. 

Posts 222
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 20 2013 10:43 AM

Oh oh.... its at 50% now... I have nothing for or against either but Moo is really excellent and Wright won last year. 

If Wright wins again, I'm switching to Accordance.

YOU HEAR ME MODS!? Crying

Juuuuuust kidddddinnngggggg

Rev. Ben Hein

Shady Grove Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Reformed Theological Seminary, M.Div (2017)

www.shadygrovepca.org

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS