What if Microsoft tanks

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 57
Geoff | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 2 2013 8:36 AM

There is a lot of talk in the news lately about Microsoft 8 and its lousy interface and the fact that it is killing PC sales across the board. There are also rumblings that people are leaving in droves for Apple and Android devices. So my question is what if Microsoft ceases to exist what then happens to the Logos platform that runs on Windows. I have thousands of dollars tied up into Logos as I am sure many others on here do as well but should the unthinkable and more than likely improbable happen, what if anything will happen to my Windows based Logos 5 setup? I am guessing some of this depends on what would replace windows etc. and more thought would obviously take place when and if it happened but I am honestly just curious.

Posts 2497
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:40 AM

Then You and I will just have to go and buy a MAC.  And then there will be the needed MAC customer base to fix the last of the MAC problems. 

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:43 AM

From a Mac Fanboy: The reports of Microsoft's demise are greatly exaggerated. Big Smile

(You have nothing to worry about. Mac still only has about 10 percent of the market. Microsoft has over 80 percent. If they have to, they will bring back XP Surprise).

By the way… You are right that people have largely abandoned Windows for handheld devices… but what does that have to do with the desktop?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:44 AM

David Ames:
Then You and I will just have to go and buy a MAC.  And then there will be the needed MAC customer base to fix the last of the MAC problems. 

Smile 

Posts 57
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:44 AM

Well that would be an obvious solution but would just buying the MAC solve the problem. In other words is Logos going to convert/trade my PC based Logos files to the MAC free, for a fee, or are we talking brand new purchase. At the end of the day it would not be their fault that Microsoft went belly up nor would they be really obligated to help me in any way shape or form. It would be very nice of them though.

Posts 28122
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:46 AM

Geoff:
is Logos going to convert/trade my PC based Logos files to the MAC free, for a fee, or are we talking brand new purchase.

It already is free! The Software is Free… you pay for the resources. The resource files are the same. You can buy a Mac today (Do it! Do it! Do it!) and install L5 with all of your resources… for FREE! 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:48 AM

Geoff:
So my question is what if Microsoft ceases to exist what then happens to the Logos platform that runs on Windows. I have thousands of dollars tied up into Logos

I have some computers that still run Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 98 & 95 (even OS/2.) I can still run Logos 1.6 on my old computers. If Microsoft goes under my Logos 5 will still run on my machines. I am more concerned about another 9.0 earthquake and tsunami than I am about Microsoft going under. It is more probable and would affect me more.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 57
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:49 AM

There may be a lot of exaggeration going on but companies do fail especially if they feel like they are invincible. I really do like my tablet and phone using Logos but they are no where near as powerful or conducive to study on as my laptop is. This would be a beside the point but is there a way on a android tablet to see the passage guide and have the books you select off of it open next to it rather than on top of it so that it functions more like a desktop?

Posts 57
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:51 AM

I am not sure how you can function with such a wide variety of Logos and windows versions at the same time. I dont think I could stand it especially when if I owned better versions of both that worked.

Posts 2497
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:51 AM

It may not yet be time to buy a MAC but it is time to start investigating what Apple has to offer.  

Posts 57
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:53 AM

Now that I did not know. I thought the resources and the platform that they ran on were tied together. Good to know thanks.

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 9:02 AM

While Microsoft may cease to exist at some point, I don't think it's worth worrying about now.

I used to work at MS years ago. In fact, I was a tester for Windows. If you look through their history, a rotten operating system is nothing new. It happens for a variety of reasons. Credit to MS for plowing on and making improvements so the next version is better.

At one company meeting, an MS higher-up basically said Windows and Office are a license to print money. In other words, those two products are huge and they're not going to let a bad version of Windows stay bad. They'll either fix it, or word harder on the next version. There's simply too much money to be made.

As for rumors, no company tops Apple and what people say/speculate about them. If you listen to some of those rumors, Apple would love to get out of the computer business and focus on mobile devices and being a delivery hub for music/movies.

I don't buy into those Apple rumors any more than I would on the future of Microsoft, at least in the short term meaning the next 5-10 years.

Posts 10670
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 9:32 AM

mwk67:

I used to work at MS years ago. In fact, I was a tester for Windows. If you look through their history, a rotten operating system is nothing new. It happens for a variety of reasons

good point. As a Mac user, I was pleased with Vista. That release did more for Apple than any amount of marketing could ever do. But it also brought on W7. Perhaps W8 will be similar

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 9:40 AM

Let me think...

• Microsoft: Multinational, multi-billion dollar corporation.
  • Logos: Family owned and operated small business.

Which has the better odds at longevity, let me think...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 5270
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 9:47 AM

I have been a mac user for over 20 years, but I can feel certain of two things…. MS is not likely going anywhere, and if by some fluke Balmer finally kills off MS, I would bet you would find another company picking up pieces to offer support in many different ways. There are far too many businesses and people world wide using windows in critical areas for governments to allow it to die. Apple is always an option but for many it's not practical because of cost and current hardware investments (the computer industry as a whole may want us all to get new computers every 3-4 years minimally but i know many organizations and businesses using computers 10-15 years old (without problems). Microsoft has big problems now but they will get over them almost certainly.Like the hydra you will not get rid of micrsoft easily, unlike the hydra, you probably don't want to either…. 

-dan

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 9:55 AM

It appears to me that Windows 8 is a good OS, but it does not provide any real benefit to laptop/desktop user.  In my opinion, they should have further developed Win8 for the laptop/desktop user without touch screen capability.  Perhaps their upcoming major update will move in this direction.  To me the Metro interface is superior to Apple or Android on tablets, and I would be fine with it on the desktop if it was better implemented for the mouse.  A touchscreen on a desktop/laptop is not at all the same as for a tablet; the ergonomics are completely different.  They just need to regroup and better appreciate these two ecosystems.  They have been successful in the past, so no reason to think otherwise now.  In the meantime I am sticking with Win7.

Regards

Posts 28242
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 10:24 AM

Geoff:
So my question is what if Microsoft ceases to exist what then happens to the Logos platform that runs on Windows.

If you watch the actual ebb and flow of computer technology companies, you will notice that a company that is a major player at one point loses customers to another company/technology over time. If they aren't nimble enough to reinvent themselves for the new mark, they get bought up by a bottom feeder who keeps the product alive as long as there is a demand. Note that is "alive" not innovative new development.  By the time Microsoft (or Apple or Unix) goes under, you will probably have moved on to other products ... and Logos will have tried to follow/lead its customers.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 10:44 AM
I haven't installed it, but it struck me that Windows 8 was two operating systems bolted together. A fully integrated tablet and laptop operating system, and a hybrid device with detachable keyboard, may be the way forward—I just got the impression that they hadn't quite got it right with Windows 8. I want all the power and interface of my laptop with the convenience and the all-day battery life of my iPad. In the meantime I stick with a Windows 7 Ultrabook and an iPad, and often carry both around with me.
Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 11:16 AM

People are not abandoning Windows. Quite simply most consumers find more satisfaction and bang-for-the-buck by keeping their existing desktop PCs and us

ing their available gadget-budget to buy mobile devices and flat screen television. Upgrading a PC desktop or laptop right now simply does not compare with the return a consumer gets. Are desktop PC and laptops dead? By no means. They just don't have anything better-enough or new to offrr right now.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 11:30 AM

Apple is a major leader in the phone/tablet market, but is a niche player on the desktop. From their quarterly results posted last week, they only made 10% of their sales in dollars from the Macs. I am just saying it will be a VERY VERY long time before Mac drives MSFT out of business on the desktop.

Plus, Microsoft is a very cash-rich company that could finance product development, buy companies, whatever it needs to survive. In the last year (source: Yahoo Finance) Microsoft generated 7.7 billion dollars in CASH, and they paid 9 billion dollars in dividends. They paid more dividends than the cash they generated, because, well they have $85 billion in cash, investments, and short term monies owed them as of June 30 a year ago (that number will go up). They are paying more dividends than cash generated because they don't NEED that much cash.

Microsoft has lost the war of the phone and tablet - but they are the play on the desktop for a very long time to come.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS