Updated Bible Version (UPDV) Evaluation

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 24070
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 9:21 PM

Greg Abrams:
The reasons I give for this and other things are only a brief summary. They usually include several concepts and sources for one to conduct their own study or research. Acts plainly does not belong.

The question of whether or it not belongs depends upon (a) your definition of "canonical" and (b) your criteria for determining "canonicity". 

Greg Abrams:
It fits better for a novel or a movie script.

That may be so. However, I have seen strong arguments for Jonah as a novel without any implication that that brings its canonical status into question.

My only "stake" in the issue is my interest in variant canons. I know of a canon that contains only Revelation. I know of a canon of > 80 books that is somewhat unable to come up with a consist list. I know of several canons where the stated canon does not correspond to the canon in practice. I'll be interested in your canon when you provide a precise definition of canonical and your criteria. I appreciate your making it available to those who are interested.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4
Greg Abrams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 10:15 PM

One can spend years in endless discussions trying to precisely define and defend the definition of a canon.

And it doesn’t really matter for this situation of the Book of Acts except as a scholarly exercise.

To simplify, it is plainly not Biblical, or even ethical in most circles, to misrepresent fiction and made up stories as factual or as the inspired Word of God.

It is taught nearly everywhere as if it really happened and one can depend on God to back it up.

Of course by the meaning of Biblical, I suppose one at least needs to have part of the Old Testament in their canon where it is taught that there is a difference between what is and what is not the Word of God. 

Posts 881
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 10:27 PM

I really don't think this is an appropriate discussion for this forum as per the guidelines here.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 4
Greg Abrams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 11:02 PM

Sean:

I really don't think this is an appropriate discussion for this forum as per the guidelines here.

Thanks for the notice. It doesn’t seem like an appropriate topic for the General forum for multiple reasons.

I would recommend that someone open a thread in a more suitable place if they are interested in continuing this.

I will not be responding here while it is in the General Forum.

Posts 24070
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2018 11:13 PM

Sean:

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 448
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 12:29 AM

Greg Abrams:

One can spend years in endless discussions trying to precisely define and defend the definition of a canon.

The definition of a "canon" is widely understood and wholly uncontroversial. To support this statement I refer to (in Logos) F. F. Bruce, Bruce Metzger, and any Biblical, theological or English dictionary.

What one may legitimately and profitably spend time considering is the content of a canon and the criteria for inclusion.

Ironically, and to my mind amusingly, this thread is itself an example of a critical selective process determining whether a text fits the forum's standard of canonicity. Smile

Posts 8082
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 2:52 PM

Gordon Jones:
Ironically, and to my mind amusingly, this thread is itself an example of a critical selective process determining whether a text fits the forum's standard of canonicity. Smile

Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS