Page 4 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 153 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 4
Rodney Underwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 12:08 PM

Amen to that my Brother

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 12:34 PM

Reuben Evans:

We're developing a set of HD videos (over 15 hours of content) designed to help you to use Greek and Hebrew tools in Logos without formal training. Or you can use them to help knock some of the rust off your Greek or Hebrew! 

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5876

Post here with any questions. And I'll see what I can do to answer them.

Hi Reuben,

Thanks for all you are doing to make this a successful experience for users.  I've read the product page, watched the three videos, read all these posts.  Would it be possible sometime in the future when it is feasible to provide a more detailed list of the contents, i.e. table of contents?  It sounds really good but I don't want to have to return it if it doesn't "fit" where I am and I would rather make that judgment ahead of time.  Thanks, again.

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:03 PM

WilliamBingham:

Anthony Etienne:

I agree with you Thomas, this is a very good convience and the 5 bucks a month is not that big a deal. The interest on the credit cards are 8 times that or more per month.

Anthony,  A credit card would charge 40 dollars or more a month for this 160 dollar item?  You might want to check your figures again.

Respectfully

William

The 8 times 5 bucks per month was not being based on any specific cost; but just a general example that 5 bucks a month for the privilege of purchasing over a set amount of time, was not that unreasonable as you have previoulsy stated. Of course I respect your views on the subject of debt etc.

I choose to spread the payment of the BDAG and Holliday over just 4 months instead of 8; so you have some options to control the cost of the fees.

Posts 12
Keith W. Neville | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:06 PM

I have Scholar's Silver but I don't know what BDAG is, please define...

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:14 PM

Third Edition (copyright 2000)
by Walter Bauer
Edited and revised by Frederick William Danker.

Described as an "invaluable reference work" (Classical Philology) and "a tool indispensable for the study of early Christian literature" (Religious Studies Review) in its previous edition, this new updated American edition of Walter Bauer's Wörterbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments builds on its predecessor's staggering deposit of extraordinary erudition relating to Greek literature from all periods. Including entries for many more words, the new edition also lists more than 25,000 additional references to classical, intertestamental, Early Christian, and modern literature.

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 7:48 AM

Is there any idea when these videos will be complete?

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:06 AM

BDAG is the best Greek lexicon.  It is a must if you do Greek studies.  I also like L&N and Anlex used in combination.  Anlex will show all the morphological forms while L&N will give you a semantic meaning.

Posts 19
Luskey Green | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 10:23 AM

These stated goals meet the needs I have had for many years. It is probably under priced for the benefit it will provide.

Luskey

Posts 10
Dave Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 10:13 PM

We are looking forward to feedback from those using the course as to how to improve it and what supplementary courses would be of interest.  I think the way to view this work is as a launch into a need area and not a total finished solution.  The beauty of Logos created databases is that they can be improved without having to go thru lots of levels of committee approvals.

I would love to see a course on How to Use Logos for studies in Theology, Church History, Preparing Sermons, etc.  We would like to have faculty who are creating assignments using Logos 4 in their various disciplines to share these ideas so that we can create videos to assist in pedagogy for the classrooms and other small groups.  Some people are better at customizing ideas to their own situation than they are creating all new assignments.  For example, I have enjoyed using the Logos Lesson Builder as examples and samples of questions that can be used in small discussion groups.

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:42 AM

Jacob Hantla:

Is there any idea when these videos will be complete?

I would like to second this question: Does anyone have an idea of when this product will be available. The pre-pub price is very, very tempting, but if the package isn't published until 2012 (or some such far-off date), then the temptation is not as great. I would like to incorporate this series into my Greek Exegesis class for my MDiv work. It's seems absolutely perfect for the class (after the traditional two years of Greek: grammar and syntax). I would imagine I'll use it, too, in Hebrew Exegesis (but, I'll get to Greek Exegesis first). So, if the product isn't published within the next six month (give or take), I won't be able to incorporate it into my class.

Is this something coming out soon? In a week? a month? two months? six?

Thanks!

Greg

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:58 AM

Gregory Kedrovsky:
I would like to second this question: Does anyone have an idea of when this product will be available. The pre-pub price is very, very tempting, but if the package isn't published until 2012 (or some such far-off date), then the temptation is not as great.

If you sign up for it now, you lock in the price. If it takes longer than you want to wait, just cancel (You aren't charged for it before it is shipped). Frankly, this is going to be a unique resource for Logos users, and while I am hoping that it completes fairly quickly, using it is a couple of lines down on my to do list.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 7:05 AM

I agree, it would be very useful to have some kind of ball park figure on when your goal date for this project is!

I think anyone that has taken Greek or Hebrew in school can easily see what you are trying to do with these videos and can see how useful they could be not only to those that have a little bacground in languages but also for those that don't.  I love the idea and can hardly wait to see them.

My problem is a limited cash flow, and if these are going to be a while, there are at least three different items that each cost 125-175 dollars each that I would pick up in the near future, if these videos are going to be out in 90 days or more, but if they are going to be out sooner I would not make the other purchases until after I bought these videos, because I see them as being a don't miss item for so many people!

In Christ,

Jim  VanSchoonhoven

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:09 AM

I have another "newbie" question: Will this Logos package run on Libronix (which is free for download) or does one have to buy a Logos product (e.g. Bible Study Library, Scholar's Library, etc. -- I'm in the process of trying to figure out which package would be the most bang for my wee little limited buck)?

Thanks.

Greg

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:24 AM

Gregory Kedrovsky:

I have another "newbie" question: Will this Logos package run on Libronix (which is free for download) or does one have to buy a Logos product (e.g. Bible Study Library, Scholar's Library, etc. -- I'm in the process of trying to figure out which package would be the most bang for my wee little limited buck)?

Sorry. Just answered my own question: They are videos that will run independent of Libronix/Logos (e.g., Quicktime).

But... would anyone have any advice as to which package would contain the basic stuff one might need (a pastor and "distance learning" seminary student) in order to put into practice what is taught on these videos (i.e., to use Logos for language study, mostly in the context of teaching and preaching in a church)?

Thanks.

Greg

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:27 AM

the prepub page suggests that you have the Scholar's library package. it also recommends buying BDAG and A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:37 AM

LaRosa Johnson:

the prepub page suggests that you have the Scholar's library package. it also recommends buying BDAG and A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament

Yeah... I read that. But, frankly, I've been looking through the comparison chart to see if I could "get by" with the Bible Study Library instead. I have BDAG in paper... but, that doesn't help me much with Logos. I did notice, though (sad to say), that the Bible Study Library has only one item under "Original Language Grammars and Tools." That would undoubtedly be a problem...

I'm just trying to save a few bucks, that's all (well, actually, I'm trying to not over-spend -- I tend to want to "buy the farm" instead of just getting what I need).

Thanks again for the response.

Greg

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 1:43 PM

Gregory Kedrovsky:
I tend to want to "buy the farm"

Sounds like a good package name when Logos decides to offer a package above Portfolio. Geeked

Have you looked at the Original Language Package?

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 3:01 PM

JackCaviness:

Sounds like a good package name when Logos decides to offer a package above Portfolio. 

Hey, I get royalties! Starving missionary! Starving missionary! I get royalties!  (What a hoot.)

JackCaviness:

Have you looked at the Original Language Package?

Yes, I did. If I were to do that, I would go ahead and go with the Scholar's, which has some commentaries that would be quite handy.

Thanks, Jack!

Greg

Posts 3
Gabriel Valencia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:34 PM

Despite the recommendations, does anyone know if the Leader's Library would suffice to use this series? I also find this very enticing, but don't think it's worth the $600+ for the Scholar's Library.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 8:00 PM

GabrielValencia:
Despite the recommendations, does anyone know if the Leader's Library would suffice to use this series? I also find this very enticing, but don't think it's worth the $600+ for the Scholar's Library.

Since none of use has seen this series we can't answer with absolute knowledge, but my educated guess is no. The Bible Study Library and the Leader's Library just do not have enough orginal language resources for a person to do any serious work in the original languages.

Page 4 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS