Encyclopaedia of Judaism and Jewish Law (4 Vols.)...Trying to decide on Portfolio upgrade

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 14 2009 7:43 AM

For those of you who own these titles, how useful are these?  How often do you go to these resources for your sermon/Sunday School prep or for just plain satisfying your curiosity?  I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade from Platinum to Portfolio.  I already own a good number of the titles in Portfolio.  I had thought of getting at least the Encyclopedia in the past but held off for a deal--but I've done pretty well without because I own all the JPS stuff.  I thought when Jewish Law was offered in PrePub it would be nice to have but not absolutely necessary.  In the past, I've also thought about purchasing ISBE and Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible. As far as ISBE, I already own Anchor Bible Dictionary and Baker's Encyclopedia so I think I've done pretty well without ISBE.  That leaves Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible which is really the only title in the Portfolio upgrade that I've often considered purchasing but thought it was too expensive.  (How is that resource by the way?)  I don't read greek or hebrew. BUT after having watched all the L4 videos produced by you power users, I now really want HALOT AND Liddell and Scott...crazy huh?  And to think all this started with my first purchase of William Barclay's Daily Study Bible Series on floppies!  Harumph!  But I have gone--in three years time--from an uninvolved church member to Worship leader, to Sunday School teacher, and now a Sunday School teacher trainer having turned out over 12 well equipped SS teachers in two years (using Getting to Know Jesus curriculum)...simply because of my ability and facility in explaining the Scriptures and being able to quickly and HAPPILY find answers and alternative answers to people's questions...all because of my new interest and love for the WORD spurred on by Logos Software. Alas!  Logos has become for me an obsession as I see it has for some of you in this forum...Big Smile  I'm holding off on the upgrade because there other titles higher up on my perceived list of priorities that I'd rather get like Tyndale Old and New Testament Commentaries...or an engagement ring!  Stick out tongue

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 8:07 AM

Alas!  Logos has become for me an obsession as I see it has for some of you in this forum.

You're right. Obsessed is the right word! I have to be careful not to let me desire to "own all the books" is greater than my desire to actually study the bible!

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 8:34 AM

How many books can one actually read?  These days I find that I can pick ANY commentary and God speaks to me through whatever book or commentary I pick up!  And when I do pick up the Bible...imagine that....picking up the Bible...or clicking onto it rather (It sounds like such a chore doesn't it?  Wink)...Hours of meditation on one verse involving self-examination, asking, "Is that really me LORD who is hurting you so and to that degree?"  So it has been a good thing that the longer I use Logos the less time I actually spend using it because I'm more immersed in the WORD.  But when I do go to Logos it satisfies my curiosity or blandness/dryness of my walk quickly and springboards me to another oasis with the LORD.  (I actually have not experienced ANY dry periods since having purchased..and USING Logos by the way...)  If I'm spending less time with Logos, then why do I want to upgrade AND get more resources?....BECAUSE ITS A DEAL!!!  Super Angry

Posts 19350
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 6:20 PM

JonelyMoy:

How many books can one actually read?  These days I find that I can pick ANY commentary and God speaks to me through whatever book or commentary I pick up!  And when I do pick up the Bible....Hours of meditation on one verse involving self-examination, asking, "Is that really me LORD who is hurting you so and to that degree?"  So it has been a good thing that the longer I use Logos the less time I actually spend using it because I'm more immersed in the WORD.  But when I do go to Logos it satisfies my curiosity or blandness/dryness of my walk quickly and springboards me to another oasis with the LORD.  (I actually have not experienced ANY dry periods since having purchased..and USING Logos by the way...)

That is a wonderful testimony, Jonely! Did you know your name anagrams to "Me, only joy!" Sounds very appropriate for you in your immersion in the WORD.

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:23 PM

Thanks Rosie!

That's the first time anyone took the time out to do an anagram of my name.  I really needed that pointed out to me since my Church is going through some real ugliness right now.  How can such "holy" people (self-proclaimed btw including the Pastor and Deacons) do such meanness to each other...and boldly do them in the name of God no less...is beyond me!  But thanks!  I wasn't expecting your anagram reminder that in whatever ugliness I face, I must immerse myself only in the Joy of the LORD--never mind what other people do or do not do...Or do to me.  Thanks.  I needed that.  I think I shall be able to sleep tonight!...Yes, I haven't been sleeping well for the past four months because of my Church.

Posts 19350
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:53 PM

JonelyMoy:

That's the first time anyone took the time out to do an anagram of my name. 

Doing anagrams is an avid hobby of mine which I waste time at when I'm not wasting time on the Logos forum. ;-)  Actually, I do it so much that I can't help seeing things like the word "joy" jump out when I look at your name. So I just had to figure out what to do with the rest of the letters, and that wasn't too hard.

JonelyMoy:

How can such "holy" people (self-proclaimed btw including the Pastor and Deacons) do such meanness to each other...and boldly do them in the name of God no less...is beyond me!

Probably the very fact that they are "self-proclaimed" holy people is the problem. Truly holy people are humble about it, and are acutely aware of their sinfulness.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:13 PM

don't anagram my last name.  what a great name for a preacher, eh?  DEVILder.  Or in German: "Der Teufel."  Yikes.

My wife was the daughter of a plumber with the last name "Leek" . . . she traded one oddity for another.

As for the Jewish Law stuff, no answer.  I am not a Port owner, just Plat.  But I have wondered about it. . . There are several titles in portfolio that interest me and they equal about what I would be charged at the discount rate I qualify for . . . but I would also get SO MUCH MORE (would I use it?).  However, few of them are really "i need it" titles.  I have some eagerly awaited pre-pubs, too.  But all of that is taking a back seat to figuring out pending financial chaos.  Surprise

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19350
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:56 PM

Daniel DeVilder:

don't anagram my last name.  what a great name for a preacher, eh?  DEVILder.  Or in German: "Der Teufel."  Yikes.

An even better name for a preacher: There was a Reverend Heaven who donated his entire extensive collection of Anglican theology books to the library of my seminary. It's called the Heaven Collection.

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 11:27 PM

As for the Jewish Law stuff, no answer.  I am not a Port owner, just Plat.  But I have wondered about it. . . There are several titles in portfolio that interest me and they equal about what I would be charged at the discount rate I qualify for . . . but I would also get SO MUCH MORE (would I use it?).  However, few of them are really "i need it" titles.  I have some eagerly awaited pre-pubs, too.  But all of that is taking a back seat to figuring out pending financial chaos.  Surprise

I'm in the same boat as you.  The "must have" titles in Portfolio, like ALL the commentaries and commentary-like books I already own through PrePub.  For some reason, I want to justify having the Encyclopedia of Judaism and Jewish Law because my Portfolio upgrade price is roughly equal to buying those two titles "a la carte"...and the rest of the titles I get "for free", eg, ISBE, Dictionary of Demons, the ancient language stuff, and let's not forget the Urgaritic Library...Can you believe that after having read "What's Urgaritic Got to Do With Anything?" and watching the demo videos including "Urgaritic for Laypeople", I now really believe I need the Urgaritic Library?  (...And I get 12 volumes!!!Super Angry and I also get HALOT that works together with it to complete the set!Super Angry)  And then there is also the tagging to references to the Dictionary of Demons and Deities...And... 

But, as you said, the big question is:  Will I use it/them? 

There are so many "must have" titles that I have already bought though PrePub or through prior upgrades and Library Builders AND a la carte unlocks that I have yet to open up--let alone read...What is the end-point?

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 11:48 PM

JonelyMoy:
...What is the end-point?

Contrary to popular assertion, i do think that Logos Library is the one thing we can take to heaven . . . and we will have time to read it all up there (of course, we COULD just go straight to "the Source," too . . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 12:09 AM

Are you telling me to go for the Portfolio upgrade?  Wink

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 6:43 AM

I think understanding Jewish perspectives on law would give considerable insight into Jesus' teaching and also on his comments and debates with the Scribes, Lawyers and other religious authorities of the day.  It would also put to rest the misunderstanding that has arisen over time that Jewish law, both written and oral, are somehow mutually exclusive from Grace as we understand it as Christians.

Without understanding this perspective, passages such as Mat 5.17 and his teaching that we should obey the Rabbis because they "sit in the seat of Moses," are problematic.

For me, exploring these Jewish perspectives has really broadened my understanding and given depth to my investigation into such questions as who is Israel, who is a Jew, what is legalism, what is the New Covenant.  The answers to which I have found to be quite influential on one's hermeneutical thought.

I'm glad to see that Logos has gradually built up its resources from Jewish writers who can bring this rich perspective to us believers with a Gentile background.

I hope this helps.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 6:54 AM

I agree totally Tony, in fact there are quite a few excellent resources on Jewish law, culture, and religion if for example you look here:

http://www.logos.com/search?q=jewish

I have been building my library as well in this area...

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 12:46 PM

and I stumble upon this thread just having convinced myself I didn't need to get this collection. And guess what, I now want to go back and put an order in. I'm finding Logos to be a real struggle Smile

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 12:55 PM

Michael Brown's "Answering Jewish Objections", David Stern's Commentaries and the JPS publications have been really useful works.  Particularly in seeing the different translations of similar passages which can lead to quite different conclusions as to the meaning of a passage.

Have you found much on Jewish idioms and slang used by Jesus in the Gospels?  The work of Bivin and Blizzard has been a useful tool in this area:  http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Difficult-Words-Jesus-Perspective/dp/156043550X.

With Logos it is far too easy to collect everything and spend too little time actually reading everything I've already got.  

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 1:06 PM

Chris

You're in for a treat!  One of the first things I discovered was how carefully Jewish scholars read a passage.  I quickly realized that I have a horribly bad habit of slipping into skim reading mode and coming out the other side with an incorrect understanding of the meaning.

Another useful book ,that isn't on Logos yet, has been Athol Dickson's  is the Gospel According to Moses:  http://www.christianbook.com/gospel-according-jewish-friends-taught-jesus/athol-dickson/9781587430480/pd/30481.   I don't know about you but I've often put aside problematic passages just to avoid the dissonance they cause.  Putting them aside in the misguided notion of avoiding futile argument.  The attitudes of careful and critical thinking and "wrestling" with God over his paradoxes has galvanised me into a deeper exploration. Mr Dickson is one sharp iron and he's done a lot to sharpen me up.

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 1:30 PM

Actually, decided pre-pub The Jewish Encyclopedia (12 Vols.)to be the chosen option.

(posted from iPhone)

Posts 23
Aaron | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:58 AM

I can relate.

Posts 23
Aaron | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:59 AM

RogerKing:

Alas!  Logos has become for me an obsession as I see it has for some of you in this forum.

You're right. Obsessed is the right word! I have to be careful not to let me desire to "own all the books" is greater than my desire to actually study the bible!

I can relate

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 10:04 PM

lostlogik:

Actually, decided pre-pub The Jewish Encyclopedia (12 Vols.)to be the chosen option.

(posted from iPhone)

Can you give me a comparison of these two titles?  Are they complimentary enough to justify having both? Or are they redundant enough to fore go the 12 volume set?

The Jewish Encyclopedia (12 vols.)  http://www.logos.com/product/5946/the-jewish-encyclopedia
Currently on Pre-Pub

The Encyclopaedia of Judaism (5 vols.)  http://www.logos.com/product/2214/the-encyclopaedia-of-judaism
Included in the Portfolio Edition (I do have this)

Thanks!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS