Boolean Exclusive Or (XOR)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 32
Ken | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 21 2013 4:47 PM

Hi,

Anyone know if Logos has "exclusive or" function for a search?  I don't see it included in the boolean expressions unless I missed something.  For instance, search for verses where Jesus is referenced by Jesus or Christ but not both.

Thanks, Ken

Ken

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 4:55 PM

The simple XOR operation doesn't exist, but you can construct it using ((x OR y) ANDNOT (x AND y))

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 4:56 PM

There isn't one, sorry. The closest I could come up with quickly is (Jesus, Christ) ANDNOT (Jesus WITHIN 1 WORD Christ), although the first result might be considered a false positive. It's not perfect, because it would exclude verses like Romans 8:11 "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you." I presume the first result from that verse should be found, but my search wouldn't find it.

Posts 32
Ken | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 5:25 PM

Thanks for the workarounds.  Hopefully they will include one at sometime.  It shouldn't be too hard to add.  The workarounds get pretty long when you search exclusively for the fruit of the Spirit :)

Ken

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS