Closing Friday: Classic Studies on the Apostolic Fathers (29 vols.)

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 1 2013 7:19 AM

Classic Studies on the Apostolic Fathers (29 vols.)  $25 seems possible with an effort.

Also The Complete Works of Thomas Manton (22 vols.), but I believe I've seen another thread about that one.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8896
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 7:27 AM

I'm in for both. The challenge is to get more people interested enough to place their bids.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1138
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 7:31 AM

I'm in for both as well!

Does anyone know if Classic Studies of the Apostolic Fathers includes translations of the works of the fathers that they are commenting on? I imagine several in this set must, but wasn't absolutely sure.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:20 AM

Me three - I'm in on both too. Would be nice to save $10 across both sets if they can creep down in price a little.

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 12:01 PM

Liam Walsh:
Does anyone know if Classic Studies of the Apostolic Fathers includes translations of the works of the fathers that they are commenting on? I imagine several in this set must, but wasn't absolutely sure.

It looks like this set includes translations of some of them - I know of Ignatius and Polycarp (and there is a tagged PB version available at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/66338.aspx

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2013 1:38 PM

Bump.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2013 3:06 PM

I have been in for Manton from the beginning. I'm also in for the other one. Coffee

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8896
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 5:51 PM

Bump (hoping that some of you may respond) Idea

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:23 AM

I am in.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:36 AM

I'm in.  With just a few more bidders we can get this down to $25. 

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 12:03 PM

The Manton collection is edging closer to $35...

Posts 8896
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:57 AM

Time is running out to bid.

To me it doesn't look like the Apostolic Fathers will make it to $25 but Manton is close to making it to $35 if people jump on board.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:27 AM

Bruce Dunning:
To me it doesn't look like the Apostolic Fathers will make it to $25
We still have a week, dear friend. Have faith! Smile I'm in. 

Posts 95
Rick Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:58 AM

Liam Walsh:

Liam —

Lightfoot's 5 vol in this set not only has Greek & English for 1&2 Clement, Ignatius' letters, Polycarp, Martyrdom of Polycarp; it also has original text and translation of several related materials. Lightfoot was exhaustive in his research, and these vols show it. For example; in the 4th century (I think?), there was this work related to Polycarp called "Life of Polycarp" claimed to be written by one gent named Pionius. Well, it's related to Polycarp. It's 20-some chapters, as I recall. Lightfoot has the Greek as well as a translation. The only place you'll ever find it. There are scads of other things like this frittered about through his 5 vol magnum opus.

Honestly, I paid well over $100 for used copies of these 5 vols (which take up probably close to a foot of shelf space), ordered from the UK, probably 10 years ago. I love them and use them, but once this CP thing becomes reality, I will probably never crack them open again. They are a steal at $50. I'm flabbergasted that $30 is the price, that $25 is possible — and that 24 other books come along for the ride.

Rick Brannan | Twitter: @RickBrannan
my books in print

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 6:03 AM

Rick Brannan:
They are a steal at $50. I'm flabbergasted that $30 is the price, that $25 is possible — and that 24 other books come along for the ride.

Yes Big Smile

Folks, Rick is right. It is a steal. Get in before it's too late!

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 6:10 AM

Kevin Maples:
We still have a week

How did that happen? It's supposed to close tomorrow!

Thanks for chiming in, Rick.

Rick Brannan:
The only place you'll ever find it.

You're saying it's not even in the Patrologia?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 6:24 AM

fgh:
How did that happen? It's supposed to close tomorrow!

Here is what I am seeing:

Is tomorrow the 14th? Or are we looking at different books?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 6:43 AM

I saw the same, but it's not what used to be there, nor what's in the e-mail:

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 6:52 AM

So they have given us an extra week to raise awareness!

Posts 95
Rick Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 7:12 AM

fgh:

Rick Brannan:
The only place you'll ever find it.

You're saying it's not even in the Patrologia?

I have no idea. But Lightfoot is much more accessible than PG. Lightfoot also translates it into English.

Rick Brannan | Twitter: @RickBrannan
my books in print

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS