Morph and Lemma searches in Latin Texts

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Barry Hofstetter | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 19 2013 4:17 AM

These types of searches are pretty easy in Greek and Hebrew, but I have occasional need to do so in the Latin texts (especially in the Perseus collection). So far, I only seem able to do basic searches, and it only does exact matches, even if the "match all word forms" or "match case" options are clicked. In my old Bible software program, one simply had to use a wild card, so that if I wanted to bring up all uses of tempus in all 5 cases singular and plural, all I had to enter was temp*. Is there a way to do this in Logos?

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:23 AM

Barry Hofstetter:

These types of searches are pretty easy in Greek and Hebrew, but I have occasional need to do so in the Latin texts (especially in the Perseus collection). So far, I only seem able to do basic searches, and it only does exact matches, even if the "match all word forms" or "match case" options are clicked. In my old Bible software program, one simply had to use a wild card, so that if I wanted to bring up all uses of tempus in all 5 cases singular and plural, all I had to enter was temp*. Is there a way to do this in Logos?

Standard wildcards (* and ?) work fine in Logos. "Match all Word forms" only works in English texts, I think.

Posts 15
Barry Hofstetter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:33 AM

Ok, that does seem to do it, although it also brings up a bunch of stuff from English as well. Is there a way to limit the search to a particular group of texts, such as all the Latin texts from the Perseus collection?

Posts 9969
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:35 AM

Barry Hofstetter:

Ok, that does seem to do it, although it also brings up a bunch of stuff from English as well. Is there a way to limit the search to a particular group of texts, such as all the Latin texts from the Perseus collection?

the most easy way to do this would be to actually make a collection out of them - use rule Perseus AND lang:latin - and then run the search against this collection instead of the whole library

EDIT: screenshot

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:58 AM

Barry Hofstetter:

In addition to N.B. Mick's suggestion, you can also search your entire library for latin:temp*. This has the advantage of searching all Latin text (even in predominantly English resources), not just Latin resources. This technique works for pretty much every language (e.g. german:die, or french:car).

Posts 15
Barry Hofstetter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 6:06 AM

Optime (Latin for "really great"). That did the trick perfectly. I appreciate the help, and hope this helps others as well...

Big Smile

Posts 15
Barry Hofstetter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 6:08 AM

That is a great tip as well. I feel that my ability to use Logos has been greatly enhanced...

Surprise

Posts 95
Rick Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 6:11 AM

Alternately, until we fully implement support for Latin morphology (coming; 5.1 has the groundwork for this) you can use basic search and some funky syntax to search Perseus material for Latin lemmas because Latin material in Perseus *is* lemma tagged, though not (presently) morph tagged.

This syntax specifies the "content" field (the content field is an analogue for how we use the 'bible' field in Bible resources) and looks for lemmas that occur within that field. Or skip it and just do the <lemma ~ lbs/la/tempus> thing. ('lbs' == morph scheme; 'la' == language, here Latin; 'tempus' == lemma).

Rick Brannan | Twitter: @RickBrannan
my books in print

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 8:50 AM

Rick Brannan:
support for Latin morphology (coming; 5.1 has the groundwork for this)

Yes

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS