3rd party resource

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24
Nicholas Roland | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:19 PM

Hi. This is my first post to the forum. I had a quick question about buying resources from someone else. I have the opportunity to buy the first 8 volumes of the BECNT for a good value. It's an unopened CD that has never been used. What do I lose by buying this rather than directly from Logos?

thanks,

Nick

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:28 PM

Nicholas Roland:

Hi. This is my first post to the forum. I had a quick question about buying resources from someone else. I have the opportunity to buy the first 8 volumes of the BECNT for a good value. It's an unopened CD that has never been used. What do I lose by buying this rather than directly from Logos?

thanks,

Nick

You lose nothing. Really.

However, you may want to ensure that what you're getting will work on your system. Old 16 bit versions of Logos are out there. They won't work on a 64bit OS. Also most older versions require an activation code, make sure that comes with the package as well.

Once you get it up and running, you can sync your licenses with the Logos servers and you should be able to integrate the resources into Logos 4 or 5 without problems.

If you have any other questions, or want me to be more specific, just ask.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 24
Nicholas Roland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 5:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response. That was very helpful. I did think of one more specific question. Will this resource now be recognized as mine by Logos in the cloud? Meaning, can I open on my mobile devices? Or can I only load it from the CD onto a computer?

Posts 29810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 6:05 PM

Nicholas Roland:
Will this resource now be recognized as mine by Logos in the cloud? Meaning, can I open on my mobile devices? Or can I only load it from the CD onto a computer?

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to call Logos customer service. If you can produce proof of ownership, they can attach the licenses to your account. If the resources are mobile enabled, you will be able to view them on your mobile apps. Even if they are not, you will be able to download the newest versions of the resources to your desktop from the cloud. 

If you don't want to go that route, you will need to install the old software, and figure out how to sync the licenses with your account manually. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 6:08 PM

Peace, Nicholas!      *smile*               I also welcome you to the Logos Forums and am pleased Richard has already responded to you.

I'm assuming that you DO NOT have an account with Logos at this time and are NOT using Logos Bible Software on your desktop!

The point I'm making is that if you already have a Logos Account, to incorporate the contents of the CD you mention is "simplicity itself"!       *smile*

Edit:    I see Alabama also has responded with some good points!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 6:15 PM

Can you email me the third party's website I'd like to get a copy myself if possible.  Diatheke76 at yahoo dot com

I tried to send you a message but wouldn't go through

DAL

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 6:45 PM

Nicholas Roland:

thanks,

Nick

Over the last 20 years I have bought much logos / libronix software from 3rd party merchants, and never had a problem. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 8:14 PM

Nicholas Roland:

Thanks for the quick response. That was very helpful. I did think of one more specific question. Will this resource now be recognized as mine by Logos in the cloud? Meaning, can I open on my mobile devices? Or can I only load it from the CD onto a computer?

You already got a lot of help from others.

Logos resources will be recognized in the Logos 'cloud' but only Logos4 or 5 will download them for you to a desktop or laptop. Not all resources are licensed for mobile devices (not sure about this one). If you can find the resources on the Logos website, you should see an icon next to resources that are licensed for mobile use. (No mobile device icon: not licensed.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:36 PM

Nicholas Roland:
What do I lose by buying this rather than directly from Logos?

You lose nothing in functionality or features. You will not have a record of the purchase on your account history page. You also will not have the 30 day "satisfaction or your money back" guarantee from Logos.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:49 PM

Nicholas Roland:

One more piece of advice to add to what you've already received.

• The eight volume set is available on mobile, according to this page.
  • If you buy the 8-volume set on CD and install it, you should notice that when you go to the 15-volume set, you qualify for a large discount. That's not yet true for every Logos bundle, but it is the case for BECNT.
  • From memory, the BECNT CD is part of Libronix (sometimes referred to as Logos 3). Unlike Logos 2, this can be installed on modern computers if necessary, although as others have suggested, it's probably easier to ring customer services. There are step-by-step instructions for adding L3 CDs to your library: http://wiki.logos.com/Installing_Libronix_Books

Apart from the small amount of hassle, and the two minor things SuperTramp mentions, then there really is no difference in buying it from a third-party on CD. If you're getting a steep discount, go for it!

Posts 29810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 4:53 AM

Mark Barnes:
Unlike Logos 2, this can be installed on modern computers if necessary

Only if by "modern" computers you assume "windows." Stick out tongue (It won't install on Mac).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 5:46 AM

alabama24:

Mark Barnes:
Unlike Logos 2, this can be installed on modern computers if necessary

Only if by "modern" computers you assume "windows." Stick out tongue (It won't install on Mac).

Logos 2, 3, and/or 4 can be installed in 32 bit Windows XP running in virtual machine on Windows and OS X.

Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate include free Virtual PC option for 32 bit Windows XP mode.

Note: R. C. Sproul Digital Library cd-rom has the green Logos Library System icon.  Logos 2 can be upgraded to Logos 3, then sync resource licenses for use in Logos 4 and 5.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24
Nicholas Roland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 2:25 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I guess it's important to tell you all my info; probably would you all guide me. I have a Logos 4 Gold Base package that I'm running on a mac. I'm in seminary and still getting acquainted with Logos. Sounds like the two things I should do before buying are to check the system requirements on the CD and contact Logos customer service. My family's praying about moving overseas, so I'd like to not have to take the CD with me in the event of a hard drive crash. That's another reason I was curious about how the licensing works.

In response to DAL, it's an individual who only has one copy he's selling. I think maybe it was gifted to him, and he's decided not to keep it.

Thanks for all the help!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 2:32 PM

Again, Blessings to you, Nicholas ...             Since you already have Logos 4 Gold, you are already "in the cloud..."        *smile*     Once you call Logos Customer Service to give them the registration information, you won't need your CD anymore and can use it as a "coffee coaster..."          *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 7:48 PM

Thanks Nicholas, I thought it was another company selling it.  If you decide to pass on it, let me know, I'll buy it from the guys Stick out tongue

DAL

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 10:20 PM

Nicholas Roland:
check the system requirements

The system requirements will be Windows. All CD's are. So unless you have Parallels or the like, the only way to install will be by calling or e-mailing Logos with the activation code (which is the simplest way to do it anyway).

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 11:27 AM

fgh:
the only way to install will be by calling or e-mailing Logos with the activation code
So in theory is it possible to just purchase an activation code without the physical CDs? Did anyone ever try this? Reason of my question is the cost of shipping multi-volume CDs can sometimes be quite high.

Posts 29810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 12:07 PM

Sleiman:
So in theory is it possible to just purchase an activation code without the physical CDs? Did anyone ever try this?

I have purchased a resource before (from a third party) with an activation code sent to me before the disc arrived. I think you would need to really trust whomever you were dealing with.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 11:58 PM

Sleiman:
So in theory is it possible to just purchase an activation code without the physical CDs? Did anyone ever try this? Reason of my question is the cost of shipping multi-volume CDs can sometimes be quite high.

I've seen reports from people who've bought from... I think it was Rejoice, while they still worked, but it may have been some other dealer... and who've simply been given the activation code by e-mail, and then the dealer has trashed the CD. When I bought the smallest Collegeville package from Logos a long time ago now, it was also done like that -- except, of course, in that case I never saw the code at all; the sales rep entered it for me -- but these days Logos' employees seem forbidden to do that anymore (and there aren't many CD resources left, anyway).

I don't think I would ever do this if I bought from an unknown individual -- the risk that they're trying to sell the same thing to multiple people is probably a bit too big for my taste -- but from a reputable company it should be OK. If I wanted to buy the WBC for the cheapest price I've ever seen it for, I would certainly try, because that dealer's international shipping costs are outrageous.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 6:33 AM

Thank you alabama and fgh for your confirmation that it is possible. I am considering the ACCS which is free for shipping in the US from CBD (christianbook.com), but to cross the border to Toronto?... it is outrageous.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS