When Did God Create Hell?

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 202
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:10 AM

Interesting thought.  Since Sartre was born and died in Paris, perhaps he was talking about his neighbors.

Posts 235
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:48 AM

George Somsel:
I was thinking that he thought it was someplace rainy and damp like Amsterdam, but that may have been Camus.

Whaha, I'm from the Netherlands. Watch your words dear friend. Amsterdam might not be heaven, but until we get in heaven it is probably one of the better places to be :D

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:18 AM

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:

George Somsel:
I was thinking that he thought it was someplace rainy and damp like Amsterdam, but that may have been Camus.

Whaha, I'm from the Netherlands. Watch your words dear friend. Amsterdam might not be heaven, but until we get in heaven it is probably one of the better places to be :D

Not MY opinion.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10190
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 3:13 PM

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:
Amsterdam might not be heaven, but until we get in heaven it is probably one of the better places to be :D

Must have changed a lot since I was there in 1957 Geeked. Rotterdam, on the other hand, was a distinct pleasure to visit.

Mac Logs | PC Logs | Install 

Posts 1693
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:47 AM

Supertramp...I chose to REGARD this email as I would any brother sharing actual Biblical Truth - with appreciation and applause that God made it possible for you to know and share.

All Glory Be His - and just to keep this Logos focused too - God bless the Logos developers and any authors with resources about Hell that should get published in here.

Posts 1
Jack Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 9:38 PM

God did not create hell.  Hell is not a place but a state of being.  A state of being beyond the grace of God through our own actions.  This is not a physical state.

When Lucifer defied God, he fell out of grace.

When Adam and Eve disobeyed God, they also fell out of grace.  Through the sin of the first man, grace was withdrawn him and his descendants.

Until we repent, we will remain in this state.

What is this state of hell ???

Deprived of all the goods things God created in the 6 days of creation.  Not clear.  The grace and spirit of God was withdrawn from mankind.

Then God sent prophets and messages for mankind to return to the obedience of God.  Man was still stubborn.   Then God came down in the form of Jesus to establish obedience and trust in God.  Grace was restored.

But has man repented and accepted this grace???  There are still those who chose to stay in hell.

Can you imagine the pain Jesus suffered physically??  Can you imagine the pain Mary suffered emotionally?  All in submission and obedience to God.

The Bible, the quran and 3 billion christians and muslims will testify that Jesus and Mary are sinless.   The Bible, the quran and 3 billion Christians and muslims will testify that Jesus was raised to heaven body and soul, is alive today and will come again to defeat sin.

Hell is a state in God where his grace is absent.   Just like the desert is part of the earth that is barren.  You know how to get there.   You also know how to get to better places.  You chose.   God has given you guidance through the centuries.

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 9:43 PM

JoshInRI:
God bless the Logos developers and any authors with resources about Hell that should get published in here.

Noel — or should that be "no hell"?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1700
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 11:22 PM

Is hell a "place" inside or outside of space and time? If outside (what I believe) then asking "when" is quite irrelevant.

--
Jan Krohn -- Returning back to Germany after 5 years of Mission Work in Cambodia. Starting Next Now...
www.heidoc.net -- Vyrso Freebies Newsletter -- Bible Apps -- Secret Microsoft Downloads

Posts 4440
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 11:42 PM

Jack Adams:
When Adam and Eve disobeyed God, they also fell out of grace.  Through the sin of the first man, grace was withdrawn him and his descendants.

Rubbish of the first order--'Aadhaam & Hhawwaah RECEIVED GRACE when they disobeyed. YHWH provided them covering. I could flesh this out, of course, but then folks would jump in and remind us that this forum is not for hashing out doctrine.

Posts 24031
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 28 2016 11:55 PM

Jack Adams:
God did not create hell. 

Welcome to the forums which are for discussing Faithlife software and resources. They have provided christiandiscourse.com for the discussion of theology. See the Forum Guidelines

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5181
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 3:11 AM

Jack Adams:

God did not create hell.  Hell is not a place but a state of being.  A state of being beyond the grace of God through our own actions.  This is not a physical state.

When Lucifer defied God, he fell out of grace.

Until we repent, we will remain in this state.

What is this state of hell ???

Deprived of all the goods things God created in the 6 days of creation.  Not clear.  The grace and spirit of God was withdrawn from mankind.

Then God sent prophets and messages for mankind to return to the obedience of God.  Man was still stubborn.   Then God came down in the form of Jesus to establish obedience and trust in God.  Grace was restored.

But has man repented and accepted this grace???  There are still those who chose to stay in hell.

Can you imagine the pain Jesus suffered physically??  Can you imagine the pain Mary suffered emotionally?  All in submission and obedience to God.

The Bible, the quran and 3 billion christians and muslims will testify that Jesus and Mary are sinless.   The Bible, the quran and 3 billion Christians and muslims will testify that Jesus was raised to heaven body and soul, is alive today and will come again to defeat sin.

Hell is a state in God where his grace is absent.   Just like the desert is part of the earth that is barren.  You know how to get there.   You also know how to get to better places.  You chose.   God has given you guidance through the centuries.

Uh...Ok?

Posts 2709
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 3:23 AM

Mark Barnes:

Joshua Lieder:
Perhaps - "Only God Almighty knows" will be enough.

The emphasis throughout Scripture, and in the resources I read whilst researching your question, was that Hell was prepared for the devil and his angels, rather than for people. I think that's good to remember. It may also suggest that hell was created after the fall of Satan, but before the fall of man. I don't think we can say any more than that.

Mark,

makes a good point here and actually has Scriptual backing- but it does not give us all the info our curious little minds want- so this is one of those in the end it will not matter situations, except maybe to those who find themselves there, not a good thing.

Posts 1456
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:10 AM

Old thread, but fun topic. I'll add my two cents.

We first need to define the English word "hell". It is used to translate a multitude of Greek and Hebrew words - especially in the KJV. The context of the original question makes me believe that the eternal "Lake of Fire" mentioned in the book of Revelation is the place of concern in this thread.

We, also, need to ask if the question is valid. Even if the Lake of Fire, as depicted in the book of Revelation, is a literal place, how do we know it is currently a created place? Perhaps God has not created it yet. The text seems to imply that the first inhabitants of the Lake of Fire are the False Prophet and the Beast (it is only afterward that death and Hades along with those not found in the Book of Life are judged and thrown in). Many people hold that no human or angel is currently in the Lake of Fire. As such, the Lake of Fire does not need to exist currently. But for fun, let's assume it currently exists.

And lastly, I think it is safe to assume that if this place exists (or will exist), it is physical since physical resurrected bodies will be thrown in. I found this comment in Henry Morris' "The Revelation Record" (p. 432) commentary quite interesting:

"All of these specifications seem to point to the likelihood (though we cannot be certain at this time) that “hell” (Greek gehenna), or “the lake of fire,” will be located on some far-distant star. A star, after all, is precisely that, a lake of fire. There are indeed, stars and galaxies that, although “burning,” do not give off light in the visible part of the spectrum, so that they consist of both “fire” and “cloudy darkness.” One might even suggest a “black hole,” if and when such objects are actually proven to exist, would fit the description."

If this is true, then the Lake of Fire was likely created on day four of Creation.

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 8:52 AM

Josh:
We first need to define the English word "hell". It is used to translate a multitude of Greek and Hebrew words - especially in the KJV. The context of the original question makes me believe that the eternal "Lake of Fire" mentioned in the book of Revelation is the place of concern in this thread.

Not to say that you are understanding this literally, but care must be taken to avoid taking almost any of the pictures in the Apocalypse as literal physical facts.  The author clearly states that the message was symbolized (ἑσήμανεν > σημαίνω) so that one must look beyond the symbol to that which is signified.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1456
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2016 9:02 AM

George Somsel:

Not to say that you are understanding this literally, but care must be taken to avoid taking almost any of the pictures in the Apocalypse as literal physical facts.  The author clearly states that the message was symbolized (ἑσήμανεν > σημαίνω) so that one must look beyond the symbol to that which is signified.

Oh, George...have some fun! Be a futurist for a day or two! Smile 

Posts 1693
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 3 2016 6:37 PM

...I just found this again tonight and am very humbled and made happy as well by the various responses in here.  I am also very careful to ask that people use LOGOS resources and searches in their replies/links.

Posts 1
Teresa Riordan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 1 2017 2:01 PM

God is omnipresent and is present in Hell 

Posts 3863
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 1 2017 6:27 PM

I understand this is an old thread, and has been resurrected a few times (though to be fair resurected may not be the right word since that is used only of Christ).

However my thinking is that if God made hell - as seems likely from John 1:1ff In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Then God made hell whenever he wanted to. Could have been before, during or after creation. It could be something in a constant state of creation (after all the worms never die, some regeneration would be necessary no?).

All I know is this: Oh, my brothers and sisters in Christ, if sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to hell over our bodies; and if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay, and not madly to destroy themselves.

C. H. Spurgeon, “The Wailing of Risca,” in The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit Sermons, vol. 7 (London: Passmore & Alabaster, 1861), 11.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2016), Jn 1:1–3.

Both of which I found using Logos.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum (etc),  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Silver

Posts 1693
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 1 2017 6:35 PM

abondservant...your post rocks...thanks.  I enjoyed revisiting all the other responses again too.

Posts 189
LMAM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 2 2017 12:47 PM

I'd like to take a moment to say that I'm so encouraged by the humility and respect on display in this forum post (barring one or two). It is very refreshing and, sadly, sorely needed on many a Christian forum.

JoshInRI:

God bless those with divergent theological views in this matter, but I am asking please for replies that do not mention purgatory.  Thanks.

Respectfully,
Joshua

All the best to you in your quest for knowing. May the LORD lead you into all wisdom.

Blessings, Liam

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS