New Internet sales tax-online purchases

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 25 2013 9:10 AM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

The Senate approved a long-anticipated Internet sales tax proposal on Monday, moving the legislation one step closer to enactment and paving the way for shoppers to pay sales tax on the majority of online purchases.

Will this affect Logos' products? Some internet merchants already charge sales tax and some do not.

Posts 9147
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:20 AM

Welcome to the forums Kent and thanks for the news. It is always a pain to pay more tax but governments around the world are trying to look at ways to generate more revenue.

Does anyone know how this might impact those who live outside of the US like me?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:20 AM

Welcome to the forums!

Kent:
Will this affect Logos' products?

If it goes through, I believe that it would effect Logos.

Kent:
Some internet merchants already charge sales tax and some do not.

Typically, if a company has a physical presence in the state, they charge sales tax in that state. I believe that Logos already charges sales tax for residents of Washington State.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 37
Nina Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:23 AM

EDIT: Matthew here. I was doing account maintenance for Nina. I posted twice in this thread inadvertently signed in as Nina.  SORRY!

Kent:

I don't know the specifics about what the Senate has passed but I would guess "Yes." 

If it does result in an added cost to my Logos purchases it will mean more money goes to bloated government and less to Logos. I only have a finite amount to spend and it seems Logos already gets all I can afford.

I predict we will see a Federal sales tax on the internet after they get the collection mechanism into place. Look for 10% or more of your book budget to evaporate,

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:26 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Does anyone know how this might impact those who live outside of the US like me?

The proposal only affects people domiciled in the US. The EU has already mandated that all companies, anywhere in the world should charge EU citizens sales tax, but they have no authority to collect that tax unless the company has a physical presence within the EU. Logos, thankfully, does not.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:31 AM

Kent:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

I live in the US outside the State of Washington.  All of my purchases from Logos have sales tax applied today, and have always had sales tax applied since I became a Logos user a year and a half ago.

Posts 37
Nina Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:38 AM

EDIT: Matthew here. I was doing account maintenance for Nina. I posted twice in this thread inadvertently signed in as Nina.  SORRY!

alabama24:
Typically, if a company has a physical presence in the state, they charge sales tax in that state. I believe that Logos already charges sales tax for residents of Washington State.

I believe Logos already collects sales tax for several states they do not have a presence in. The Federal measure would apply to all states, whether or not Logos has a physical presence in each. It depends on how the measure is written on whether or not a foreign-based purchase will be subject to tax. If they view the sale as taking place in Washington state, tax will apply. If they view the sale as taking place at the Buyer's locale, tax should not apply.

I guess there is not enough tax revenue to continue funding Robo-Squirrel.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:44 AM

Nina Jones:
I guess there is not enough tax revenue to continue funding Robo-Squirrel.

WoW! What a comment from my normally passive wife. Big Smile

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:48 AM

Nina Matthew Jones:
I believe Logos already collects sales tax for several states they do not have a presence in.

A physical presence can include something as simple as a sales representative. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:53 AM

Steve:

Kent:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

I live in the US outside the State of Washington.  All of my purchases from Logos have sales tax applied today, and have always had sales tax applied since I became a Logos user a year and a half ago.

Here in NJ I I have not experienced tax on Logos purchases, however, I did notice that a tax could be applied to some Vyrso purchases (and that is not consistent). Upon a little investigations, I determined that there is a tax for Zondervan purchases, but not on other publishers within Vyrso.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 10:24 AM

alabama24:

Nina Matthew Jones:
I believe Logos already collects sales tax for several states they do not have a presence in.

A physical presence can include something as simple as a sales representative. 

Yes, I know that. But I do believe there are a handful of states that tax internet sales regardless of presence. I could be wrong but that is my impression.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1735
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 12:28 PM

Also keep in mind that the different US states have different rules on what is taxable. Some tax software, some don't. I suspect that some also don't tax books, while most do. Here's one to ponder:  are Logos resources software or books?

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 12:37 PM

The new federal tax won't apply to individual states. It will be a federal tax on top of what the states charge.

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 12:43 PM

Kent:
The new federal tax won't apply to individual states. It will be a federal tax on top of what the states charge.

That's not what I'm reading. It simply mandates that out-of-state businesses must collect state and local taxes, and instate businesses already have to. States and other jurisdictions still determine their own tax rate, and the federal government adds nothing to that.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 8:12 PM

Mark Barnes:
It simply mandates that out-of-state businesses must collect state and local taxes, and instate businesses already have to. States and other jurisdictions still determine their own tax rate, and the federal government adds nothing to that.
FYI... we agree here ;-)

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 8:25 PM

I'm in Georgia and I don't believe I have paid any sales tax on Logos purchases made online. I initially bought the software at a conference in Texas and had to pay sales tax then. 

Posts 579
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 10:06 PM

I'm in California. Logos used to collect sales tax when the purchases were on disc, but does not collect it on digital downloads. California's sales tax applies to "tangible" property. I believe digital downloads would be considered "intangible" property so there is no sales tax. I don't know if other states have the same rules.

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 4:56 AM

tom:
FYI... we agree here ;-)

Big Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 6:42 AM

I suggest that we cut the size of government by 10% and drop the sales tax.  As Regan said, "Government is the problem."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1735
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 7:36 AM

George Somsel:
As Regan said, "Government is the problem."

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it" - Ronaldus Magnus on his opponents' philosophy

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS