Safe to upgrade to Logos 5 as part of a PC migration?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 38
Tim Bader | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 16 2013 1:56 AM

Hi all,

I currently have Logos 4 on an old PC.

Unfortunately, the PC is dying and I'm am currently trying to move stuff across to the new machine before it goes forever.

My question is whether I should re-install Logos 4 on the new machine, or whether I am "safe" to go straight to Logos 5, or indeed, whether it would be better to do so?

Thanks,

Tim 

Posts 18905
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 2:16 AM

There's nothing unsafe about upgrading to Logos 5. You won't lose anything about your installation (unless you've created any Personal Books) because it's all in the cloud and will download automatically when you install Logos 5 on the new machine. But you will need to pay something to get the full use of the features that rely on new datasets in Logos 5. See http://blog.logos.com/2012/11/5-ways-to-move-to-logos-5/ for all your options. I would recommend the Minimal Crossgrade as the best bang-for-your buck alternative that doesn't leave you feeling you've got a crippled program.

If the summary chart on that page is confusing to you, call and talk to a Sales rep for clarification, but don't let them pressure you into upgrading to a higher level base package. You can always do that later if you decide to down the road.

BTW, if you have created some Personal Books, you will need to back up the Word documents that were the source files for them, i.e., copy those to your new machine, as the built books currently do not get synced to the Logos cloud. You'll need to rebuild any PBs on your new machine.

Posts 38
Tim Bader | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 2:38 AM

Thanks Rosie,

That's great and reassuring.

I don't think I can afford the minimal crossgrade at the moment, but am hoping to do that later.

My main issue is just getting it onto the new machine.

Thanks for the heads up about the personal books too; I do have a few of them, thought thankfully they are already backed up!

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 3:33 PM

Tim Bader:

You can save downloading of resources if you use Method 3 to install on the new machine. You can also choose whether to use the Logos 4 engine or the free Logos 5 engine (choose the appropriate download link).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 38
Tim Bader | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2013 1:07 AM

Dave Hooton:

Tim Bader:

You can save downloading of resources if you use Method 3 to install on the new machine. You can also choose whether to use the Logos 4 engine or the free Logos 5 engine (choose the appropriate download link).

Thanks Dave,

You've hit the nail on the head.

I've successfully used method 2 before when I upgraded to Windows 7, but I wasn't sure in this case whether I could still do that and install Logos 5 at the same time.

- Perhaps I should have been clearer in my original post! Wink

So from what you've said, does that mean method 2 would not work with the Logos 5 installer, but method 3 would?

Sorry for all the questions!

Posts 6662
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2013 4:27 AM

Method two should also work.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 38
Tim Bader | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2013 4:42 AM

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS