Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics

Page 3 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 4:35 PM

Do You think the individual volumes will cost more or less than ¢15 a page?:

Unix:
When the bundle is broken up, I wonder if individual Gk volumes would cost more or less than ¢15 a page? What do You think?

Adam Rao, doing the maths, You are saying that those three books should cost ¢5½ a page (512+448+864 pages)?:

Adam Rao:
I want the Mounce textbook, the Pratico-Van Pelt textbook, and Wallace's intermediate Greek grammar.
[...]
Honestly, I should be able to get those three books for $100 or less. If not, I'll just keep using my paper copies.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 5:43 PM

Super Tramp:
How come the "Upgrade" is being processed through Checkout instead of Pre-pub Quick Buy? Is the upgrade ready to download or are we paying in advance for a Pre-Pub? When is this expected to ship? When does my card get charged? Anyone know? I've got other Pre-Pubs in the pipeline and need to know.

I figured it all out everyone. The checkout is only the long version of the Pre-Pub order process. I always use Quick Buy so it looked different to me. If you order it you still have to wait on the ship date and your card is not charged until it ships. 

New thought: I have one good reason it might serve some well to order this "redundant content" bundle. Different students will have different results when using different learning materials. I myself have attempted to learn Hebrew 3x now with varying degrees of failure. Some of my homeschooled children will flourish with one text and struggle with another. If one does not work well I can try a different text and often overcome whatever issue they had with the subject. Depending on the pedagogical views of the texts in this bundle just about anyone should be able to get a handle on their target language. It is still cheaper than that "Rosetta Rock" software.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 5:49 PM

Has anything been said regarding how the audio & workbooks will be integrated within Logos? Will we just receive a bunch of mp3s, or will it go beyond that? 

Also, what will doing excercises in the workbooks look like?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 5:57 PM

Mathew Voth:

Has anything been said regarding how the audio & workbooks will be integrated within Logos? Will we just receive a bunch of mp3s, or will it go beyond that? 

Also, what will doing excercises in the workbooks look like?

Maybe we can get a demo video of how it works. I'd be fine with printable pages and use it the old-fashioned way. I will e-mail Logos and try and get an answer.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 10:15 PM

Unix:

Adam Rao:
I want the Mounce textbook, the Pratico-Van Pelt textbook, and Wallace's intermediate Greek grammar.
[...]
Honestly, I should be able to get those three books for $100 or less. If not, I'll just keep using my paper copies.

Adam Rao, doing the maths, You are saying that those three books should cost ¢5½ a page (512+448+864 pages)?:

I think he is using the price of the hard copy as a basis. The books can often be bought at a discount.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 10:39 PM

Super Tramp:

New thought: I have one good reason it might serve some well to order this "redundant content" bundle. Different students will have different results when using different learning materials. I myself have attempted to learn Hebrew 3x now with varying degrees of failure. Some of my homeschooled children will flourish with one text and struggle with another. If one does not work well I can try a different text and often overcome whatever issue they had with the subject. Depending on the pedagogical views of the texts in this bundle just about anyone should be able to get a handle on their target language. It is still cheaper than that "Rosetta Rock" software.

This bundle would be perfect for someone who:

(1) needs texts on Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic;

(2) is learning the languages (many of the texts are introductory level);

(3) needs these Zondervan texts for all three languages.

That's a whole boatload of assumptions. On the other hand, I can think of many people in different situations who would only need a few of these works. That's why these works were authored, published and sold separately in the first place. Unfortunately, they are not being sold at this granularity now.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 7:01 AM

Lee:

Unix:

Adam Rao:
[...]

I think he is using the price of the hard copy as a basis. The books can often be bought at a discount.

Exactly. I paid $31 for Mounce, $29 for Pratico-Van Pelt, and $27 for Wallace = $87.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:10 AM

Lee:

This bundle would be perfect for someone who:

(1) needs texts on Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic;

(2) is learning the languages (many of the texts are introductory level);

(3) needs these Zondervan texts for all three languages.

That's a whole boatload of assumptions.

They are not far-fetched assumptions. I've heard the new trend is for doctoral candidates to have two foreign languages in addition to any classical languages. Multilingualism is very common among the higher educated. Familiarity with these languages is achieved with introductory texts like these. Fluency comes with further study.

This collection includes some of the most acclaimed texts in print. If your professor is not teaching from one of them, I'm sorry. And even if your education is limited to one pedagogical approach, you can bet your Greek professor is well versed in multiple texts. Aspire to surpass your teacher. 

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:29 AM

I'm not sure many institutions subscribe to an all Zondervan approach, especially when it comes to introductory texts. Personally, I don't see why I should be sorry if I had to learn from a textbook other than Mounce or Pratico. There are plenty of good alternatives. In fact, I am of the view that BBG-3e has some drawbacks compared to BBG-2e. But that's just me.

We shall have to leave the argument at that. Whether this bundle addresses the needs of a typical seminarian or language student, rather than an atypical situation, time will surely tell. But the fact that they are not sold as a bundle by other retailers, leads me to an a priori assumption, which perhaps many share.

Well ... I know what I need, and it sure ain't the whole boatload of it. Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:44 AM

Lee:

Someday my ship will come in. Big Smile

Posts 37
Nina Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 11:48 AM

Super Tramp:

Lee:

Dude...(sweet hubby of mine)...how many books do you need? You already have a Titanic boat load of books!!!  Stick out tongue

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 11:55 AM

Inevitably someone's gotta be the champion. With language skills You do a lot so no wonder.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 3:09 PM

Nina Jones:

Super Tramp:

Lee:

Dude...(sweet hubby of mine)...how many books do you need? You already have a Titanic boat load of books!!!  Stick out tongue

Watch out for that iceberg! Lightning Storm Umbrella

Posts 10669
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 4:55 PM

Nina Jones:

Super Tramp:

Lee:

What happened to "Whatever makes hubby happy"—or words to that effect? Hmm Perhaps he became too happy Hmm

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:15 PM

Jack Caviness:
What happened to "Whatever makes hubby happy"—or words to that effect? Hmm Perhaps he became too happy Hmm

I figured out what is going on. Thursday is my wedding anniversary and Nina is probably proposing a little quid pro quo.  My Logos book addiction is getting expensive. 

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 10:13 PM

How about getting her one of those "bundles"? Yes

Posts 10669
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 2:45 AM

Super Tramp:
Thursday is my wedding anniversary.

When is Nina's wedding anniversary? Devil

Super Tramp:
Nina is probably proposing a little quid pro quo.

Lee made a good suggestion. Get her some Logos resources that you don't have Cool

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:46 PM

Super Tramp:
Jack Caviness:
I figured out what is going on. Thursday is my wedding anniversary and Nina is probably proposing a little quid pro quo.  My Logos book addiction is getting expensive. 

I finally struck a deal with Nina. I shave my beard for our anniversary and I get to order the Zondervan Biblical Languages Collection Upgrade. I got the upgrade because I already have Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics.

Of course I am keeping my Logos branded fleece.

Posts 9148
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 5:01 AM

Super Tramp:

I finally struck a deal with Nina. I shave my beard for our anniversary and I get to order the Zondervan Biblical Languages Collection Upgrade. I got the upgrade because I already have Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics.

So are you saying that you will put a price on your beard of $429.95?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 7:06 AM

Bruce Dunning:
So are you saying that you will put a price on your beard of $429.95?

Yes, and no. The "Upgrade" price for those who already have Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics is $399.95 this week. You can find the link just above Key Features on the product description page.  

I hope everybody who is still on the fence realises the price bumps up a little on June 20th.

Page 3 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS