Mac OS X - High CPU Usage

Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 26
Mike Finnie MAR, Theology | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 8:54 AM

Couldn't figure out how to start a separate post, so I'll tag onto this one. 

I have been experiencing similar problems for almost a year, but I think mine are related to poor internet coverage. Whenever I have Logos 5 open and I lose connectivity even for a couple seconds, Logos goes crazy with CPU consumption.  I have a 27" iMac (older model) with 4 i7 processors and 16gb RAM.  Mine does not run away until I try to shut down.  The only way I can shut down Logos is to force quit.  Because I regularly have momentary loss in internet (I live at the end of the world), Logos can never really shut down any other way.  When I went to bed last night, I forgot to double check that it had quit, only to discover 12 hours later that my computer had been running full-bore on all 4 processors (assuming for the 12 hours since that's normally what it does until I force quit).  Almost makes me want to put a baby monitor next to the computer so I can hear when the processors are running like that.  Very frustrating.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 10:13 AM

8171.LogosLogs.rustymatheny.20130927-010830.zip

Happening to me as well:

Logs attached.

Posts 27684
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 10:30 AM

Mike Finnie M.Th:

Couldn't figure out how to start a separate post, so I'll tag onto this one. 

In one of the forums, click on "write a new post." I suspect that you were viewing a post already. Click here to return to the main L5 forum: http://community.logos.com/forums/109.aspx You should find "write a new post" above and to the right of the list of threads. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:08 PM

The upgrade to OS X Mavericks (10.9) may have fixed the high-cpu-requiring-force-quit bug. So far there have not been any incidents.

Logos 8 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (1903) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.14.6 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPad3 iOS 9.3.5 | iPod6 iOS 12.4 | iPhoneXR iOS 12.4

Posts 3153
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2013 3:47 PM

In order to nail down why the CPU would be being pushed excessively we need:

1. Information concerning what you had open in Logos (as screenshot perhaps) and what you were doing when it started, as well as what other applications were running. 

2. A "Sample" along with the logs while Logos is using the CPU excessively. There is an option on the utility for getting a sample. It should then sequence into archiving the logs. 

Thanks, everyone.

Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2013 6:50 PM

Correction: The bug appears to still be present in Mavericks. Had to force quite twice when closing Logos and it froze instead of closing.

And I just had a high cpu usage (~100-200%) and had to force quit. The sync arrows were active during this time.

Posts 1576
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2013 10:40 AM

I just had another episode of high cpu usage (~230%) while Logos was stuck syncing. Like other times, it required a force quit to get stopped. In Logos I was reading Greek, clicking on a word from time to time to read lemma and parsing information in the info window.

Here's a sample: 5710.LogosLogs.levi.20131028-112951.zip

4213.LogosLogs.levi.20131028-112957.zip

I am running Mavericks. I had my normal complement of apps open: iTunes, calendar, reminders, messages, safari, mail, readmit, logos, foxtrot professional search, pages and notes.

Screenshot:

Posts 1222
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2013 6:40 PM

I am not sure if I have high CPU usage, but my fans are spinning.... sounds like my laptop is going to take off. Whatever it is hopefully it gets fixed soon! Angry

Posts 2
Alan E. Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 28 2013 6:52 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

I am not sure if I have high CPU usage, but my fans are spinning.... sounds like my laptop is going to take off. Whatever it is hopefully it gets fixed soon! Angry

To check your CPU usage, go to Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor, click on the CPU tab at the top (if it's not already selected), then sort by % CPU to bring the highest CPU users to the top. It will give a % value for each application. I've seen Logos go well over 100%.

Posts 1
Ken Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 30 2013 1:19 PM

I am having this same problem.  A quick fix would be nice.  Any new information about that?

Posts 1576
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 30 2013 1:25 PM

Welcome to the forums, Ken!

No, just what a developer said earlier in this thread. They seem to be having difficulties tracking it down, so following Tommy Ball's advice about six posts above yours and posting logs when this happens will be helpful.

See here for how to post logs: https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/problem

Again, welcome to the forums!

Posts 3153
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 11:57 AM

Integ:

I just had another episode of high cpu usage (~230%) while Logos was stuck syncing. Like other times, it required a force quit to get stopped. In Logos I was reading Greek, clicking on a word from time to time to read lemma and parsing information in the info window.

Here's a sample: 5710.LogosLogs.levi.20131028-112951.zip

4213.LogosLogs.levi.20131028-112957.zip

I am running Mavericks. I had my normal complement of apps open: iTunes, calendar, reminders, messages, safari, mail, readmit, logos, foxtrot professional search, pages and notes.

Screenshot:

Ok, I just met with development about this. I received a few points of clarification that might explain what you are seeing.  

1. 230% does not mean we are using over 100% of your CPU capacity. Activity monitor displays 100% per core (virtual or physical). So 230% isn't really that bad. In your situation you have 8 cores. If Logos were using 100% of your computer's CPU capacity it would be 800%. That means we are using 28.7% of your computer's CPU capacity.

2. Logos is a multi-threaded application and may use more of your CPU in a background thread that you would not plainly observe. You may not see something on the screen processing but Logos may be working in the background on something. (E.G. Synchronizing data, generating a search, pre-caching parallel and serialized resources, etc.)

3. There are a number of Sync client errors and time-outs in your log. Our WebRequewsts are timing out when trying to sync. Your logs indicate that we were timing out on sync processes. The timeout limit for synchronized items is 5 minutes, and if there are multiple items needing to, and failing to sync then the issue is being compounded.   

We are looking into ways to detect a network's state more aggressively. If you're using WiFi, switching to Ethernet networking, and/or resetting your router and modem may help as well.     

Is this happening to you every time you attempt to quit the application? 

Posts 1576
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 12:53 PM

Tommy, this is not normal. I’ve used Logos since 2009, and this is something that just started happening in the last 2-3 months, first on OS 10.8 and now on OS 10.9. 

I keep a fairly close eye on my system using iStat menus, and Logos didn’t use CPU like this before (I am only using the CPU percentage as a comparison; Incidentally, I have four cores, not eight). More importantly, it didn’t get stuck on high usage to the point that the fans are screaming (an unusual event on an iMac, at least for me). And when this happens (a few times a week), it requires a force quit.
Tommy Ball:
If you're using WiFi, switching to Ethernet networking, and/or resetting your router and modem may help as well.
In my office, I cannot switch my method of connecting to the internet (it’s wifi or nothing), although I can say that I haven’t experienced slow internet problems while this is happening. I have a stable and speedy connection. I have tested once turning off “Use Internet” in Logos, but the issue still happened. Shouldn’t that have kept it from happening?
Tommy Ball:
No, it doesn’t happen when I am trying to quit. It happens when I am trying to work! To be clear, Logos gets stuck on a high CPU usage, the fans kick up to an abnormal speed, and at that point, I have to force quit or it just keeps going like that.
Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 2:32 PM

Integ:

I have four cores, not eight.

Four physical cores, but eight virtual cores due to hyper threading. Which would mean that max CPU usage for your computer would be 800%.

Mine has two physical cores, but four virtual cores, and the Logos CPU usage when this glitch occurs is usually between 100-300%.

Posts 1576
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 2:41 PM
DivineCordial:

Four physical cores, but eight virtual cores due to hyper threading. Which would mean that max CPU usage for your computer would be 800%.

Mine has two physical cores, but four virtual cores, and the Logos CPU usage when this glitch occurs is usually between 100-300%.

Thanks for the clarification, forgot about that. Now that you mention it, the other day I searched for a certain highlight throughout my entire library—Logos did almost hit 800%, but it didn't get stuck there. The CPU usage isn't really the issue, it's only an indicator that Logos is stuck on syncing.
Posts 134
L.D. Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 3:29 PM

Integ:

Tommy, this is not normal. I’ve used Logos since 2009, and this is something that just started happening in the last 2-3 months, first on OS 10.8 and now on OS 10.9. 

I keep a fairly close eye on my system using iStat menus, and Logos didn’t use CPU like this before (I am only using the CPU percentage as a comparison; Incidentally, I have four cores, not eight). More importantly, it didn’t get stuck on high usage to the point that the fans are screaming (an unusual event on an iMac, at least for me). And when this happens (a few times a week), it requires a force quit.

Tommy Ball:
If you're using WiFi, switching to Ethernet networking, and/or resetting your router and modem may help as well.
In my office, I cannot switch my method of connecting to the internet (it’s wifi or nothing), although I can say that I haven’t experienced slow internet problems while this is happening. I have a stable and speedy connection. I have tested once turning off “Use Internet” in Logos, but the issue still happened. Shouldn’t that have kept it from happening?
Tommy Ball:
No, it doesn’t happen when I am trying to quit. It happens when I am trying to work! To be clear, Logos gets stuck on a high CPU usage, the fans kick up to an abnormal speed, and at that point, I have to force quit or it just keeps going like that.

Integ, What you've described above is exactly what I've been experiencing. I posted about a month ago and then was away from the forums for awhile. I posted my logs here today. I hope we get this fixed soon. 

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 7:18 PM

I'll have to try this. My macbook pro retina (just released Oct. 2013 15") does not have an Ethernet connection (just order the adapter for the thunderbolt) - have been using wifi since I received this - it hangs and slows down tremendously. I can't even quit it; have to force quit. I'll have to wait a few days before I get the adapter to plug in the Ethernet cord and see if that helps at all.

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 9:05 AM

Logos recommended I delete my application and then download a new one. Did that, worked like a charm the FIRST time (previous purchased finally downloaded). Purchased another item, now it won't download again - the MacBook Pro is about to take off as the fan speeds up - had to force quit. Downloaded app again (and again, etc.) after deleting the app - it only worked the first time.

Just received the Ethernet adapter to plug into my Thunderbolt port - still waiting (at least the fan has not started YET). Will let is spin and see if the new purchase is ready to download (a 55vol. set) - downloaded on my iPad without a problem. Well, the fan has begun again. Using the Ethernet did not solve the problem ... wait, wait, the fan actually stopped (it NEVER stops unless I force quit)... as is often the case once it goes into this mode, you can't access the home page... just spinning, spinning - the fan is back on! OK, that did it, have to turn off the internet access on the app and just use Logos until they get this fixed. I had to force quit again -fan was getting ready for another take off ("Logos Bible Software 5 (not responding)").

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 9:27 AM

WGTShedd:

I'll have to try this. My macbook pro retina (just released Oct. 2013 15") does not have an Ethernet connection (just order the adapter for the thunderbolt) - have been using wifi since I received this - it hangs and slows down tremendously. I can't even quit it; have to force quit. I'll have to wait a few days before I get the adapter to plug in the Ethernet cord and see if that helps at all.

Having a new (well, refurbished--mid-2012) rMBP 15" with Mavericks, my computer seemed to be taxed too much by Logos. Having force quit Logos several times, I finally went into the Activity Monitor and force quit anything I saw associated with Logos. Whatever that was, and I do not now remember, seemed to solve my problem. Logos (cross my fingers) has been functioning well this morning.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 3
Greg Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 6:40 PM

Logos has become almost unusable because of this issue--very frustrating. It has become progressively worse. I'm having to do most of my work off of the iOS app by necessity.

Page 2 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS