What is "Mark this article as especially helpful" for? It doesn't seem to stick or affect anything.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18854
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 14 2009 8:38 PM

Anybody know what the little star in the far right column of the Commentaries section of guides is for? If you hover the mouse over it, a pop-up says "Mark this article as especially helpful." If you click on the star it turns yellow. Very nice. But it doesn't seem to affect anything. If you refresh the guide (F5) the yellow star is lost. I thought maybe I could use it to move the most helpful articles up to the top of the list in my guide results, but no such luck. So what's the point of it? And why doesn't it stick around once I've marked an article as helpful? Is this a bug?

Posts 29
LogosEmployee
MorrisProctorEmployee
Morris Proctor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:43 PM

Hi Rosie,

This is just a simple way of marking a resource as helpful if you should generate a report for this same passage again. For example, if you generate a report for Ruth 1.3 again, this same report will open including any notes you’ve added, customization of the sections you’ve made, and your helpful resources you’ve marked. Your eye would catch the marked star and you’d probably look at that resource first. You are correct that if you refresh the guide the marked stars disappear.

Blessings,

Morris

Posts 3771
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:01 PM

i tried different scenarios out to clarify what i thought you two were saying.  It sounds like this is the deal:

• if i highlight a star of a resource within a PG, it will appear again if I run a PG of that eXACT same pericope/verse.
  • HOWEVER, if I f5 "refresh" within that same PG after I highlight that star, that star's highlight is wiped out "forever" unless I "star" the resource again.
  • I also note, if a resource is "starred", say for Eph 6:14, that same resource will not be starred if I run a PG for Eph 6:14-18.  Even though that verse appears in both . . .

It is odd to me that refreshing deletes the star.  But then again, maybe not.  I guess it functions a bit like "cancel" (with obvious differences, too)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3771
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:03 PM

AND, "ps.": nice to see your first post, Professor MP . . . Geeked

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 18854
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:24 PM

Morris Proctor:

This is just a simple way of marking a resource as helpful if you should generate a report for this same passage again. For example, if you generate a report for Ruth 1.3 again, this same report will open including any notes you’ve added, customization of the sections you’ve made, and your helpful resources you’ve marked. Your eye would catch the marked star and you’d probably look at that resource first. You are correct that if you refresh the guide the marked stars disappear.

Thanks, Morris. Nice to get a reply directly from the professional trainer.

I had already tested generating a new guide report for this same passage again, and it did not behave as you say it would (preserving the articles I'd marked with stars), which is also how I would have expected it to work. Only if I generate another report from the exact same guide template on the exact same passage are my stars preserved. As you'll notice in the screen shot, I had created a personalized guide template for just Commentaries. That's the one that was open when I starred that article. But when I went back to my Bible, right clicked on Ruth 1:3 and elected this time to generate a Passage Guide, that article was not starred in the resulting guide's Commentaries section.

Also, interestingly, notes are preserved when I do a Refresh, though stars disappear. I believe I saw a thread a while back about how notes didn't use to be preserved and this was a bug which has since been fixed. I think the stars should be just as sticky as Notes. Wouldn't you agree?

Posts 29
LogosEmployee
MorrisProctorEmployee
Morris Proctor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:38 PM

Rosie,

You are very perceptive. It does indeed appear that “saved reports” are template specific. The reports from other templates do show up in the My Content section. I also agree with you that one would think stars would be “sticky”.

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 12:19 AM

Rosie Perera:
I think the stars should be just as sticky as Notes. Wouldn't you agree?

Emphatically - removal should require action on the part of the user.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:18 AM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
I think the stars should be just as sticky as Notes. Wouldn't you agree?

Emphatically - removal should require action on the part of the user.

I concur!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS