Do commentary's prices go UP or DOWN overtime?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:24 PM

Have anyone been paying attention to the prices on majority of the INDIVIDUAL commentaries & COLLECTION commentaries... Do they go up or down over the years? (NICNT, NICOT, AYB, NIVAC, BECNT, PNTC, NIGTC, ICC, etc...)

I don't know whether I should buy the now or later..?

any Logos veterans can comment?

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:40 PM

mike:
Have anyone been paying attention to the prices on majority of the INDIVIDUAL commentaries & COLLECTION commentaries... Do they go up or down over the years? (NICNT, NICOT, AYB, NIVAC, BECNT, PNTC, NIGTC, ICC, etc...)

They very rarely change, but you do get sales from time to time. AYBD has been $270 since at least 2010, but it often drops to $200 on sales. This page still gives the prices of a recent sale (no longer available though) http://blog.logos.com/2012/11/black-friday-dont-miss-these-deals/ 

You might have a long wait to get the best price, though. Black Friday and Christmas tend to be the best time for deals.

Where commentary sets are in base packages, it's often worth getting the whole package, and - depending on what package you already have - might even be cheaper than buying the set.

Some sets are more likely to go on sale that others. I don't remember seeing NIVAC or NIGTC on sale. NICNT/NICOT have been on sale a few times recently, and ICC has in the past.

If you find an old sale price on the Logos website, you could always try ringing sales and asking if they'll still honour it. It's always worth asking...

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:27 PM

Mark Barnes:

Some sets are more likely to go on sale that others. I don't remember seeing NIVAC or NIGTC on sale. NICNT/NICOT have been on sale a few times recently, and ICC has in the past.

If you find an old sale price on the Logos website, you could always try ringing sales and asking if they'll still honour it. It's always worth asking...

Really ?? I think I saw somewhere in the forum that NICNT/NICOT was on sale for $1000. Do you think sales rep would still have the mercy to give me that price?? :) :) Stick out tongue

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:41 PM

Sales do happen once in a while and occasionally after a series is complete price will sometimes drop. The ancient christian commentary series went down dramatically from the initial volumes released to the complete set.

-Dan

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:20 PM

It would nice to have a thread or spreadsheet of the lowest price ever seen on resource X along with the occasion and dates. It'd help planning bigger purchases. Although, I guess Logos might not be too happy to have it posted.

NICOT/NT was on sale for $1000 last year about the time I started with Logos. I missed out, but picked it up in the deals that got away sale for around $1280.

Disappointed to see that NIVAC doesn't get marked down. That's my next planned big purchase followed by WBC (sometimes $100 off) and Hermeneia (which I think regularly sees sales of 1/2 off). Lord, help me pay off the resources on my current plan... so I don't feel so burdened when I think of adding more to it... Lord, forgive me for that prayer.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:06 PM

mike:
I don't know whether I should buy the now or later..?

The users have given good advice about looking for sales, particularly Black Friday and Christmas. I would add that when you see what you think is a good price on something, post a comment on the forum and long time users can let you know if it will likely be on sale cheaper later. 

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 2:51 AM

mike:
Really ?? I think I saw somewhere in the forum that NICNT/NICOT was on sale for $1000. Do you think sales rep would still have the mercy to give me that price?? :) :)

To be honest, I doubt they'll manage to get that low for you, as that was a very special deal and it was when the set only had 40 volumes (you're thinking of this 2011 sale, I think: http://blog.logos.com/2011/08/new-international-commentary-get-the-lowest-price-in-years-during-the-back-to-school-sale/).

I'd forgotten that in 2012 the 44-volume NICOT/NICNT was also on sale for 'Back to School' http://web.archive.org/web/20120827023525/http://www.logos.com/backtoschool, so if you can't get a good deal now, it might be worth waiting for that period this year and seeing what happens.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 2:54 AM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):
Disappointed to see that NIVAC doesn't get marked down.

I was wrong about that. It has happened. It looks like Christmas might be a good bet:

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 3:22 AM

http://blog.logos.com/page/2/?s=black+friday&submit=Search

I think some commentaries do go UP in prices ($50-$200), even if you have academic discount. (i think)

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 3:38 AM

What I know, is that price of the some of the newer individual volumes in ICC was cut to ½ in November 2012 and have stayed at that price since so it's not a sale. I don't know whether they have had a lower price earlier on too years ago. The set has not changed much (I don't know if any, as far as I remember it didn't seem to change 2012-2013). I started a thread about it: A recommendation for You who have the Hermeneia-set

mike:
Do they go up or down over the years? (NICNT, NICOT, AYB, NIVAC, BECNT, PNTC, 'NIGTC, ICC, etc...)

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 3:59 AM

mike:
I think some commentaries do go UP in prices ($50-$200)

I checked out some of the most expensive commentary sets in Logos, and used www.archive.org to check whether the prices had changed since that page was first indexed.

• Zondervan Bible Reference Bundle (87 vols.) - $2,024.65 since November 2010
  • Nelson 501 Book Unlock (501 vols.) - $1,989.95 since May 2012
  • Anchor Yale Bible (AYB) (83 vols.) -  $1,899.95 since November 2010 (though it then had 84 volumes)
  • International Critical Commentary (53 vols.) - $1,750 since March 2011
  • The New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament (NICOT/NICNT) (44 vols.) - $1,699.95 since August 2012
  • Hermeneia and Continental Commentaries (63 vols.) - was $598 in December 2010, now $1,200 (this was a kind of pre-pub price when the set was first created. It only stayed at $598 for a few weeks).
  • NIV Application Commentary Bundle (NIVAC) (40 vols.) - $870.86 since August 2012
  • Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching (INT) (43 vols.) - $799.95 since July 2011

In other words, none of them had ever changed their normal price, except for that Hermeneia/Continental 'pre-pub' offer. I'm not saying price changes never happen, but I do think price changes are quite unusual.

What does happen, and perhaps this is what we notice, is that sets get reconfigured, and then their price changes. NICOT/NICNT went from 40 volumes to 44, for example. When this occurs, the Logos website treats the new set as a new product. The 40 volume set was available for $1,599.95, whereas the 44 volume set was available for $1,699.95.

The time you always get price changes are obviously after pre-pub, but you often get price increases during prepub. Here are some current examples:

• The New English Bible with Apocrypha was originally offered on prepub for $29.95, but now - even on prepub - it's $34.95.
  • The Wisconsin Lutheran Quarterly, 1990-2010 (84 Issues) was originally offered at $37.95, but it's now $59.95 on prepub.
  • Understanding the Bible Commentary Series: Old Testament (16 vols.) was originally offered for $99.95, but it's now $179.95 on prepub.
  • Baker Academic Biblical Studies Bundle (86 vols.) was $999.95, but it's now $1,349.95.
  • Paul and the Faithfulness of God (4 vols.) was $99.95, it's now $129.95

By ordering early, I've saved myself $487. At least that's what I tell my wife. Somehow she does the same maths, and says that I've cost myself $1,267.75!

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 7:38 PM

Thanks for doing the research! I do want to buy more resources .. BUT I'm afraid what if Logos goes out of business ? Then there would be no more support..after spending much. I don't know... I'm just scared ....

Anywho, I better watch those commentaries on Pre Pub.. those are my best bet :)

next purchases for me are the Zondervan Bundles :)

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:42 AM

mike:

what if Logos goes out of business ? Then there would be no more support..after spending much.

I shouldn't be too worried. If Logos were to go out of business, you'd still have access to the resources on your hard drive. Even with some functionality lost, it would still be as if you had the individual titles on a bookshelf.

Now, if computers were no longer to function, then we'd have a problem... 

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:33 PM

mike:

Thanks for doing the research! I do want to buy more resources .. BUT I'm afraid what if Logos goes out of business ? Then there would be no more support..after spending much. I don't know... I'm just scared ....

This has been discussed before, and Bob Pritchett, Logos' CEO, gave a great response (no spin, just real honesty). http://community.logos.com/forums/p/62707/442826.aspx#442826

he's right, too. That's exactly what would happen...

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 11:03 AM

Mark Barnes:
By ordering early, I've saved myself $487. At least that's what I tell my wife. Somehow she does the same maths, and says that I've cost myself $1,267.75!

Have similar discussions with my spouse. Thank God for understanding mates.

-Dan

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 11:53 AM

Dan Francis:

Sales do happen once in a while and occasionally after a series is complete price will sometimes drop. The ancient christian commentary series went down dramatically from the initial volumes released to the complete set.

-Dan

Yes, the price went all the way down to $0.00 since they no longer sell it.  Sad

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:45 PM

George Somsel:

Dan Francis:

-Dan

Yes, the price went all the way down to $0.00 since they no longer sell it.  Sad

Volume 1 retailed for $480 according to IVP website the complete set retails for $380 that is a significant price change and more than doubles the volumes you get. Yes Logos has stopped selling it, I and others have noted that it was always cheaper to buy the CDROM than purchase it from Logos. No one has every said officially why it appears and disappears from being for sale on Logos' website. Some feud with IVP??? Seems unlikely since it only seems to be the ACCS that comes and goes, and many new works get added. All in all it is the great mystery of the Logos universe, but at least you can purchase it elsewhere at a good price.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS