Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 914
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 4 2013 9:36 AM

Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament

TimeTime to push it over the line________________________________________________

https://www.logos.com/product/8512/a-critical-lexicon-and-concordance-to-the-english-and-greek-new-testament

Interesting lexicon and concordance for the layman.  A charming little lexicon and concordance.

P A

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 9:45 AM

More interesting is Abbott-Smith's lexicon (you should still have BDAG). http://www.logos.com/product/31160/abbott-smiths-manual-greek-lexicon-of-the-new-testament.  I was able to obtain a print version of this from the library of Bruce Metzger.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 914
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 9:58 AM

Yes

Posts 7743
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 10:26 AM

I'm in for both.  The price is great! I'm just disappointed I missed out on the Bauer Collection, but hey, can't have it all.

DAL

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 10:40 AM

In answer to your question regarding whether I knew Bruce Metzger (which you apparently edited out), no.  I simply was able to purchase a book from his library with his signature.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 10:41 AM

Stick out tongue

This was interesting. Name-dropper. lol

Well, I like Abbott-Smith as a concise, handy Greek-English lexicon and keep it handy to my table when I am studying. If I need more info. I go to other resources. If I remember right, he was a Unitarian. Am I correct?

Ergatees

BTW. Today is Holy Saturday. By the time you read this it will be time to say: "Christ is Risen!"

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 10:52 AM

Ergatees:

Stick out tongue

This was interesting. Name-dropper. lol

Well, I like Abbott-Smith as a concise, handy Greek-English lexicon and keep it handy to my table when I am studying. If I need more info. I go to other resources. If I remember right, he was a Unitarian. Am I correct?

Ergatees

BTW. Today is Holy Saturday. By the time you read this it will be time to say: "Christ is Risen!"

Not so much a name-dropper as indicating that a scholar such as Bruce Metzger used the lexicon.  If I'm not mistaken, Bruce Metzger was a Presbyterian.  Apparently you are Orthodox, happy Easter.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 5:48 AM

George Somsel:
More interesting is Abbott-Smith's lexicon (you should still have BDAG). http://www.logos.com/product/31160/abbott-smiths-manual-greek-lexicon-of-the-new-testament.

This is closing tomorrow. Could you say a bit more about why I might want it?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:43 AM

Good question to George. I saw the last blurb on having LXX usage which is pretty light in Logos, outside of the Lust one.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:47 AM

fgh:

George Somsel:
More interesting is Abbott-Smith's lexicon (you should still have BDAG). http://www.logos.com/product/31160/abbott-smiths-manual-greek-lexicon-of-the-new-testament.

This is closing tomorrow. Could you say a bit more about why I might want it?

I'd say it's best if you look for yourself.  Here is a link to it on the internet.  I would recommend the PDF file.  Look at a number of pages where you will not that for the LXX is gives the main Hebrew word(s) which it translates.    I managed to get ahold of Metzger's copy from a used book dealer several years ago.  I figure that if it was good enough to take up space in Metzger's library, it's good enough to have a place in mine (And at that price, what do you have to lose?).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 7:02 AM

You're right; quite a bit of LXX coverage. I'll sign up.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9495
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 7:10 AM

That's helpful. Thanks for posting Denise. How can you lose for $7?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 3:58 PM

George Somsel:
I'd say it's best if you look for yourself.

I'm afraid I rarely find time to evaluate resources before I bid, so I decide to do it before closing. Then I decide to do it before shipping. Then I decide to do it before it's too late to return them. Then I find it never got done...Tongue Tied

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 5:09 PM

fgh:

George Somsel:
I'd say it's best if you look for yourself.

I'm afraid I rarely find time to evaluate resources before I bid, so I decide to do it before closing. Then I decide to do it before shipping. Then I decide to do it before it's too late to return them. Then I find it never got done...Tongue Tied

It's a good thing you don't procrastinate.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS