Does Anyone Know of a Resource That...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 26 2013 12:49 PM

Is there a resource that clearly and concisely compares/contrasts Roman Catholic theology with Protestantism? Thanks

Posts 28708
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2013 4:05 PM

Garrett Mercury:
Is there a resource that clearly and concisely compares/contrasts Roman Catholic theology with Protestantism?

No.

Why "no"? Because there are a very large number of "Protestant" theologies and because there is no "Roman" Catholic theology.

• Anglican and Lutheran theology tends to be closer to Catholic theology than other flavors of Protestant - assuming you consider them Protestant
  • The Catholic Churches embrace a broad range of theologies that share certain core values - compare Rahner to Boff to Eckhardt
  • As there is a very different mindset between the two viewpoints, very few people actually understand the differences ... many people think they do and write books that generally fail to understand one side or the other.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2545
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2013 4:29 PM

I usually steer clear of this type of discussion. However I am always ready to help others if I possibly can. That said, issues such as these broadly fall under a term that sets my teeth on edge "apologetics."

I found a respectable looking bibliography in the Apologetics Study Bible, it begins on page 1,937 http://www.logos.com/product/7276/apologetics-study-bible If you have this resource this link will open to the page I reference logosres:aplgstdybbl;ref=Page.p_1937;off=133  This resource will if nothing else point the way to the discovery of other sources that will answer some if not all your questions. Bon voyage!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2539
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2013 6:59 PM

“Apologetics” comes from the Greek word apologia, meaning “defense” or “answer.” Accordingly, Christian apologetics is the practice of giving reasons that support the Christian faith and responding to objections raised against it. Apologetics contributes to the restoration of a view of the Bible as a source of knowledge of its subject matter as opposed to a source of true belief to be accepted by a blind act of the will. Christian apologetics strengthens the church by answering the critics of biblical doctrines and by encouraging the believer’s faith. The Apologetics Study Bible is designed to advance these ends by apologetics rooting in Holy Scripture.

Ted Cabal, Chad Owen Brand, E. Ray Clendenen et al., The Apologetics Study Bible: Real Questions, Straight Answers, Stronger Faith, iii (Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers, 2007).

And the list of books in the bibliography is about 150 long - have fun!  [the book is in the package Starter] 

Posts 556
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2013 7:14 PM

Hi Garrett, I recently read this one by Norman Geisler and liked it for its breadth of scope, depth of scholarship and irenic tone: http://www.logos.com/product/26315/roman-catholics-and-evangelicals It's clear and, although not a short book, it is about as concise as it can be given the subject matter! I found it easy to read. If you do consider purchasing it, I recommend getting it as part of the following collection because, for a few bucks more, you get a lot more books including the useful Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics. http://www.logos.com/product/8810/the-norman-l-geisler-apologetics-library Best wishes.

Posts 18860
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 2:48 PM

This isn't a Logos resource, but it's quite timely and relevant to your question.

Regent Audio just announced today that they are giving away a free lecture (1h18m) by J. I. Packer called "Approaching Roman Catholicism: An Evaluation of the Protestant-Catholic Divide." It comes, of course, from an Evangelical Protestant perspective, but Packer is one of the most capable theologians of bridging divides and fairly understanding differences and approaching them charitably that I've ever met. Plus he's a brilliant scholar and has a cool British/Canadian accent. So it's worth a listen. And you can't beat FREE. And Logos doesn't yet have a large enough selection of his works available, so try this to get a sampling of the man.

Approaching Roman Catholicism: An Evaluation of the Protestant-Catholic Divide (J. I. Packer) - FREE Audio Lecture

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 3:11 PM

Thanks for that post Rosie. I look forward to listening to that later this week when I have some time.

Free is a great price no matter what the exchange rate is right now.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS