NIV 84 OT Reverse Interlinear

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Michael Motter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 11 2013 11:34 AM

I am told that due to licensing issues with NIV84 that Logos cannot release the OT reverse interlinear.  This is both disappointing and inconvenient.  The NIV84 is my main every day Bible and the absence of the reverse interlinear forces me to go to other Bibles to do my original language research. Any thoughts different views?  I don't want to have to make a change as I have a number of NIV84 copies (E, print, audio, commentaries, etc.) so moving in painful. 

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 12:26 PM

Michael Motter:
I am told that due to licensing issues with NIV84 that Logos cannot release the OT reverse interlinear.

I don't believe the problem is licencing exactly. As I understand it, Logos promised an OT NIV interlinear before the 1984 edition was withdrawn. They therefore decided to honour that promise by producing a 2011 RI, rather than a 1984 RI, and they gave a free 2011 copy to 1984 NIV users who had been promised the RI, so that when it's available everyone who had been promised one could access it. If they produced a 1984 RI instead, then users who bought after 2011 wouldn't be able to access the RI.

The only alternative would obviously have been to do both, but RIs are very expensive to produce, because you need skilled biblical scholars to do the work. The RSV RI is on pre-pub for $49.95, and that's just the NT - which is much shorter and much simpler than the OT. The problem with doing this for the 1984 NIV is that Logos are not allowed to sell that NIV any more, so the market is smaller, and cannot get bigger. I guess that would make the unit cost very high, perhaps even too high.

But I do agree that it's disappointing and inconvenient.

Posts 142
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 12:30 PM

What version of Logos do you have?  If you have Logos 4 or 5 (with the NIV'11), why not set up the NIV'11 reverse interlinear in a parallel column next to the NIV'84.  Save the layout.   Use your NIV'84 as normal, and if you have to look up a word, look it up under the NIV'11, which you have set up right next to it and linked together.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 12:33 PM

Michael Motter:

I am told that due to licensing issues with NIV84 that Logos cannot release the OT reverse interlinear.  This is both disappointing and inconvenient.  The NIV84 is my main every day Bible and the absence of the reverse interlinear forces me to go to other Bibles to do my original language research. Any thoughts different views?  I don't want to have to make a change as I have a number of NIV84 copies (E, print, audio, commentaries, etc.) so moving in painful. 

Sadly, this is not likely to change any time in the near future. Please write the folks at Biblica.com and express your opinion there (I and many others have done this already), as they hold the copyright to the NIV.

The NIV84 is my primary Bible too, and the "official" version of our congregation. This is not likely to change any time soon (for practical more than theological/philosophical reasons).

There are two main workarounds that I use (besides linking the NIV84 to a Hebrew Interlinear, like the LHI). The one I use most often is to link the NIV to another version that does have an OT reverse interlinear, like the ESV. This usually is enough to help me figure out the text behind then NIV. The other work around is to do the same but with the NIV11 (do you have this version?). It is about 90% the same as the NIV84 and most of the changes are cosmetic (brother to brother and sister, etc.), so it is much easier to see the text behind the translation for those situations where the ESV may have gone a different direction than the NIV. Two linked Bibles can be set up in parallel columns to make text comparison easier.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 2:48 PM

Dreaming of Reverse Interlinear for Anglicised NIV 1984 => http://www.logos.com/product/29979/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 16
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 12 2013 4:02 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Is this the same translation as the NIV84? If so, any idea how it would still be available since they are not able to sell the NIV84 anymore?  What does anglicized mean?  Sorry for asking so many questions, the resource page doesn't have much info about the content.  

Thanks,

James

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 12 2013 4:12 AM

James Taylor:
Is this the same translation as the NIV84?

An internet search for:

site:community.logos.com anglicised

includes thread => NIV 1984 Anglicised "Version"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 12 2013 5:50 AM

James Taylor:

Is this the same translation as the NIV84? If so, any idea how it would still be available since they are not able to sell the NIV84 anymore?  What does anglicized mean?  Sorry for asking so many questions, the resource page doesn't have much info about the content.  

Thanks,

James

Peace, James!                It is not the same "end" translation as 1984 since some items have been "anglicised."     Basically the spellings and various grammatical sequences are designed for the British culture, rather than American culture ...              This especially includes different spellings of various words, e.g.     Saviour instead of Savior

honour instead of honour, etc.                         Some Commonwealth countries are also affected to a lesser or greater degree, for example ...  Canada and Australia           

It's a lot more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it as I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning!         *smile*

(Be sure to check the link that "Keep Smiling" posted in the post just before this one....)

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 12 2013 5:54 AM

Dreaming of Reverse Interlinear for Anglicised NIV 1984 => http://www.logos.com/product/29979/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

Keep Smiling Smile

+1 YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2013 3:20 PM

Mark Barnes:
They therefore decided to honour that promise by producing a 2011 RI, rather than a 1984 RI

Are you sure? I can't remember a definitive statement saying there will not be a NIV84 RI, just that the 2011 will be produced first.

Mark Barnes:
The RSV RI is on pre-pub for $49.95

Which seems absurd, given that the RSVCE is already produced. There can't be that many differences.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2013 3:51 PM

fgh:
Which seems absurd, given that the RSVCE is already produced. There can't be that many differences.

It does seem excessive since there would be much duplication between the KJV, the NKJV, the ESV, and NRSV, as well as the RSV-CE - all are pretty close relatives of the RSV translation.  But I understand that RSV-CE is a significant update of the old RSV.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2013 3:55 PM

fgh:
Are you sure? I can't remember a definitive statement saying there will not be a NIV84 RI, just that the 2011 will be produced first.

I didn't say that they definitely weren't ever doing a 1984 NIV RI, but rather than they chose to do a 2011 RI instead of the 1984 RI, and consider the promise for an NIV RI to be honored by that provision:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/45878/341131.aspx#341131

and further down the thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/45878/341190.aspx#341190 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS