Displaying Latin translation in Book of Concord (Tappert edition)

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 24 2013 5:21 PM

Hi,

I am currently studying the Lutheran confessions at seminary, and we are working our way through the Book of Concord. I have the Tappert edition on Logos (included as part of the Luther's Works package, I think).

One thing that puzzles me is that it only displays the German translation in e.g. the Augsburg Confession (it was originally issued in both German and Latin; since there are differences between them the hard copy of Tappert includes translations of both on each page; top half German, bottom half Latin).

Could someone else with the same book please check if it displays both translations? I have looked at the product page (http://www.logos.com/product/21068/the-book-of-concord) but it doesn't specify (the only useful fact I could glean from it is the page count, which matches the hard copy).

If it does, could someone please advise me how to display the Latin translation? There are no options in the 'Visual filters' or 'Parallel resource sets' that I can see (i.e. not like an interlinear Bible).

Many thanks,

Michael 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:00 PM

Peace, Michael!            God Bless you on your preparations to serve Him in the future!        *smile*

Tappert does not have the German and Latin!     It is an English Translation.    It does NOT contain the Latin and the German!

When I was a Lutheran Seminarian over 50 years ago, Tappert was just coming out!         I guess I must have gotten one of the first ones.           However, my tutelage was under the auspices of The Rev. Dr. Arthur Carl Piepkorn, my Professor, who required us to use an edition of the Bekenntnisschriften which I've since given away!  When we had a test he permitted us to have the book with us for many of his tests since he said that if we knew Latin and German we were half way there.      The unfortunate thing about his tests was that he deducted the number of wrong answers from the number of correct answers so you could do pretty poorly if you guessed too much!      *smile*

One of these days I'm going to purchase, Deo Volente, theTriglotta since I've given my Bekenntnisschrfiften to one of our Canadian Seminaries.

I believe Northwestern Publishing carries it; and Logos carries Northwestern's Resources; however, I haven't checked it out lately.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:08 PM

Hi Milford,

Thanks for your quick reply. Apologies if I didn't make it clear, but I am looking for the translation of the Latin in my Logos resource, not the original language text itself. The translation that is currently displayed in Logos comes from the German text only, so effectively only shows half of Tappert's work (the hard copy of Tappert which I have displays the English translation of both the German and Latin text). Please let me know if this is unclear.

Thanks again,

Michael

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:12 PM

aha!    Sorry, Michael!            Will do that immediately!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:17 PM

OK!   My apologies!         That is a separate resource.  Also by Tappert!          I have them both and forgot at this late hour for me in Eastern Canada that I have them both.

Very sorry, Michael!

Here is the title:

The Augsburg Confession

Translated from the Latin

Translated and edited by

Theodore G. Tappert

in collaboration with

Jaroslav Pelikan, Robert H. Fischer, and Arthur C. Peipkorn

Posts 19055
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:24 PM

I think I found the explanation.

There is a footnote on the heading ARTICLES OF FAITH AND DOCTRINE of the Augsburg Confession that reads: "The print edition of The Book of Concord contains two versions of the Augsburg Confession. The version presented below is the English translation based on the German text of the Augsburg Confession. Mr. Tappert also presents an English translation based on the Latin text of the Augsburg Confession. The translation from the Latin is also available with the title of The Augsburg Confession, Translated from the Latin. Note that the English translation from the Latin will scroll synchronously with this volume, simply use the “link” button in the book window to link the texts together for synchronous scrolling."

I could not find a Logos resource titled "The Augsburg Confession, Translated from the Latin."

Sounds like it was something Logos used to sell but does not anymore. See http://library.glcc.edu/library/Libronix%20Bibliography.htm and search for that title.

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:24 PM

Thanks Milford, that explains it. I do not appear to have that resource in my library. Strange that it is not bundled with the Tappert BoC. I'll have to ask Logos support about it.

I appreciate your responses at this late hour. Have a good night!

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:28 PM

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for that explanation. I couldn't find the resource on the Logos site either - I'll send support an email to see what my options are for getting a copy.

M.

Posts 1739
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:33 PM

Hmm - I got both with Luther's Works back when I got the CDROM from Amazon years ago.

Kolb-Wengert does the same thing, having the translation of the Latin Augustana as a separate resource. 

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:36 PM

Peace, Michael!          I'm so sorry that I cannot remember where and how I got this Translated From The Latin Tappert book!

I've been using Logos resources for 20 years this Spring and have had my Lutheran Resources for a long, long time; and I am thrilled to have it; however I just can't remember acquiring.          Perhaps with my Luther's Works???    But, then, you would have that too...

I'll be

Milford Charles Murray:

OK!   My apologies!         That is a separate resource.  Also by Tappert!          I have them both and forgot at this late hour for me in Eastern Canada that I have them both.

Very sorry, Michael!

Here is the title:

The Augsburg Confession

Translated from the Latin

Translated and edited by

Theodore G. Tappert

in collaboration with

Jaroslav Pelikan, Robert H. Fischer, and Arthur C. Peipkorn

following this thread diligently to learn the answer to this personal riddle!           Meanwhile, God Bless you -- truly and richly!  *smile*

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:37 PM

Thanks much, Rosie and Ken!       *smile*

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:41 PM

Interesting, Ken. I bought Luther's Works online so the resources available may have changed slightly. I've emailed Logos, will let you know what happens.

Because I already had 2 copies of Tappert (+ 2 of the Bekenntnisschriften) I didn't think I needed Kolb-Wengert as well Big Smile.

Thanks,

M.

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 5:55 AM

Hi All,

Thanks again for your assistance. I got an email back from Logos a few days' ago to say that they no longer sell the Latin translation in Tappert, so I'll just have to stick with my hard copy (not a big deal for me).

God bless,

Michael 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 2:25 PM

Michael:

Hi All,

Thanks again for your assistance. I got an email back from Logos a few days' ago to say that they no longer sell the Latin translation in Tappert, so I'll just have to stick with my hard copy (not a big deal for me).

God bless,

Michael 

Peace, Michael!

............    and God Bless You!            *smile*                     You sound like a very diligent and dedicated young scholar. 

Sorry that this is a bit of a "bummer" for you!            ........... but you're handling it well!     Indeed!

Posts 28
Wayne M. Pask | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 4:29 AM

Good Morning Michael,

I think I have been able to track down the source of The Augsburg Confession Translated from the Latin by Tappert. It took me a while, but I think I obtained my copy when I purchased the Concordia Electronic Theological Library: Collection 4. Concordia Publishing House is a publishing partner with Logos and used to sell the Theolgical Library directly. Collection 4 is currently still available from Logos for $40.99. It comes with three other resources that I used while at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.

The print version of Tappert's Book of Concord' Augsburg confess on has the text of the English translation of the German text on the top of the page, separated by a solid line from the English translation of the Augsburg on the lower half part of the page. In the electronic edition, you open both resources, The book of Concord, and the Augsburg Confession and link them. They then scroll together. 

Here is the info for the Augsburg from my library: 

LLS:16.0.11
2002-08-08T19:04:44Z
acmirror.lbxlls

Blessings to you as you continue your studies.

Wayne

Rev. Wayne M. Pask, Emeritus

Richmond,VA

Posts 11133
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 5:13 AM

Wayne M. Pask:
I think I have been able to track down the source of The Augsburg Confession Translated from the Latin by Tappert. It took me a while, but I think I obtained my copy when I purchased the Concordia Electronic Theological Library: Collection 4. Concordia Publishing House is a publishing partner with Logos and used to sell the Theolgical Library directly. Collection 4 is currently still available from Logos for $40.99.

Wayne, 

the Concordia ETL Collection 4 contains the "normal" BoC translation by Tappert, i.e. LLS:16.0.10 - bkconcrd.lbxlls. So either this has changed (why) or your copy came from another source.

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1739
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 5:52 AM

I suspect that those of us who received this on disc from Lutheran Publishers included both, and that Logos didn't realize the importance of having both when they went cloud based.  Of course, I have no evidence for my suspicion.  We should probably politely email Gabe (The Lutheran Product manager) about this.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 5:58 AM

NB.Mick:

Wayne M. Pask:
I think I have been able to track down the source of The Augsburg Confession Translated from the Latin by Tappert. It took me a while, but I think I obtained my copy when I purchased the Concordia Electronic Theological Library: Collection 4. Concordia Publishing House is a publishing partner with Logos and used to sell the Theolgical Library directly. Collection 4 is currently still available from Logos for $40.99.

Wayne, 

the Concordia ETL Collection 4 contains the "normal" BoC translation by Tappert, i.e. LLS:16.0.10 - bkconcrd.lbxlls. So either this has changed (why) or your copy came from another source.

Mick

Peace, Good Brothers!       *smile*          

Just in case my information can be helpful to you here it is:

My Augsburg Confession (translated from the Latin)  (Fortress Press) is

LLS:16.0.112002-08-08T19:04:44Zacmirror.lbxlls

My Tappert BofC is

LLS:16.0.102007-08-03T23:25:21ZBKCONCRD.lbxlls

Posts 28
Wayne M. Pask | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 2:02 PM

Hi Milford, good to "see" you 

I dug out my old Libronix disk from CPH (Concordia Publishing House for non LC-MM folks) and verified that that is where my copy of the Tappert Book of Concord came from. I checked the files that I have in Logos 5 and  I have the same files that you do. 

A Tappert Book of Concord without the full English text of the Augsburg Confession would not be a true representation of the Tappert Book of Concord would it? Wink

Concordia changed their distribution of the Concordia Electronic Theological Library about 12-18 months ago. They found it cumbersome to deal with issuing the proper codes to unlock the Libronix editions and Logos was moving to Logos 5.  I think that folks who have the The Book of Concord by Tappert will find that they also have The Augsburg Confession,Translated from the Latin. As I pointed out in my previous reply when the two resources (we call 'em books) are both open they can be linked and the comparison of the text is easier that in the print edition!!

Blessings!   I need to go and finish the last bit of tomorrow morning's Bible Study on the Letters of John: Christ and the Antichrists (1 Jn 2:18-27).

Wayne

Rev. Wayne M. Pask, Emeritus

Richmond,VA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 2:15 PM

Wayne M. Pask:

Hi Milford, good to "see" you 

I dug out my old Libronix disk from CPH (Concordia Publishing House for non LC-MM folks) and verified that that is where my copy of the Tappert Book of Concord came from. I checked the files that I have in Logos 5 and  I have the same files that you do. 

A Tappert Book of Concord without the full English text of the Augsburg Confession would not be a true representation of the Tappert Book of Concord would it? Wink

Concordia changed their distribution of the Concordia Electronic Theological Library about 12-18 months ago. They found it cumbersome to deal with issuing the proper codes to unlock the Libronix editions and Logos was moving to Logos 5.  I think that folks who have the The Book of Concord by Tappert will find that they also have The Augsburg Confession,Translated from the Latin. As I pointed out in my previous reply when the two resources (we call 'em books) are both open they can be linked and the comparison of the text is easier that in the print edition!!

Blessings!   I need to go and finish the last bit of tomorrow morning's Bible Study on the Letters of John: Christ and the Antichrists (1 Jn 2:18-27).

Wayne

Blessings on your studies for tomorrow morning, Wayne!    *smile*

A few years ago my wife and I "took in" Virginia and Maryland and the D.C. area from this part of Eastern Canada!   Really enjoyed it!    Some beautiful country where you live also, eh???

(I will always remember standing and meditating in Arlington National Cemetery, from where one can see the Pentagon and much else! -- and all of it 5 days before the horrors of 9-11.  We got back to Canada by the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Thousand Islands and Gananoque the day before 9-11 and were on a boat trip on the St. Lawrence between our two countries as 9-11 was happening.  Etched in my memory.  The horror of it, eh?!)

I'm an old retired alumnus of St. Louis, 1962, part of the so-called "accelerated"   (or even "exaggerated"(!) class) where because of the addition in 1957 of the Senior College in Fort Wayne (we were the first class there!), thus adding a year to our pastoral studies.  I accelerated a year by taking 3 summers in hot old St. Louis.  Others decelerated so there would be a mostly steady stream of pastors pouring out into the LCMS in 1962.     Lots of things have changed, eh???                        But not Jesus, the same yesterday and today and forever!!!!              *smile*

Thanks for your post, Wayne!

(BTW, it actually took me 9 years of studies before ordination AFTER graduating from Public High School Grade 12.  3 years at Concordia College, Milwaukee (in those days!), 2 years at Fort Wayne, plus 3 years at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, with a year interning (or - "vicaring" at St. Paul's Lutheran, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)!           Praise God for being able to study His Word so intensely -- which still do!    *smile*

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS