BDAG PRO/CONS

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 49 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 7:45 AM

Veli Voipio:
By the way, the Exegetical Summary series by SIL refer to BAGD, to the older version. Logos should provide either the older version for free or some sort of crossover links to BDAG

It would need to be the latter since when they began to publish BDAG they discontinued BAGD (I think by contract).  Some of us do still have BAGD and could supply the references if you would care to poste the links to BAGD that interest you.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 7:52 AM

So what is the likely hood of BDAG being updated in the next 10 years? As I understand all those who worked on previous editions have passed away. Has anyone taken up their mantle? How would it be funded in a time when a growing number buy books on computer?  I assume that a new edition would more likely be a group effort than have so much coming from one or two individuals.

Unix:
Well, regarding the cost, I note that if I would buy it, there would eventually come a new Edition. Then I would feel I have to buy the new Edition. What would I do with two Editions? The cost for that would be high.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 8:02 AM

Wayne:

So what is the likely hood of BDAG being updated in the next 10 years? As I understand all those who worked on previous editions have passed away. Has anyone taken up their mantle? How would it be funded in a time when a growing number buy books on computer?  I assume that a new edition would more likely be a group effort than have so much coming from one or two individuals.

Unix:
Well, regarding the cost, I note that if I would buy it, there would eventually come a new Edition. Then I would feel I have to buy the new Edition. What would I do with two Editions? The cost for that would be high.

The next step in Greek lexica may not be in English. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diccionario_Griego-Espa%C3%B1ol

http://dge.cchs.csic.es/ 

Spanish is beginning to gain a place in scholarship.  I wouldn't anticipate a new edition of A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature any time in the near future.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 9:04 AM

Unix:
Also, a couple of days ago Logos told me that I will no longer get to buy any books at pre-pub price.

What? Surprise  On the surface this sounds outrageous.  Was any reason given?  Have you been in the habit of cancelling pre-pubs?

Word from Logos would be appreciated if this is some new policy.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 9:14 AM

George Somsel:

What? Surprise  On the surface this sounds outrageous.  Was any reason given?  Have you been in the habit of cancelling pre-pubs?

Word from Logos would be appreciated if this is some new policy.

If this is a new policy, you can rest assured that this is a policy just for Unix, because (let's try putting in politely), his way of 'buying' and frequently returning Logos books isn't entirely orthodox.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 9:18 AM

George Somsel:
What? Surprise  On the surface this sounds outrageous.  Was any reason given?

Read his post again; the reason is there. He's forcing them to handle every shipping prepub manually, by telephone. Guess what that costs them!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 9:50 AM

Unix:
 I haven't even seen my children for several years because I have not been ready (and have almost no rights to see them anyway which put me down) and I would certainly not afford buying them gifts or anything but I guess they would expect to get gifts. I'm not bitter. If someone doesn't care about me I care about them even less. If my children choose to believe the lies of their mother that's fine by me and I will not need to nor want to see them. It's up to them, not me.

That is a very sad comment.  I wasn't previously aware that you have children.  It isn't simply a matter of whether your children "care about" you.  What  is important is that you have a responsibility to them though I might say that judging from some of your posts here I wonder whether not having you in their life is to their benefit.  Straighten up !  Be a man and accept responsibility for their welfare and nurture.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 9:59 AM

I and their mother have nothing to do with each other, so it would be impossible to give them money even if I had and wanted to:

George Somsel:
Straighten up !  Be a man and accept responsibility for their welfare and nurture.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 11:05 AM

Unix:

I and their mother have nothing to do with each other, so it would be impossible to give them money even if I had and wanted to:

George Somsel:
Straighten up !  Be a man and accept responsibility for their welfare and nurture.

I said nothing about money (though you should provide some support).  I referred to your personal interaction with your children.  You don't need to have anything to do with their mother—have something to do with your children.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 1:51 PM

Unix:

Even if it's more effort to learn the wrong definitions first only to correct them later from the next Edition of BDAG, that's the way to go. The alternative is that I don't learn at all. I'm old when starting, things will come in between like I explained. The most simplified, cheap and adequate sollution is the best. I save more than a $100, those money I can use for compensating my precision.

David Thomas:
If precision is not important, one would better spend the time studying good commentaries rather than learning of Greek and Hebrew.

I expect it to take quite many years to learn Gk and that there's no easy way. Have to learn a lot of grammar by heart as well as vocabulary. Being able to read th Gk NT a lot is ~a decade from now.

Probably I'm several times more poor than most or all of You others and my finances will probably never be as good as now. For better finances I should start yet another proprietary firm, but my imagination is stuck so I don't know what the firm should do and in what way exactly I should start it.

To go to Church more often (for example when there's bad weather and/or I don't have a ticket for public transport, or even when I have a ticket just to get there quicker) I should buy a moped-car, it's a kind of car with reduced top speed. I could not afford taking a driving licence, I just have a manual gear moped license. And my moped should be assembled. So that kind of stuff might consume money in the future, altough they are of course optional. I have a long way to all adequate Churches.

So no matter how I solve things, Christianity will cost me a lot of money. It's difficult to find a really cheap way out and still be active and learn:

Evan Boardman:
but the reason for any fine tool and what others are trying to say is, it will lessen your burden.

Peace to you, Unix!                       Peace in our Lord Jesus Christ!          *smile*               Psalm 29:11

I've just spent a few minutes in prayer for you and for the Holy Spirit's handling of some of the things that have been said on this very difficult thread!                                       Some of these things are truly beyond any one of us!

If I need forgiveness for interjecting in this thread, please forgive me.  However, your personal life comes across as very difficult for you right now; so I thought I'd write a few friendly words of encouragement.

I know English is your second (or even third, perhaps ... ) language and perhaps we've been talking past each other.

My heart goes out to you that right now you say you are finding it difficult to have a true friend with whom you can discuss various matters of life.

I was "taken aback" at your phrase -- quote -- "Christianity will cost me a lot of money..."          What you say is true and even more so ...

Truly following God - His Word - His Beloved Son Jesus Christ will cost a lot more than money.    Somehow, Unix, you need to get back to the basics of a personal relationship with a Beautiful and Wonderful God who truly cares about you in so many fantastic ways.

I remember learning the guitar in my 30's, necessary because I needed a guitarist in Worship.      My fingers were so sore on the metal strings....              I remember the pain .....

but someone gave me some advice ...    keep at it until your fingers become "tender tough," until your callouses are tough and strong, but very flexible ...........            and I was able to get to that point!!!

Unix, I think the attitude of the Christian is a bit "tender tough," also.     We "hang on in there" during days of pain and struggle -- no matter what!                  Then, all of a sudden ...     one day everything is beautiful and everything is possible ...

Hang on in there, Brother!               *smile*                           and May God give you forgiveness and meaning for your life and daily peace and contentment!           Indeed.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS