Requesting user feedback: Send to Kindle feature

Page 8 of 24 (471 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 470 Replies | 19 Followers

Posts 690
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2013 10:37 AM

I don't care at all if notes, highlights, or anything else can be imported. Most of the monograph-type books I have in Logos are not useful to me at all, but I would like to read many of them. I would if I had them exported to my Kindle.

I would also buy more books from Logos. I have passed up many or bought them from Amazon so I could read them on the Kindle. I would much rather Logos get my money. :)

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2013 10:55 AM

Jerry Bush:
I would much rather Logos get my money. :)
If I'm Logos CEO, this would be music to my ears, and enough reason to go ahead and implement this feature immediately. I'm sure you're not the only person with this sentiment.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2013 9:25 PM

Sleiman:

Jerry Bush:
I would much rather Logos get my money. :)
If I'm Logos CEO, this would be music to my ears, and enough reason to go ahead and implement this feature immediately. I'm sure you're not the only person with this sentiment.

Me, too!  Yes

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2013 11:12 PM

Tonya J Ross:

Development is considering implementing a 'Send to Kindle' feature for resources in your Logos library.  

Before investing a significant amount of time on this item, we would like to assess user interest based on the fact that this feature would not support sending notes/highlights to or receiving notes/highlights from Kindle devices/apps (which is mentioned in the UserVoice request for this item).

Please let us know if you would still be interested in seeing this feature.

I am getting into this discussion a bit late, but do have some thoughts.  I hope that some of this can generate some discussion of the possibilities for LOGOS as it develops the tool suggested by Tonya last Friday.

I like the idea - with a few questions:

1. Can we send over 100 pages using the proposed method?
  2. Kindle has a built in maximum size of a personal document that can be sent to the Kindle.  Perhaps if the conversion could be to a Mobi document that could be loaded from a PC (rather than sent to a Kindle), it would be possible to get around this limitation.
  3. Using the normal "send to Kindle" procedure, the document cannot be sent to a Kindle app - only to a Kindle device.  Again, this can be worked around by actually creating a Mobi document and then sideloading it from the PC.
  4. There already exists a "Send to Kindle" printer provided by Amazon - at least for the PC.  I do not know if this is also available for the Mac, though I would guess it is.  I just sent a 94 page document (nearly the max, unless a larger document is allowed using the LOGOS tool) without errors.  The "Send to Kindle" printer also allows highlighting to be "printed", I do not know about notes.
  5. The "Send to Kindle" printer converts LOGOS print file to a PDF and the PDF is sent to the chosen Kindle e-reader (again, you cannot send to an app using this procedure).  Note, other file formats are sent AS-IS - where AMAZON has tools on its end to convert to a more standard Mobi or Kindle format.

What might be more useful and marketable as a separate product, as well, is a "Print to Mobi" or "Print to ePub" printer (as someone noted, the conversion between the two is relatively simple with Calibre).  The resulting Mobi file could be then sent to the Kindle, using the normal tools used to mail a document to one's Kindle or it could be sideloaded in a Kindle.  

The advantage of ePub is that there are tools that can read an ePub file for the Kindle (at least on the Kindle Fire), but I know of no tools that can be used on a Nook to read a Kindle book. 

Most of this comes from my experience - not from any insider information.  As a book reviewer, I get books in a variety of formats and have worked to find methods and workarounds that allow me to send a great many files to one or more of my Kindles (a Kindle Fire and an original Kindle) for reading - either as text or to be read aloud as I drive.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 32
Andrew BN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 10:45 AM

I have done the export to MS Word, convert to Kindle via Calibre for a few shorter books that I would want to read on holiday and will never read on PC in Logos. A direct conversion would be great.

Posts 5
Jonathan St.Clair | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 3:12 PM

Absolutely! This would be one of the best technological advancements Logos could make next. Even if highlighting and other features will not work this way, the Kindle's E-Ink and long battery life would make Logos book reading much easier. Thank you for looking into this!

Posts 11
Nathanial Simmons | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2013 7:21 AM

So interested I might not sleep! Please do!

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2013 6:01 AM

Yes, please!

Posts 50
Randy O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 18 2013 6:13 AM

Very, Very interested!

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 12:46 PM

Yes.  Would give me a real incentive to switch from buying ebooks from Kindle to Logos depending on price.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 12:57 PM

I would really value this feature, and would definitely increase my already bloated Logos spend.

Posts 38
Todd Beall | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2013 10:50 PM

Yes, I would use a send to Kindle feature but like Floyd's idea better--print to epub or print to mobi/asw. I have both a nook and a kindle, but actually prefer the nook. And (as Floyd mentions) epub is not a proprietary format.

Posts 690
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 5:19 AM

Todd -

What do you like about the Nook that is better? I have concluded the opposite, so I am interested in what your thoughts are.

It is possible that when Logos is talking about "send to Kindle" they are using that generically and may be thinking about epub or another universal format. I have no idea though.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 690
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 5:21 AM

Could someone from Logos tell us what the plans are for this, and especially a timetable if it is going to happen?

I will gladly be a beta tester! Wink

Jerry

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 7:50 AM

I'm kinda new to Logos, but not so new to the Kindle.  I'm kinda curious, what would be the big plus to having a Kindle export feature in Logos?  With the Logos/Vyros reading app on practically every platform except for the dedicated Kindle/Nook black & white reading device, is it just to have this extra choice for reading content?

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 8:23 AM

Steve Farson:
I'm kinda new to Logos, but not so new to the Kindle.  I'm kinda curious, what would be the big plus to having a Kindle export feature in Logos?  With the Logos/Vyros reading app on practically every platform except for the dedicated Kindle/Nook black & white reading device, is it just to have this extra choice for reading content?

It's for e-Ink display, I presume. Since buying an eInk device, I read about twice as much as I used to, and most of that reading is Logos resources that I've exported in the current, rather convoluted manner.

Posts 27776
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 8:24 AM

Steve Farson:
With the Logos/Vyros reading app on practically every platform except for the dedicated Kindle/Nook black & white reading device, is it just to have this extra choice for reading content?

Yes... but for many people it isn't an "extra" choice, but the "only" choice. For example: A Kindle is $69. An iPad (my preferred device) is $399 (for a mini). Also, there are people who prefer an "eInk" reader, which is more "natural" and has the added benefit of being visible in full light. I don't have a Kindle, and if I could only have one device, it would be an iPad... but if Logos goes through with this, I would probably pick up a Kindle during black friday.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 2:07 PM

I agree with Alabama24. If I was a Kindle owner and I didn't have an iPad, this would be a real attraction to me. (in addition to some prefer the Kindle display)

The trouble I see though is that if you have an iPad AND you have paid a premium for a Logos resource to be tagged, I assume the benefit of being able to send it to the Kindle somewhat diminishes because of reduced functionality.  You also can't access other features such as reading plans, notes and highlighting. 

As someone who does not have a Kindle, I rejoice with those that this would be a great benefit, but I would hope that we would not see this done at the expense of iPad improvements such as clippings, prayer lists and other enhancements as listed on uservoice. 

Posts 84
Ron Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 2:39 PM

Definitely...would love the option.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 2:43 PM

It looks like Amazon is rolling out this feature to websites:

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/amazon-expands-send-kindle-feature-websites/

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Page 8 of 24 (471 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS