Non-dispensational theology

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 560
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 9:48 AM

Kevin Maples:

Randall Cue:
Logos has available Dr. Robert Culver's systematic theology.
Here is the link: http://www.logos.com/product/4171/systematic-theology-biblical-and-historical 

Kevin, thanks for adding the link. I forgot to put it in.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 10:07 AM

Evan Boardman:

Kent:

Christopher- I was under the impression (having no real first hand knowledge) that Hodge was a dispensationalist.

Kent you may be confused with Zane Hodge. One Hodge is good, the other dodge.

It's actually Zane Hodges, not Hodge.

Posts 70
Christopher Engelsma | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 11:29 AM

Isn't Thomas Oden the one who claims he is "dedicated to unoriginality" ?    :)

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 12:32 PM

Randall Cue:
Kevin, thanks for adding the link.
No problem. I'm a newbie, so a link is about as much technical help as I can offer you. Smile

Posts 117
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 3:18 PM

Grudem and Berkhof as well as Ladd (as mentioned previously.)

Erickson http://www.logos.com/product/3620/christian-theology-2nd-ed

Horton http://www.logos.com/product/26683/the-christian-faith-a-systematic-theology-for-pilgrims-on-the-way

I find all of these very helpful.

Posts 2816
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 3:48 PM

Joseph Turner:

I recently bought George Ladd's A Theology of the New Testament

Yes  Ladd is one of my personal favorites.  He is non-dispensational, but yet premillennial in his eschatology.  That's an interesting combination. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 7:43 PM

Psalm 29:11                               To me one of the absolute greatest of all the Systematic Theologies is:    https://www.logos.com/product/21079/christian-dogmatics

Good Stuff!    Solid!     Heavy!        Complete!         Conservative Lutheran!          Scholarly!            4 volumes!          I'm a bit prejudiced in favour of these volumes because 1. It is from my denomination.  2. This was one of my textbooks in the 1950's and early 60's.

(If anyone wishes any samples of any subject, please post your request on this thread, and I will accommodate your needs!)      *smile* 

(Also, you may want to take the "peek inside" tour and gain some insights as to what theology is all about.     I find that Pieper quite adequately explains and uses the standard technical theological Latin phrases.)

Christian Dogmatics

by Francis Pieper

Concordia Publishing House 1953

Runs on Windows, Mac and mobile. Two ways to pay
$21.99 CAD/mo or $134.29 CAD (129.00 USD)*
  Christian Dogmatics See inside

Overview

This is a translation of Christliche Dogmatik with an index arranged by subject matter, author, and Bible reference. The set includes three volumes plus a comprehensive index.

Volume one addresses the nature and character of theology, Holy Scripture, the doctrine of God, creation, divine providence, angelology, the doctrine of man, sin and evil, and more. Volume two addresses the saving grace of God; the doctrine of Christ; his deity, humanity, attributes, humiliation, exaltation, and offices; and the application of salvation, saving faith, conversion, and justification by faith. Volume three addresses sanctification, good works, the Christian life, the means of grace, Law and Gospel, Baptism, the Lord’s Supper, the Christian church, the public ministry, eternal election, and eschatology.

In the Logos edition of Christian Dogmatics, you get easy access to Scripture texts and to a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Hovering over Scripture references links you instantly to the verse you’re looking for, and with Passage Guides, Word Studies, and a wealth of other tools from Logos, you can delve into God’s Word like never before!

Key Features

• Prefaces by the author
  • Forewords by the Synodical Centennial Committee, John Theodore Mueller, and Walter W. F. Albrecht

Product Details

• Title: Christian Dogmatics
  • Author: Francis Pieper
  • Publisher: Concordia
  • Publication Date: 1934
  • Volumes: 3
  • Pages: 665

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 6063
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 8:32 PM

Mark Barnes:

Kent:

Does anyone know of a good non-dispensationalism systematic theology resource? Maybe commentaries also?

There are dozens available in Logos. The best (in my opinion) is Wayne Grudem's

As mentioned by Mark and others, Grudem's Systematic Theology is great (especially at $3.99 when I purchased it -- yes 3bucks and 99cents).  Another one that I find useful is Jack Cottrell's The Faith Once For All: Bible Doctrine for Today (which was given to me for free) I find myself referring to these two very often and I supplement it with others for the sake of learning different views.  But if I had to choose two I'd go with Grudem and Cottrell.

DAL

Posts 1
Dennis Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2019 10:36 PM

Can some one explain to me what non-dispensationalism is? I believe John Darby made up some stuff, that is taught in church on a regular basis. I understand what a "dispensation" is. I think the rapture was invented by Darby. Could some one explain? Thank you.

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2019 11:20 PM

Dennis Martin:
I believe John Darby made up some stuff, that is taught in church on a regular basis. I understand what a "dispensation" is. I think the rapture was invented by Darby.

Darby did not "make up" the rapture, he popularized it. From Wikipedia: "Pre-tribulation rapture theology originated in the eighteenth century, with the Puritan preachers Increase and Cotton Mather, and was popularized extensively in the 1830s by John Nelson Darby and the Plymouth Brethren, and further in the United States by the wide circulation of the Scofield Reference Bible in the early 20th century."

I welcome you to the forums, but am uncertain it you understand the purpose and guidelines. In addition to your statements being factually incorrect, it is inappropriate to use such derogatory language as it is offensive to Plymouth Brethren and their descendents. As per the first three guidelines for the forums:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.

Here is a discussion of the subject on non-dispensational in an appropriate forum: https://onlinebaptist.com/forums/topic/3891-what-is-non-dispensational/

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2988
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 5:50 AM

This may have been included, but Cottrell is Arminian if that makes any difference at all.

I was searching for Cottrell in L8 and wanted to find out more about him and his theology and came across an article that mention his Arminianeth. 

Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society, Vol 18, No. 35, Pg 97. 

mm.

mm.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS