PUUUUSSSSSHH! Please?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:00 AM

So, Jastrow's Aramaic Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature is the basic dictionary of Aramaic for a lot of scholarly work. Very basic. We had to use/buy it in my Aramaic courses.

The print versions are terrible to look at, and hard to work with. It languished on pre-pub for a few years, couldn't quite get there. Now it's been on community pricing hitting close to 60% at $20, less than the $50 it was on prepub for, and less than the Hendricksen reprint of the 1903 edition.

https://www.logos.com/product/16534/dictionary-of-the-targumim-the-talmud-babli-and-yerushalmi-and-the-midrashic-literature

Yes, there are better things out there (Sokoloff), but those are multi-volume and $$$ (as per this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30138.aspx?PageIndex=1 ) and even less likely to make it into Logos.

And yes, you can get 89 pdf files of Jastrow, copies of the 1903 version... but it's not easy to work with at all. 

So please, if you do any kind of Semitic work at all, throw on a $20 bid!

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:10 AM

Ben:
And yes, you can get 89 pdf files of Jastrow, copies of the 1903 version... but it's not easy to work with at all. 

You're wrong about one thing and right about another.  I have Jastrow in PDF—it's only two files.  You're right in that it is definitely not easy to use.  It reminds me of years ago when Logos published a facsimile edition of BDB except that even that was easier to work with than the PDF files of Jastrow.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:17 AM

I haven't used it for a while. But it was your comment in that linked thread I reviewed that mentioned 89 files. 

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30138/223539.aspx#223539

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:32 AM

Ben:

I haven't used it for a while. But it was your comment in that linked thread I reviewed that mentioned 89 files. 

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30138/223539.aspx#223539

I would suggest that one of two things happened:  Either I was being hyperbolic or I now have a different set of PDF files (possible since I played around with my files).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 300
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 11:28 AM

Ben:
So please, if you do any kind of Semitic work at all, throw on a $20 bid!

I'm in!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:33 PM

I'm in also!          *smile*                                                                                             Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:36 PM

OK, you've convinced me. I don't ever look at Aramaic stuff, but who knows. Maybe someday I will.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 8:36 PM

I'm in!  I must have somehow missed this. 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:38 PM

Bump.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 164
Niko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:06 PM

Yes

Posts 521
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 2:21 PM

I raised my bid to 40.00

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 2:56 PM

*smile*                 I raised my bid!                                                                            Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 10456
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:21 PM

I bid $40.

I wonder on specialized resources like this, whether users would mind a Logos opt-in email to increase their bid to achieve a production level? I think it's very difficult to communicate the issue through the forum.

I know I'd pop my bids if I knew a large number would put it in production. Especially on these technical types that pretty much have found all the potential bidders.

Posts 2331
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:51 PM

OK I bumped my bid up to $40. It only hurts when I go like this Big Smile

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 7:49 PM

I'm in at $20.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 6:55 PM

I'm in too!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4774
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 12 2013 4:03 PM

Denise:

I bid $40.

I wonder on specialized resources like this, whether users would mind a Logos opt-in email to increase their bid to achieve a production level? I think it's very difficult to communicate the issue through the forum.

I avidly support this idea. When this email goes out, please put HERE at the top of the list and indicate that a $50-60 bid is necessary for it to hit production. 

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS