Which Encyclopedia/Dictionary to Get In Print - ZEB or NIDB?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 31
Andrew | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 19 2013 12:01 PM

I am curious which Encycolopedia/Dictionary you guys would recommend for me to get in print, Zondervan's Encyclopedia of the Bible or the New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible?  I already have AYBD and ISBE on Logos, but I want a physical dictionary to have around the home.

At the moment I'm leaning towards ZEB simply because I think the pictures could be a great way for my kids to get more involved with what they might be reading (I too like pictures!), but some of the review I've read on here tend to shy people away from the series because of it being outdated.  I haven't seen much talk on the NIDB so I'm not real sure what to think of it.

Does anyone have a recommendations?

Thanks!

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 12:13 PM

I would say get neither in print. Whichever one you get, it will not be long before you wished you'd gotten in Logos, and then you'll eventually cave in and buy it again, so the money spent on the print edition will be money down the drain. Well, you'll still have the print edition so it isn't exactly "down the drain" but you won't use it anymore. Show your kids the pictures on screen. They're part of the digital generation anyway.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 2:05 PM

Rosie Perera:

I would say get neither in print. Whichever one you get, it will not be long before you wished you'd gotten in Logos, and then you'll eventually cave in and buy it again, so the money spent on the print edition will be money down the drain. Well, you'll still have the print edition so it isn't exactly "down the drain" but you won't use it anymore. Show your kids the pictures on screen. They're part of the digital generation anyway.

Well, that assumes that NIDB will actually make it to Logos. I'm not convinced that's ever going to happen, which is a shame - it's an outstanding resource.

Posts 31
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 2:47 PM

Smile I thought about that and I still might get it in the future on Logos anyway, but I still find physical books have their uses. It's kind of like having a lot of different bibles on Logos but I still use and appreciate a physical bible. You would think being in my 20s I'd be sold out for everything digital but it's nice to read sometimes without looking at a screen. 

Posts 31
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 2:50 PM

Adam, can you expound a little on your experience with NIDB? Are there any illustrations or pictures? 

Thanks! 

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 3:51 PM

There are numerous illustrations in the NIDB, it is very easy to follow I am sure your kids would find it quite useful as well as yourself.

-Dan

Posts 31
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:45 PM

Thanks for your input Dan! 

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 7:56 AM

Andy:

Adam, can you expound a little on your experience with NIDB? Are there any illustrations or pictures? 

Thanks! 

Plenty of illustrations/pictures throughout.

In my view, it's an outstanding resource because, unlike Anchor (which, of course, is still the standard-bearer), it's not limited to being "just" a Bible dictionary. That is, NIDB has entries on (some) theological topics along with the usual ones on places, people, books, etc. Also, in my experience as a tutor, students seem to appreciate my recommending it for their papers because it's a bit easier to jump into than ABD.

Highly recommended. And it's very frustrating to not have this available in Logos.

@Dan - You've mentioned before that NIDB is available for "Ministry Matters." How, exactly, does that work? Do you subscribe? Can you download it somehow?

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 5:56 PM

Adam Rao:
@Dan - You've mentioned before that NIDB is available for "Ministry Matters." How, exactly, does that work? Do you subscribe? Can you download it somehow?

I owned the items ON CDROM and provided proof of ownership and had been given free access unfortunately this is an online access only… but as long as you have internet and a browser it can be used. I purchased the dictionary and the one volume commentary and the study bible in Olivetree, it;s not Logos but the mobile app is outstanding, and the the desktop app is adequate (the OT price for the dictionary was such a super price (it was it's initial introduction sale price) I could't pass it up...

-dan

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 7:30 PM

Dan Francis:

Adam Rao:

I owned the items ON CDROM and provided proof of ownership and had been given free access unfortunately this is an online access only… but as long as you have internet and a browser it can be used. I purchased the dictionary and the one volume commentary and the study bible in Olivetree, it;s not Logos but the mobile app is outstanding, and the the desktop app is adequate (the OT price for the dictionary was such a super price (it was it's initial introduction sale price) I could't pass it up...

-dan

Thanks for the info, Dan. Much appreciated.

Posts 31
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 23 2013 7:34 PM

Well thanks for your input Dan and Adam! I went ahead and ordered NIDB for a really good price from cokesbury with free shipping.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:18 PM
Happy you got a deal, I am sure you won't regret the purchase. -dan
Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 24 2013 2:48 AM

That was the best choice, Andy! IMO it's even better than the ones You have since before. I followed this discussion and was glad other users were able to assist You! I don't have it, but I have a pre-pub order for it and I'm thinking "will I manage without it in college studying a bit of theology, as it's gonna take some years before it goes into production in Logos?". Meanwhile I have only the Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible which is included in a base-package I have. I'm not going to buy any other Bible encyclopedias/dictionaries, most probably not even specialty dictionaries. I'm poor and nowadays I buy only little so buying the print version would be desirable albeit difficult. I need the ability to click words in any books in Logos and get instant results from the NIDB. I would have needed it with me at college, and of course it is going to be a bonus at Church, I always carry a laptop to Church even though I also have a Barnes n' Noble Nook HD 7" 8 GB tablet (I have that one for reading in the public transport system):

Andy:
I went ahead and ordered NIDB for a really good price from cokesbury

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 24 2013 9:31 AM

Dear Logos: We need the New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. And the New Interpreter's Bible commentary set. Pretty please?

Think that'll help? ;)

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 24 2013 12:06 PM

Adam Rao:

Dear Logos: We need the New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. And the New Interpreter's Bible commentary set. Pretty please?

Think that'll help? ;)

I wish it would I feel like I have been baying at the moon. I can't seem to convince enough people to get it into production and Logos is being a fool not getting it. Accordance in Logos parlance has it under contract, they also are finally beta testing their windows software now. There are enough people like me who are willing to use both software and while having it integrated into Logos would be nice but Accordance is a fine piece of software. I know we won't see it over there till after the Anchor Bible Commentary is released, but it is frustrating not having it in a decent Bible software. And I truly believe having the NIB would bring a whole knew base of customers to Logos. A base that will happily get established in Accordance if it gets there first. I know the New Interpreter's series except the 12 volume commentary is complete in Olivetree but as nice as it is mobile, it's desktop system is so bare bones and leaves much to be desired. where as IMHO Accordance is every bit as powerful and near equal in desktop software and maybe even a bit more advanced in mobile than Logos. I am not hear to debate which software is better at what they each have strengths and in my mind are equals in everything but library options, although Accordance has a few few things that you won't find in Logos. In the end Bob seems unwilling to take a leap of faith to get it into production and the current user base seems too uninterested in it to get it into production. So while i still put up the occasional sample, I have come to the sad conclusion it will likely never make it to Logos, and I am ok with the knowledge that it not an if but when it will be in Accordance.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS