Announcing New Logos Video Tools: Learn Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos

Page 7 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
This post has 153 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:43 PM

David A. Peterson:
So if I may refine you analogy, they are not just teaching us how to drive a car, but where to drive it, why we want to get there, and what we should do when we arrive at our destination.

Yes you may. Smile

I think this illustrates very well why Logos does not need to delay this resource to improve the help file.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:45 PM

EdwinKwok:

Have you seen Greek Tutor and Hebrew Tutor softwares?

I too would recommend these programs.

Posts 60
Edwin Kwok | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:15 PM

Thanks for the tip, but is it too late to do it now?

Edwin

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:57 PM

You can try, if you look at the upper right corner of your original post, click on the edit button and just change it, if not, we can ask around and email the staff and get them to change it.

In Christ,

Dave

EdwinKwok:

Thanks for the tip, but is it too late to do it now?

Edwin

I don't know why 10 hours is stuck in my head, that maybe to delete it Just read in another post that it is 18 hours to edit a post

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 12:40 PM

Gregory Kedrovsky:

GabrielValencia:

Despite the recommendations, does anyone know if the Leader's Library would suffice to use this series? I also find this very enticing, but don't think it's worth the $600+ for the Scholar's Library.

That was my thinking, too. It was actually recommended to me (for my studies, etc.) that I get the "Gold" package. $1300.00. Ouch. So... since the Greek/Hebrew Learning Videos recommend the Scholar's Library, I started looking at that. But, still: $500-plus, in addition to BDAG and a Hebrew Lexicon... Ouch, again.

However, if you look over the comparison chart, especially the categories "Original Language Grammars and Tools" and "Original Language Lexicons" (toward the bottom), you'll see that the Leader's Library just doesn't make the grade for language work. You could maybe make the Langugae Library work, but for me it really doesn't look appealing because it's missing so many of the commentaries, etc. And you're still talking $400 plus BDAG and Hebrew Lexicon (ouch one more time).

I guess it's a "cost-benefit" decision. Will the benefit derived from Logos justify the cost? I'm still on the fence with that one (especially since I seem to study better with books, pen, and paper... the "old paths" of the Luddite).

Greg

Greg,

If you are thinking of the Gold, the difference between the Gold and Platinum is about $300 and it contains BDAG and many commentary sets and resources that add up to a huge benefit for the $300 price difference. Many of the commentary sets included are more than $300 if purchased alone. BDAG is $150 of that $300 difference. Definitely worth considering. 

The benefit derived from Logos definitely justifies the cost IF you will use it. It is certainly a TIME and SPACE saver over the book and paper method. The speed of searching is so fast. Then just click on the link and open the resource. You can search your entire library in a matter of seconds, compared to hours with books. It will give you every place a verse or item is referenced...giving you more resources than you would even attempt with a book library. Would you search your whole library for the information? Plus you can copy and paste information which is a huge time savings over writing by hand. Even if you do what I use to do and copy my book pages and mark them up to create my reference file...that's alot of paper, copying and storage. What is the value of your time and storage space? Plus you can take your whole library with you anywhere if you have a laptop. Yes there will be a learning curve, but Logos 4 is way more intuitive than Libronex 3 was. They made it much easier to use.

Here's a suggestion... Check with customer service on this, but it is my understanding that if you are not pleased with the product that you can return it for a full refund within 30 days. If you buy it on the payment plan, you can spread the purchase out over up to 12 months so you won't have to lay down all the money up front and you can pay it off at anytime. By purchasing on the payment plan you would be able to basically try it for 30 days with a lower out of pocket and if you decide you don't like it (which I highly doubt) you can return it and get a full refund.

I have several different Bible Study software programs and this is my absolute favorite. Some of the others I have only because, regrettably, that is where I started, some I purchased because they offered resources that Logos didn't offer at the time. If I had to choose just one, it would be Logos.

Happy studying.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:00 PM

P. Keith Larson:
We have a passion for souls and we know it is only through God's Word that people are born again and transformed after the image of Jesus Christ.

Thank you, Keith:

Nicely phrased etc.

Regards

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 9:49 AM

Greg,

LOGOS is an amazing product. ALL of us agree to that. We buy LOGOS for what it CAN do - which if this were only limited to the tutorial videos would be WELL worth the price. BUT, it can do SO MUCH MORE and as you continue to grow and as you want to do more - you can. LOGOS is packed with helpful advanced features, but the "out of the box" tools and resources are easily accessible and enormously productive. 

Building a library of searchable resources that can cut hours and hours off your work load and give you access to a broader range of options than you would otherwise have had is something that no other bible software product can do. The company IS committed to their client base and are always including us in the growth process and further development =  improvement of the software. On a practical basis, I have grown since I started using LOGOS. My ability to effectively serve my congregation has also improved and because of that, my congregation has grown. Yes, it is costly. But that cost is capable of producing benefits far beyond the initial outlay. It took me about two years before I "took the plunge" and purchased my package (largely because of cost). But now that I have been using it - I only wish I had bought it sooner. i am confident that most (/almost every) user has a similar sentiment.

I think what Praiser said is very helpful - I have the Platinum and am abundantly pleased. I look at it as a lifetime investment. For your consideration, I would say - make a call to the 800 number and speak to a sales rep. They will probably be able to give you a better arrangement that you thought possible. That might help you (it sure helped me) to make your decision. 

Posts 1
Leila Franklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 10:07 AM

I have  BDAG and no clue how to switch to the Greek alphabet to type a word into BDAG to look it up.  What do I need to do?

Posts 3705
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 1:44 PM

http://wiki.logos.com/How_to_enter_text_in_Greek_and_Hebrew

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 10:18 AM

We're getting close to "mid-February" (the earliest this product would be ready). I wonder... has anyone heard anything? Any news about a release date?

Greg

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:27 PM

Well here it is Feb 24th and I was wondering what the status is of getting this sent out.  I for one could really use this in a coming quarter.

Posts 57
Jim Carlile | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 12:02 PM

Does anyone know when this video will ship? I am "dying" to get my hands on it.

Posts 9
Robert Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2010 5:57 PM

Trying to resurrect this thread...any news about the Hebrew and Greek videos???  I just purchased, so I'm glad for the delay (yes, I know there was never a promise that it would be ready by now, just a prediction).  I'm up for another prediction from anyone with any "knowledge"! Dale Pritchett are you out there?Smile

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2010 8:38 PM

At this page:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/16273.aspx

there was this response:

Donald McNeeley Replied: Yesterday 3:19 PM

Yesterday during a faculty presentation conference, Bob stated taht he expected the product out in 60 days.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 10:45 AM

Looks  as if it will be shipping out on June 10! YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! I can not wait for this to come out. It is coming out on the right time, I will have the rest of the summer to work on my greek before school starts.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 12:04 PM

Jerry Walker:

I will have the rest of the summer to work on my greek before school starts.

Jerry if you want to use this summer to prepare for Greek classes I suggest a good Greek grammar, flash cards and two to three hours of hard work and study per day, everyday during the summer. There are no short cuts to learning a language. Watching these videos will not give you the skills of a third year language student. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

I am amazed that people still think this product is going to help teach them Greek and Hebrew. It is nothing more than a video version of Mounce's "Greek for the Rest of Us." or the Greek in a Week workshops. It will teach you the meaning of grammar terms, so that a person WHO DOES NOT KNOW GREEK OR HEBREW can can make some use of the original language tools found in Logos. I am afraid that many people are going to be very disappointed. The title of this product is very misleading.

I say this not to suggest this product is not useful (I have ordered it myself), but help people understand it is not designed to teach these languages, but only how to use original language tools as well as a third year student; and using original language tools is not the same as knowing the language.

Posts 2398
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 3:38 PM

Any recommendations on a good grammar product offered by Logos?

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 10:17 AM

Well, I "had" ordered this when it came out on pre-pub and although it might be helpful I can't see spending that kind of money on a set of videos. There are no shortcuts to learning a language and so I cancelled mine thid morning. I'll be interested in hear those of you who get it your thoughts.

Just spent a grand on vehicle repairs, which were more pressing Big Smile.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 12:12 PM

Kenneth Shawver:
There are no shortcuts to learning a language

Agreed, Kenneth. 

I just wanted to comment here as well.  The way these video's are being touted is a little misleading as you probably already know.  As a person that has never studied the language I am using it just for the How to use the BDAG and/or HALOT  [ the language tools ] properly.  I am in the mean time going through Mounce's Grammar. (not logos yet)

Sorry to hear about the vehicle.  Hope it will run like a dream for the next 100,000 miles. 

William

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2010 3:04 PM

RonaldQuick:

Any recommendations on a good grammar product offered by Logos?

Of the ones from Logos I like Black's "Learn to Read New Testament Greek."  http://www.logos.com/products/details/5195

Mounce of course is a standard and by June all his lectures will be out in video. The website is http://www.learnbiblicalgreek.com/index.php?page=home

Page 7 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS