SACRA PAGINA !!!!!

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:18 PM

Unix:
John J. Collins is one of my favourite authors

Don't miss the Catholic Study Bible, 2nd ed. then.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 6:27 PM

Steve:
Skip eating out once a week for a little while or take a pass on Starbucks a time or two each week for the same time...or both

Last time I ate out may have been Israel in 2011. Last time in a café... possibly the early 90ies...Smile Any other advice?Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 6:29 PM

fgh:

Any other advice?

Follow your well-formed conscience!

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 6:43 PM

Steve:

How about 12 hours to under development?

Whishfull thinking on my part.  Oh well !!! Smile
Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 9 2013 9:03 PM

Unix:

Hermeneia (many Catholic volumes, all of them good)

It would be a big help if you could list those.  I don't have that set and would be interested in knowing.

Thanks!

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 9 2013 9:36 PM

Steve:
Critically acclaimed, attested by a broad range of scholars from many faith traditions...including this years March Madness Champion D.A.Carson.  From a primier publisher...Liturigical Press.

The Carson "endorsement" is not very enthusiastic, much less critically acclaiming. I don't think any of these commentaries made his Best Buys. For $300, I'm going to pass on these.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2013 2:26 PM

The Luke and Acts editions of this series are fantastic!

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2013 4:58 PM

elnwood:
I don't think any of these commentaries made his Best Buys.

I would be surprised if they had as their style is rather different than Carson's. I consider the fact that he endorsed them at all to be very positive.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:05 PM

MJ. Smith:
I consider the fact that he endorsed them at all to be very positive.
Yes

Posts 124
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 8:30 PM

What about the Navarre series? That's available. I have it in print (though am in the process of selling it) and in Logos format. It is an excellent resource. And you know the Catholic Commentary edited by Dom Bernard Orchard is still a fine work, though agree somewhat limited and dated.

Richard.

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 9:09 PM

Richard Kingston:
What about the Navarre series?

I am very glad to own it but sometimes it gets more dogmatic than I would like  (but then I am Anglican/raised Lutheran) or draws from Escrivá heavier than I would like. But I don't regret purchasing it and find it useful most of the time.

-Dan

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 10:06 PM

Dan Francis:
sometimes it gets more dogmatic than I would like  (but then I am Anglican/raised Lutheran) 

Yes(but then I am Catholic ...)Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2013 10:51 PM

MJ. Smith:

That was my point in calling it an "endorsement" with quotes around it. I don't think Carson is endorsing it in any meaningful sense of the word; it's simply a description of the series taken from his book.
Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2013 6:59 AM

elnwood:

MJ. Smith:

That was my point in calling it an "endorsement" with quotes around it. I don't think Carson is endorsing it in any meaningful sense of the word; it's simply a description of the series taken from his book.

Absolutely, it's a description, not an endorsement. And, by the way, the full quote is "They vary more than many series in the depth of coverage they provide: more so than for many series, buy only the best volumes." The comments for individual volumes are:
  • Matthew: [It] adopts mainstream positions. It is well written, but thinner on theology than one might have expected for a book of this size.
  • Mark: a substantial contribution of almost five hundred pages, but it focuses a bit narrowly on “intratextuality” (reading Mark as Mark and by Mark, examining all the literary figures and structures, etc.) and “intertextuality” (how the text relates to other streams of tradition). In other words, like Witherington if for different reasons, this is a fine supplementary commentary.
  • Luke: Above all a work of literary analysis. It tends not to take up issues of, say, the origin of a pericope or development of ideas or tradition before the text as it stands. It devotes quite a bit of space to literary analogies in the ancient world.
  • John: Well written but not distinctive. It tends to be sharp when it comes to following the narrative flow, while ducking some of the toughest historical questions. In my view, it is a fair bit more sacramentarian than the Evangelist is.
  • Acts: Too narrowly focused on the literary structure to command primary attention.
  • Romans: [The author's] approach is literary-rhetorical and who views the epistle as a call to inclusivism mediated through rhetorical persuasion designed to transform readers through a celebratory presentation of the gospel, is suitably faddish but too often misses Paul’s point.
  • 1 Corinthians: Scarcely less important [than the best two commentaries]… There is a wealth of useful material, and those with no Greek can follow the argument… More descriptive and less theological than Barrett.
  • 2 Corinthians: Frankly disappointing, not least because at his best Lambrecht is a very competent scholar. For some odd reason the editor of the series allowed him to get away with extreme brevity, no footnotes, and superficial treatment.
  • Galatians: [Written] with admirable clarity, but he is more indebted to one form of the new perspective on Paul than the text warrants.
  • Ephesians and Colossians: The strength of her work is her close comparison of the two epistles: by examining the subtle differences, she puts their different perspectives into sharp relief and ties these to the reconstructions she develops with the aid of social science approaches. But although the work is very competently done, too often the differences are exaggerated, and the reconstruction of the social identities of the readers is more fragile than she thinks
  • Philippians and Philemon: Competent enough but not ground breaking or particularly penetrating.
  • Thessalonians: Clear and focused on philology. It adopts many interesting positions, some of them plausible, some of them implausible. Richard argues that 1 Thessalonians is earlier (mid-40s) than most people think, but holds that it is a composite of an earlier missive (2:13–4:2), full of joy, inserted into a later one (1:1–2:12 + 4:3–5:28) written to respond to specific concerns. Further, 2:14–16 constitutes a further interpolation, and 2:13 and the first part of 3:11 are redactional comments. In line with much contemporary scholarship, he thinks that the literary, theological, and sociological problems of 2 Thessalonians can be untangled only by subscribing to a theory of pseudonymity. 
  • Peter: Useful but cannot compete with the larger works.
  • Johannine Epistles: A full-scale commentary that manages to be painfully dry and theologically thin.
  • Revelation: Responsible, but it simply isn’t long enough to compare with more substantial volumes in the series or with a commentary like that of Mounce.
Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:25 AM

A fair assessment that highlights some of the differences in expectations of differing theologies of the evaluator and the editor.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2013 2:16 PM

elnwood:

Please accept my apology for apparently mis-representing Mr. Caron's comment on the publication.  In the excitement about the pre-pub offer I was attempting to promote adoption.  Everyone's subsequent comments duely noted.  I did not intend to stir up controversy.  I'll try to refrain going forward.   Smile
Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2013 3:11 AM

Steve:
Please accept my apology for apparently mis-representing Mr. Caron's comment on the publication.  In the excitement about the pre-pub offer I was attempting to promote adoption.  Everyone's subsequent comments duely noted.  I did not intend to stir up controversy.  I'll try to refrain going forward.

Don't worry, it wasn't controversial, and there's no need to apologise — this thread is typical of most on the forum, where opinions are slowly clarified over the course of the thread. That's just how it should be. Most of us have lost count of the number of times where a later poster has pointed out that we've slightly misunderstood something.

Posts 9414
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2013 4:01 AM

Mark Barnes:
Most of us have lost count of the number of times where a later poster has pointed out that we've slightly misunderstood something.

How true. That is also a good reminder why we should all approach topics with a spirit of humility.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2120
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2013 4:26 AM

I came across some of these in the Denver Annotated Bibliographies PB as I worked through it.  They recommend the volumes on Luke, John, First Corinthians, and James.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2013 9:44 AM

Steve:
Please accept my apology for apparently mis-representing Mr. Caron's comment on the publication.  In the excitement about the pre-pub offer I was attempting to promote adoption.  Everyone's subsequent comments duely noted.  I did not intend to stir up controversy.  I'll try to refrain going forward.   Smile

Ditto Mark, no apology necessary. It's confusing, because the template that Logos has for the product puts Carson's comment under "Praise for the Print Edition."
Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS