Logos 5 Upgrade question - SOS

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 133
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 26 2013 7:15 PM

I have Logos 4.6 Scholar's Library Platinum (wth lots of added resources that I have purchased as I went along). I am wanting to upgrade to 5 but have a couple of questions.

What is the lowest upgrade that will give me the new v.5 features?
Will I still be able to keep and use my existing resources or am I forced to get an even higher version to keep what I have? I don't want to lose anything.

Thanks,

James

Posts 1518
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2013 7:21 PM

jwsheets:

I have Logos 4.6 Scholar's Library Platinum (wth lots of added resources that I have purchased as I went along). I am wanting to upgrade to 5 but have a couple of questions.

Will I still be able to keep and use my existing resources or am I forced to get an even higher version to keep what I have? I don't want to lose anything.

Thanks,

James

You wont lose anything, even if you get the minimal crossgrade. However, if you want ALL the new features and datasets of L5 you'll have to get at least the Gold package. However, you'll probably be just fine with Bronze.

Posts 26513
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2013 7:29 PM

jwsheets:

Get a package with the books you want. If it is lower than Gold you can get the missing datasets/features with the Minimal Crossgrade, but the Core Datasets may be all you want. See http://wiki.logos.com/Upgrade_or_Crossgrade  for more information and ask again if necessary.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 133
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2013 8:19 PM

Thanks, Guys!

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:46 AM

It's cheap to add the Minimal Crossgrade to Bronze (around $18 (it's that low for me, it may be just sligthly higher to You since You don't have BOTH L4 Scholar's Silver and Original Languages Library)), and very cheap to add it to Silver (almost $7). What You get when You add it to Silver, is the Bible Sense lexicon database, You can find a wiki article explaining what it is.

Base-packages may often contain things that are very similar to what You might already have. Bronze contains a Bible dictionary called Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (4 vols.). It's not that good. Most base-packages (for example Silver and Platinum) contain a whole lot of commentaries, and that might not add all that much value to You.

A higher L5 base-package contains everything from the L5 packages below it.

Just to clarify: it is possible for You to buy just the Minimal Crossgrade. That's not a very cheap option, but at least You are not paying extra or getting books that You'll never use, plus You'll save time when You do searches accross Your entire library not having to wade through more search results than now that You are on L4 Scholar's Silver.

(I first upgraded to Silver and Verbum Basic (I had Original Languages Library and L4 Catholic Foundations - which was very similar to Verbum Basic). I returned Silver and kept Bronze, and of course I didn't loose any of the L4 and earlier resources that way. Recently I gave away the Verbum Basic and Catholic Foundations to a poor person, I thought that I will not have much use for the Early Church Fathers, both because I don't read most of them and because the translations are dated and there has now come a new translation: Worship in the Early Church: An Anthology of Historical Sources (4 vols.). I have not taken the L5 minimal crossgrade even though I'm a language guy (Gk).)

Btw, You can add a minimal crossgrade at any point in time later on, it is never on a sale anyway.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2013 3:36 AM

jwsheets:

Thanks,

James

I am happy with the free engine.

Posts 29232
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:26 AM

jwsheets:
I have Logos 4.6 Scholar's Library Platinum

Hey James! I don't have much to add here, but wanted to help clarify one thing that confuses many people… When you shared your base package with us, you felt compelled to share the version of your software. I just want to make sure you understand that the two are completely unrelated. The fact that you are running 4.6 has no bearing on base packages. Logos has a tendency to tie in advertising of base packages with the new software… which is a good technique for them, but has the unfortunate side effect of misleading some people who don't understand that the software and base packages are really unrelated… mostly. The exception to this is that there are new features in L5 which require data sets which are purchased either through cross grades or base packages. 

Tom above suggested that he is happy with just the "free engine." I would encourage you to update to L5 now via the free engine, even if you aren't quite ready to make a purchase. You can add a package or cross grade at your convenience another time. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29232
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:31 AM

One more quick thing… You should also be aware that the "level" of base package you owned previously is unimportant to your current purchase. For example: I previously purchased an old "platinum" package. I still own that and have added a new "gold" package to it. This is only a "step down" in the imagination of some people. I have lost none of my old resources. Nor have I lost any of my "pride." Wink

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3294
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2013 5:37 AM

Minimal Crossgrade at minimum, yeah yeah I know pun city!  But seriously the minimal crossgrade has been great for me and I had the scholars library in L4.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS