Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:39 PM

The Philokalia or some of the books of extracts from it. For that matter, there are few enough Orthodox resources there are a number I'd go for ... John Breck, Johanna Manley are some contemporary authors of excellent Bible related texts.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:28 PM

i'd like to see some EO resources.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 36
Kris Kennedy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:19 PM

I would absolutely agree with this selection; this is an excellent Eastern Orthodox resource!

Posts 27
Brandon Vaughn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:23 PM

One of the weakest areas in Logos, in my opinion, is Eastern Orthodox writings.  I was totally unaware of them until a few years ago.  And they are wonderful!

There is a wealth of great stuff there.  Their writings on the Trinity are especially wonderful.

Please, Logos, give us some EO materials!

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:45 PM

There are a couple of EO theology resources in the Theological Studies Collection (in pre-pub), and Daniel Clendenin's Eastern Orthodox Theology set is in the Baker Theology Collection (also in pre-pub), but I agree the EO resources are weak.

How about some works by Alexander Schmemann? I don't know his complete ouevre but I have these and would give them a thumbs up:

For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy (Alexander Schmemann) - wonderful book, I just read it!
The Eucharist Sacrament of the Kingdom (Alexander Schmemann)

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:49 PM

For a liturgist Dix, Schmemann and Kavanaugh are all essentials

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:52 PM

What about Kallistos Ware? I don't know his work but his name comes up all the time in the same contexts with Clendenin and Schmemann in my neck of the woods.

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 12:22 AM

His How to Pray and introduction to the Orthodox Church (I've fogotten the exactly title) have been classics since my college days - certainly How to Pray is a classic for spiritual direction and I highly recommend it.  But I'm enough of an old fogey still using bookshelves to prefer that Logos concentrate on things with enough Scriptural references for the search capabilities to justify the purchase. I know this will change - I'm just not rushing it.Big Smile

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:09 AM

Yes to almost everything mentioned in this thread.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2012 3:54 AM

As a user of Logos who is also Orthodox, I would have to agree to all of the suggestions above. But let me also present my preferred list of what I would call essential modern Orthodox theologians:

• Alexander Schmenann
  • Daniel B. Clendenin
  • Hilarion Alfeyev
  • John Meyendorff
  • George Florovsky
  • Kallistos Ware
  • Vladimir Lossky
  • John Behr

I would have to disagree with one of the previous posters, there are a lot of Orthodox resources in Logos. Those would be the large numbers of texts (although far from all) that we have from the Fathers. We just have few writings from modern Orthodox persons Big Smile

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2012 2:04 PM

James W Bennett:
I would have to disagree with one of the previous posters, there are a lot of Orthodox resources in Logos. Those would be the large numbers of texts (although far from all) that we have from the Fathers. We just have few writings from modern Orthodox persons Big Smile

good point!  Big Smile

Yes on your suggestions.

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2012 5:05 PM

James W Bennett:
As a user of Logos who is also Orthodox, I would have to agree to all of the suggestions above. But let me also present my preferred list of what I would call essential modern Orthodox theologians:

Whew! Does this mean what I think it does? You'll be pushing for more Orthodox resources and I can move on to the Oriental church resourcesBig Smile

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2012 4:13 AM

MJ. Smith:
Whew! Does this mean what I think it does? You'll be pushing for more Orthodox resources and I can move on to the Oriental church resourcesBig Smile

How about we both push for both. Then we show more interest to Logos and get more resources Smile

Seriously, while I am (now) Orthodox, my academic pursuit is the Syriac speaking Churches.

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 3:38 PM

For those of you who haven't yet found out, there is now an Orthodox suggestion at Logos' new Uservoice site for prepubs: Add more Orthodox works, and also one for Patristics: Add more Patristic works. Please go add your votes. And then add the remainder of your votes to other suggestions -- preferably mine.Big Smile

(There is also a new Uservoice site for CP's, with another ten new votes for you to spend: http://communitypricing.uservoice.com/forums/183260-general/filters/top.)   

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 425
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:51 PM

James W Bennett:

• Alexander Schmenann
  • Daniel B. Clendenin
  • Hilarion Alfeyev
  • John Meyendorff
  • George Florovsky
  • Kallistos Ware
  • Vladimir Lossky
  • John Behr

Staniloae would not hurt either.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 6:46 PM

Thank you for all of these suggestions over the last several months (years?). We will do everything we can to provide more Orthodox resources in the near future. Smile

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 12:12 PM

James W Bennett:
George Florovsky

Collected Works of Fr. Georges Florovsky, Part 1 (4 vols.)  (and it's on CP, not prepub!) 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 6:45 PM

MJ. Smith:
The Philokalia or some of the books of extracts from it.

It's in pre-pub now, at least some selections from it:

https://www.logos.com/product/49432/orthodox-spiritual-heritage-collection#002 

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 4:17 PM

Rosie Perera:

MJ. Smith:
The Philokalia or some of the books of extracts from it.

It's in pre-pub now, at least some selections from it:

https://www.logos.com/product/49432/orthodox-spiritual-heritage-collection#002 

I have this in my collection now: https://www.logos.com/product/45046/the-philokalia-a-classic-text-of-orthodox-spirituality

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS