Mac OS X - High CPU Usage

Page 3 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 9:40 PM

Greg Howard:

Logos has become almost unusable because of this issue--very frustrating. It has become progressively worse. I'm having to do most of my work off of the iOS app by necessity.

I understand your frustration. If you turn off the internet access in your preference, Logos seems to work fine (and fast). Downloading new content right now is impossible for me.  iOS app is wonderful but painfully slow; competitors have faster and smoother apps. I tend to use them more than Logos on my iOS. Right now Logos on my MBP Retina works well (once the internet access is turned off). I hope they fix this soon.

Posts 21
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 11:12 PM

I don't know if I'm just lucky or if this is an important detail, but I had the high CPU usage problem repeatedly when I tried to use Logos in full screen mode; however, I haven't had it once if I leave the application running (visible or hidden) in a regular window.

Posts 156

Numerous problems now. Had to force quit a number of times immediately after opening Logos (it was still on the home page).

These occurred while being connected to the internet through my iPad.

Background applications include: Sophos free, Safari.

Logos 8 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (1903) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.14.6 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPad3 iOS 9.3.5 | iPod6 iOS 12.4 | iPhoneXR iOS 13.2

Posts 491
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 9:12 AM

Since upgrading to OSX 10.9 I've had nothing but trouble with High CPU utilization in a variety of scenarios. This application is really getting annoying in terms of Quality Control

Posts 1590
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 11:47 AM

Just a friendly reminder: Logos developers can use all the data they can get to help solve this problem.

When it happens, it's helps to post your logs. See here for how: https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/problem

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 6:22 AM

Michael Sullivan:

I don't know if I'm just lucky or if this is an important detail, but I had the high CPU usage problem repeatedly when I tried to use Logos in full screen mode; however, I haven't had it once if I leave the application running (visible or hidden) in a regular window.

Thanks for the suggestion; thought this might work after reading it - I also use two external monitors on my MPB ... moved Logos to the MPB and not on the external monitor, did not set it for full screen... I hear the fan running hard again. Looks like the suggestion does not work.

I now groan when I hear the fan running because that means my Logos is doing its thing. Will have to turn off the internet access and use the app. until they fix the problem. I can't even access my new purchases … it won't download. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 8:58 AM

WGTShedd:

Thanks for the suggestion; thought this might work after reading it - I also use two external monitors on my MPB ... moved Logos to the MPB and not on the external monitor, did not set it for full screen... I hear the fan running hard again. Looks like the suggestion does not work.

I now groan when I hear the fan running because that means my Logos is doing its thing. Will have to turn off the internet access and use the app. until they fix the problem. I can't even access my new purchases … it won't download. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Make sure the indexer is not frozen. I had that happen once recently and wondered why I could not download any new resources. Once I force quit that it then downloaded and indexed properly.

Logos 8 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (1903) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.14.6 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPad3 iOS 9.3.5 | iPod6 iOS 12.4 | iPhoneXR iOS 13.2

Posts 82
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 12:59 PM

Any fixes for this yet?

6.1.0.0024 | Macbook Pro 10.10.3

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 6 2013 6:33 AM

Robert Bigouette:

Any fixes for this yet?

This works for me. After receiving several tips on this site and one from Logos, I "found" that following this method works (for me). I am using the latest OS from Apple (Mavericks).

1. Replace Logos Application (drag app into trash and empty it). Download newest.

2. Make sure you do NOT have have "Automatically Download Updates" on.

3. Make sure you are NOT using "Full Screen" - reduce for now (can after everything is downloaded and updated).

4. Use Ethernet connection, not wifi.

This works for me. I can't promise if it'll work for you - but I can quit Logos without it hanging, the fan no longer screams at me, etc. Three of the four suggestions came from this site and Logos. #2 is the only thing I added. Thanks everyone. Not sure why it works but I ain't complainin'

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 7 2013 7:48 AM

WGTShedd:

Robert Bigouette:

Any fixes for this yet?

This works for me. After receiving several tips on this site and one from Logos, I "found" that following this method works (for me). I am using the latest OS from Apple (Mavericks).

1. Replace Logos Application (drag app into trash and empty it). Download newest.

2. Make sure you do NOT have have "Automatically Download Updates" on.

3. Make sure you are NOT using "Full Screen" - reduce for now (can after everything is downloaded and updated).

4. Use Ethernet connection, not wifi.

This works for me. I can't promise if it'll work for you - but I can quit Logos without it hanging, the fan no longer screams at me, etc. Three of the four suggestions came from this site and Logos. #2 is the only thing I added. Thanks everyone. Not sure why it works but I ain't complainin'

It is working!!! I have been using this method the last couple of days. Downloaded another book yesterday, indexed, etc. and w/o any problems. I would be curious to see if someone else had success following the same. Because of this (and a faster Mac), Logos for the FIRST TIME is quick, smooth and enjoyable. I use Logos for its resources but always found it cumbersome and slow but I am really enjoying it and using it as much as the competitor (which is super fast!).

Posts 82
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 8 2013 4:28 AM

Awesome, will be a few days before back at Ethernet - hope is relatively stable till then.

Posts 82
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 12 2013 9:12 AM

Trying now Shedd - will update in few hours when downloads and indexing completed :)

Posts 1590
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 12 2013 9:44 AM

I haven't had a reoccurrence of this "high cpu usage/high fan speed/Logos stuck syncing" issue for almost two weeks now. I am not sure why, but I'll mention a couple things that I didn't do and a couple things that I did do:

1. I haven't switched anything with my wifi internet. 
2. I haven't disabled any internet features in Logos.

1. I am running Logos 5.2 RC 1 (on Mavericks).
2. I performed a SMC reset on my iMac—see here for why and how: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

So far, so good.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 12 2013 11:19 AM

As I type this message, I have Logos running in the background doing nothing and my Mac sounds like it is about to take off.  CPU usage is 74.2%.  No indexing. 

Posts 82
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 12:29 PM

I did a new install - did a SMC reset, completely indexed, etc. But when I have logos running, especially with Pages open it really starts churning won't shut down, have to force quit and fans keep running till I do.

But!! Logos finally updated from 5.1 to 5.2 - so lets see if that changes things.

Update didn't help. Now trying to quit Logos, and though have hit exit now it still shows

Even after Exit Now Still shows

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 9:04 PM

Robert Bigouette, so sorry to hear this. For some strange reason, my system works fine now. I have not even tried the SMC reset yet. I must say, I still get nervous when I hear the fan running... it runs for a very short time and none of it, of late, seems to be related to Logos. I am even afraid to use the wifi when using Logos... I use it when not running Logos. Hope they fix this. I too downloaded the newest update, works fine for me.

Posts 82
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 9:53 AM

So you are not allowing logos to connect online and that is fixing your issue? I use ethernet to connect to online, and I still get the issue. But I also use pages for my sermon notes.

Posts 762
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2013 4:34 AM

I just took the plunge and switched from Windows to Mac. Having been used to the great stability of Logos 5 on Windows, I am disappointed to find out that Logos on Mac is very unstable. Every day, I need to force quit it a few times. However, it occurs so randomly that I cannot really pin it down. Yes, I also noticed the spinning sync icon when the CPU spikes.

Please, Logos, work on the stability issues of Logos on Mac.

Armin

Posts 762
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2013 4:39 AM

Here are my logs:

25032.Logging.zip

Posts 10587
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2013 8:00 PM

Armin:
Here are my logs:

Armin

Considering that this thread is so long, and that it deals with something different than your error, please create a new thread with either CRASH or BUG in the title. Otherwise your problem will likely be lost among all the other entries.

The LogosError.log contains several Web Exception errors, but they are beyond my meager log reading skills. I had a crash yesterday with some of the same errors CRASH: Logos 5.2 on Mac OS 10.9, but the circumstances were different.

Page 3 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS