Difference Faithlife/Logos Bible; Resource download question

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8
Barry Whitlow | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 7 2013 5:45 PM

Hi, I'm a new user, can you please tell me:

1) What's the difference between the Faithlife & Logos Bibles? I'm a pastor & downloaded both apps to my iPad.

2) If I download a resource does that actually download to my iPad, or do I access it in the cloud? I'm concerned about how much space I have on my iPad.

Thanks for the help!

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 6:08 PM

The Logos Bible app is the main app for reading Logos resources that are mobile enabled.

The Faithlife app is a custom tailored version of the Bible app with the main focus on the Faithlife Study Bible which is produced by Logos.

I've not used the Faithlife app much (Installed it and looked at it a while ago on Android) so I can' t answer many questions about it. The default setting for the Bible app is to access books from the cloud as you need them. If you will be without an internet connection or want to have access to certain resources more quickly you can download books to your iPad. They will, of course, take up storage space.

Posts 4794
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:17 PM

Logos needs to make their apps play nice together… You can of course use the apps without downloading resources to your device relying on the cloud. But what i do not understand is why Logos would make you download the same resources over and over again. Verbum, Logos Bible, Faithlife, and Vyrso- while no one would have all four, it's very conceivable 3 of them would be on your system, leading me to think they should have a way to share their downloaded books.

-Dan

Posts 24901
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:23 PM

Barry Whitlow:
I'm concerned about how much space I have on my iPad.

Logos has a number of apps, including Bible!, Faithlife, Vyrso and Verbum. All of these apps have some differences… but they all can utilize the same library of books. You should be aware, however, that on iOS, Apple "sandboxes" apps. This means that if you download a resource for one app, it can't be utilized on another. If space is an issue for you, I would choose one app to download resources to. Faithlife is mostly about social features. The Bible! app is about study. Vyrso is scaled back and simplified. Verbum is geared towards Catholic users (but can be used by anyone), and is a hybrid of the Faithlife & Bible! apps.

Barry Whitlow:
If I download a resource does that actually download to my iPad, or do I access it in the cloud?

As Kevin explained, when you download a resource it IS on your device taking up space. You can, however, just access it from the cloud. If you are unsure if a resource is downloaded, you can use the syntax local: to see your downloaded resources. Otherwise, you can also put your device into airplane mode. Since you wouldn't have an internet connection, you would be able to easily see which resources have been downloaded.

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 24901
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:25 PM

Dan Francis:
But what i do not understand is why Logos would make you download the same resources over and over again.

On iOS, Apple "sandboxes" data that apps can access. There are tight rules about what can and cannot be shared. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 4794
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:37 PM

Thanks, it would be nice if Apple allowed the same developer to share though, although realize you are probably right and it is iOS fault no poor design Logos part… I do thank you for enlightening me on the issue.

-dan

Posts 22530
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2013 1:38 AM

alabama24:
On iOS, Apple "sandboxes" data that apps can access. There are tight rules about what can and cannot be shared. 

Android is similar, but an App can read from other data areas if you install it with those permissions. It needs permission to write to the SD card, but writing to another App's data area is where you see the "sandbox" protection kick in. In the realm of possibility (rather than certainty), a separate App could download & update resources whilst the other Apps can only read, so you would have to be notified about Library updates.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:14 PM

Dan Francis:

Logos needs to make their apps play nice together… You can of course use the apps without downloading resources to your device relying on the cloud. But what i do not understand is why Logos would make you download the same resources over and over again. Verbum, Logos Bible, Faithlife, and Vyrso- while no one would have all four, it's very conceivable 3 of them would be on your system, leading me to think they should have a way to share their downloaded books.

-Dan

Peace, Dan!          I am a retired pastor whose daughter gave him an iPad2 64G!          All kinds of room.  I have a very, very large Logos Library and have quite adequate space on my iPad....

My point is, Dan, to mention that I DO have all four Logos apps and use them for different purposes.  It saves me time getting the book (or resource) I want by spreading the resources I'm currently using out on more than one app.  I do read a number of books at the same time, so what I do is quite probably different from what others do!      But, "it works for me"!!!                 *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.