exporting a book chapter to hand out in a class?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26
ClaytonH | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 14 2013 4:38 PM

Hi Guys - I am sure this has been asked and dealt with previously, but can't seem to find to it.  

I am wanting to export a dictionary article and book chapter to hand out in a class.  Does the Logos end user license allow this?  The books are in the library, but an export looks far better than a scanned copy (and less time).  

Cheers

Clayton

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 4:50 PM

I think the issue is more about "fair use" policy. If you are legally allowed to handout a photocopied chapter of the book in its entirety, you can probably use the copy from logos instead. I do know, however, that many books have guidance about copying the resource. Sometimes they say things like "no more than 20%" and "not a complete chapter." In academic circles there is often more freedom to copy passages for academic purposes... But there are also probably more abuses as well.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 4:54 PM

I forgot to add (and couldn't edit my post...ugh):

Do you know the general laws in your area and setting for using such material? If you could use a photocopy of a printed book, you should be able to use a handout from Logos. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26
ClaytonH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 4:59 PM

Thanks Alabama - The laws allow for a chapter (unless, as you say, the publisher does not allow it) to be distributed for academic purposes only and a federal copyright notice has to be attached as well.  

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS