Have I misunderstood Type:Commentary?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 4:43 AM

I thought Type:Commentary was for commentaries on the Pseudepigrapha, the Apostolic Fathers and the like. Now I find that several of the Popular Patristic volumes have been tagged as 'Commentary', although they don't seem to be commentaries on any particular text. My immediate thought was to put them on Metadata correction proposals, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something? Making some monographs and some commentaries seems so deliberate.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 25200
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2013 4:12 PM

Because there is a commentary on the writings of John (for example) amongst the other essays some volumes of the Early Church Fathers are dubbed as "Bible Commentary". It is a marginal interpretation of Logos' policy for categorising commentaries, but I simply tag them as "Notes" and ensure they don't get included with my commentary collections.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2013 2:48 AM

I wasn't talking about the ECF; I was talking about the Popular Patristics. And I wasn't talking about patristic Bible commentaries, which are rightfully tagged as 'Bible Commentary'; I was talking about books like On the Church and On the Soul and the Resurrection, which are tagged as 'Commentary'. A short introduction doesn't make something a 'Commentary', as far as I know? 

On the Lord's Prayer could have been a commentary, except as far as I can see it isn't -- and if it was, it should have been a 'Bible Commentary', not just a 'Commentary'. From my understanding of type:commentary, the only one that might qualify is On the Apostolic Tradition, which does seem to include both the Apostolic Tradition and a commentary on it.

I'll send a mail to Louis.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2013 6:42 PM

Noticed Pirke Avot is Type:Commentary that has indexes for Mishnah, Page, and Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, but does not have a Bible Index:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2013 11:52 PM

fgh:

I wasn't talking about the ECF; I was talking about the Popular Patristics. And I wasn't talking about patristic Bible commentaries, which are rightfully tagged as 'Bible Commentary'; I was talking about books like On the Church and On the Soul and the Resurrection, which are tagged as 'Commentary'. A short introduction doesn't make something a 'Commentary', as far as I know? 

On the Lord's Prayer could have been a commentary, except as far as I can see it isn't -- and if it was, it should have been a 'Bible Commentary', not just a 'Commentary'. From my understanding of type:commentary, the only one that might qualify is On the Apostolic Tradition, which does seem to include both the Apostolic Tradition and a commentary on it.

I'll send a mail to Louis.

It seems puzzling. I think perhaps they intended "Commentary" to mean a commentary on some work other than the Bible, in other words which isn't indexed with bible references. On the Lord's Prayer, while it could be thought of philosophically as a Bible Commentary (since the Lord's Prayer originates in Scripture), the book itself deals with it as a text in its own right. It does not march through the biblical text verse by verse, or chapter by chapter, as a true Biblical Commentary type would do.

In my opinion, these should all be Monographs.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 12:56 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Noticed Pirke Avot is Type:Commentary that has indexes for Mishnah, Page, and Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, but does not have a Bible Index

That book is a commentary: a commentary on the Mishnah tractate by the same name.

Rosie Perera:
I think perhaps they intended "Commentary" to mean a commentary on some work other than the Bible

Exactly!

Louis replied while I slept and said that they'd look into it, but he suspected that I was right and that only On the Apostolic Tradition should be type:commentary.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1087
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 12:51 PM

This is correct.

We're updating the metadata so that each resource in the entire collection will have a resource type of monographs. The exception will be On the Apostolic Tradition which will remain as type:commentary.

Thanks, Kyle.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 1:28 PM

Thanks. I can see the change already. Smile

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS