Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 10:26 PM

Oooo, Nagaina!

I'm scared.  Sleep

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 6:41 AM

So, tell me David, exactly how many times did you edit this post? I saw three; I’m estimating five. It seems that while backing up your “pot shots” with actual argument does not rate high on your list of priorities, protecting your ego does indeed rate very highly, probably somewhere in the range of “1.a.” using your nomenclature above.  Wink

Bullies are fascinating creatures. They will take taunt, intimidate, and act imposing - however, as soon as someone squares up against them, suddenly they’re not interested, they’re busy, they don’t have the time, they find it boring. They want to go home. 

Which is as much to say that a bully veers between two vices, which are two extremes: cowardness (self-preservation) and rashness (self-aggrandizement.) But he is rarely able to muster genuine courage, the virtue between two vices. Mustering genuine courage, of course, is much harder.

See, there’s a lot you can learn from Aristotle beyond syllogisms.

Anyway, God Bless you sir.  Smile

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 7:48 AM

Now Mr Micawber. Surely you know the penchant to debate is self-defined by your hero. If you had simply chatted with the phoenician merchants and their west semitic imagery, you'd know the sea serpant rules.

Posts 8896
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:16 AM

I think that it may be time to remind us of the first three forum guidelines again. -

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:22 AM

Butters:

David Paul:

Having a debate about the syncretic influence of Greek philosophy on Christianity is not near the top of my to-do list...at best it is around #665 or perhaps #666. At present, I am working on #1g and trying to work my way back to #1a.

Sorry, perhaps another time.

To be honest, you wouldn't fair particularly well.  I've debated this topic many, many times with sophisticated opponents, and in many types of venues.

I can tell already by your few words that your knowledge is limited to that which you've absorbed from screeds written from an extreme Sola Scriptura perspective.  You will find yourself very quickly in over your head.  

Nevertheless, I would relish the chance to teach you.  So let me know if you ever find the time to learn.  

Smile

Butters:

If you have some blog posts or other resources re: Greek philosophy's influence on Christianity and the NT writings, I'd be interested in knowing this. You can message me, I think, or post it as a reply.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS