Bible Background Collection

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:59 AM

Does any one out there have a good working search string to create a collection for Bible Backgrounds like IVP Bible Background, Manners & Customs, Dictionary of Biblical Imagery, Archeological Encyclopedia etc.   Bible Backgrounds seem to span multiple types.

Thanks for the help in advance

Emery,

The natural plus the supernatural together make an explosive force for God.

Posts 27267
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 4:34 AM

Let me start you off with a query based on those resources:

type:media OR title:(background, manners, archaeological)

See how that fits your need and report back.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 5:22 AM

I'm not sure you can do it with a query, simply because the resources you're suggesting are so diverse. Here's what I'd suggest:

(title:(manner,custom,background,archaeolog) OR (subject:("iron age", excavation,archaeolog,antiquities) AND type:dictionary)) ANDNOT subject:(canon,doctrine)

In my library that pulls in everything apart from Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Frankly, I'm not convinced it naturally fits in with the other resources. If that's the case, better to add it manually if you think it would be useful, rather than create an artificial search string that 'works'.

There's some redundancy in my search string subjects, but that's deliberate. You don't know how future resources will be tagged. It's also deliberately set to exclude the Biblical Archaeology Review which is I presume what you wanted. If not change the type:dictionary to type:(dictionary, magazine)

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:35 AM

Dave and Mark,

Thanks for your responses.  Part of what got me on this was that in my print library I have several excellent background books, "Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus" (Jeremias) - , "New Testament History" (Bruce) - "Man in the Roman Street" (Mattingly) etc.  I was curious to see if there was anything in my Logos Library (1099 volumes - Scholar's Gold) like these volumes and if there were how could I pull them easily into this collection.   For example, I did find "Time Travel to the World of Jesus"  which would seem to be a background reference but doesn't come up in either of the suggested search strings.  What do you think?

Emery,

Posts 1668
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:52 AM

This is a very helpful thread.

Question: Mark or Dave, can you give me any hints why "The Cosmopolitan World of Jesus: New Light from Archeology" does NOT show up in my resulting collection? (David, I've copied Mark's longer string into the "Start with" window).

Thanks so much

Steve F

<EDIT> OK I've got it -- the difference is between the "USA" spelling and the "British" spelling of Archeology vs Archaeology! (I should have caught this sooner, 'cause I'm from Canada, eh?)

Regards, SteveF

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 7:42 AM

EmeryHorvath:

I did find "Time Travel to the World of Jesus"  which would seem to be a background reference but doesn't come up in either of the suggested search strings.  What do you think?

Adding OR subject:(manners,customs) adds in Edersheim's "Sketches of Jewish social life"  and the book you mention. Adding the wrong alternative spelling of archeology, the resulting string is:

(title:(manner,custom,background,archaeolog, archeolog) OR subject:(manner,custom) OR (subject:("iron age", excavation,archaeolog,archeolog, antiquities) AND type:dictionary)) ANDNOT subject:(canon,doctrine)

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 7:59 AM

Mark,

Wow! - that search string is a mouthful! 

But it seems to be getting me there.

Do you think this would be pretty inclusive then?

Emery,

Posts 1668
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:07 AM

Mark, I also had to include ANDNOT "Christmas" because I was picking up "A Christmas Carol" !

I hope there are no "real' background and culture books with Christmas in the description, or they will now never make it into this dynamic collection. - I guess I could have just "dragged" it out, rather than adding the above syntax "phrase."

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:46 AM

EmeryHorvath:
Do you think this would be pretty inclusive then?

It looks pretty inclusive to me, but it's hard to say for certain. And we're relying a little bit on Logos' subject tagging which isn't always reliable. All you can do is look through your library and see if anything's missing. If it is, then you can revise the query.

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:11 AM

What's left out that I would want to include are some of my 2nd Temple Judaism and other histories; sociological works (social histories); and historical geographies.  But "history" is a pretty "big" word to include in the search string--it could bring in lots of things I don't want.

I have great interest in this type of contextual background research, but my mind boggles when I think about trying to get a complete dynamic collection definition.

I think I just need to wait for bibliographic reports.  I'm most comfortable sitting with a print-out and some different colored highlighters to design my collections, and then maybe try a string with just a few terms, followed by  lots of hand-picking and choosing.  I don't have confidence that the collections I'm trying to define dynamically really rope in everything I want, without throwing in the kitchen sink too.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 12:10 PM

Things that may be relevant that I noticed were left out, in my library, were things like Blomberg's Jesus and the Gospels and Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah. While a work like Blomberg's isn't primarily focused on backgrounds, it does have important and concise background information and gives some good resources for further study in particular background issues.

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 1668
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 1:33 PM

The New Testament Milieu

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 1:56 PM

OK, here's a broader collection. It still doesn't include Blomberg's Jesus and the Gospels, nor Life and Times. As you noted, Blomberg might be useful, but isn't really about this, so if you wanted it you'd have to add it manually. Ditto for Life and Times (though admittedly less so). In both these cases, I would recommend tagging those books in a meaningful way, and adding OR mytag:"NT background" or whatever. Tagging resources in this is generally better than adding them manually, because you can potentially use the tag in another collection, and this maintains consistency. Here's the search, and the results. It's too broad for mu liking, but includes much of the Second Temple stuff some people mentioned.

(title:(manner,custom,background,archaeolog, archeolog) OR subject:(manner,custom,"New Testament--Background","Jews", "Judaism") OR (subject:(excavation,archaeolog,archeolog, antiquities) AND type:dictionary)) ANDNOT subject:(canon,doctrine,"Jews--Conversion", "Hebrew Language")

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 1:57 PM

Mary-Ellen Vian:
I don't have confidence that the collections I'm trying to define dynamically really rope in everything I want, without throwing in the kitchen sink too.

If you've not done so already, you may find the collections videos referred to in my signature useful.

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:06 PM

Wow,

You guys have really opened up some things for me here. 

Is this subject too dynamic (diverse) to be updated dynamically? 

I wonder how some of these works that have been mentioned are tagged?  Was the 'New Testament Milieu' just missed as a background work?  (I am sure it's just 'the nature of the beast'  here). 

This is one of my thoughts in proposing the question originally in this thread - the idea that it would easy in a massive library to miss fundamental works that are right in your library 'under your nose so to speak', yet you are unaware of them.  Also, if the answer to that is that you have to go through your library manually, doesn't that defeat the idea of keeping a collection dynamically updated?

Emery,

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:20 PM

Emery,

There's two issues here. First, the metadata for Logos resources sometimes just isn't good enough. Hopefully that will improve. Second, the collection you're trying to create would be even more difficult in a physical library setting. Assuming the library used Dewey, you'd be looking at at least ten different shelves.

• 220.9, 220.91, 220.93, 220.95
  • 221.9, 221.91, 221.93, 221.95
  • 225.9, 225.91, 225.93, 225.95
  • 232.901, 232.908
  • 296.09013, 296.09014
  • 296.49*, 296.91*

So my suggested search string isn't that bad really Wink

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:27 PM

Mark,

I agree with you 110% here, your search string is pretty awesome and I thank you for helping me (and all of the rest of us) with all of this.   This has been a cool thread.

Emery,

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:34 PM

Hey Mark,

How about uploading this string to Phil Spitzers Wiki Collection Post so others can have it?  I would have been 'a month of Sundays' trying to figure this out on my own.

Emery,

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 2:50 PM

Emery Horvath:
How about uploading this string to Phil Spitzers Wiki Collection Post so others can have it?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've added about half a dozen collection strings I use.

Posts 1668
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:00 PM

Mark, thanks again for the "strings" and the videos.

regards

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS