Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:42 AM

Welcome to the Noet forum!

Noet is a new initiative of Logos Bible Software that brings our existing technology to bear on the humanities. Noet serves disciplines that involve original-language research and text comparison—classical studies, philosophy, intellectual history, and literature. Designed for scholars, students, and other lovers of the classics, Noet serves those wishing to engage the core texts of the Western intellectual tradition.

I look forward to reading and responding to your thoughts and suggestions about Noet, and I welcome any feedback you might have about this new venture.

For more information about Noet and Noet products, I invite you to visit www.noet.com. You'll find detailed responses to questions you may have at www.noet.com/faq. I also invite you to read Bob's announcement about Noet on Logos Talk.

Thanks!

--Mike

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 11:48 AM

1) From Bob's blog: "Noet (rhymes with “poet”) is the Logos platform repurposed for scholarly ebooks outside biblical studies: Greek and Latin classics, philosophy, literature, Shakespeare, Judaica, etc."

Can you comment on the Judaica part? Judaica clearly isn't "outside biblical studies". Are you planning to use Noet as a more 'neutral' platform for Jewish users? Are you planning to finally fill the huge holes in the Jewish offerings? Will there be a Jewish Product Manager?

2) Bob's blog again: "But more excitingly, we’ll customize Logos 5′s tools to support the special needs of disciplines beyond biblical and theological studies: we’ll support (...) word-for-word comparisons of different editions of Shakespeare"

Sounds like you intend to expand Text Comparison. How far do you plan to take it? My dreams for TC can be found e g at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/43428/324614.aspx#324614.Wink

3) You need to look over the product pages for the 'old' philosophy collections and add 'Also included in' sections. E g, if I were about to pay $72.95 for the Classics in Empiricist Philosophy Collection (9 vols.), I'd want to know that for only $17 more I could get the whole Modern Philosophy Bundle (21 vols.).

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:08 PM

fgh:
Will there be a Jewish Product Manager?

I hope so! And I hope it would spill over from Noet onto Logos offerings. Would want there to be an advocate for the works of Jewish authors like Abraham Joshua Heschel, Martin Buber, ibn Ezra, Rashi, etc.

fgh:
3) You need to look over the product pages for the 'old' philosophy collections and add 'Also included in' sections. E g, if I were about to pay $72.95 for the Classics in Empiricist Philosophy Collection (9 vols.), I'd want to know that for only $17 more I could get the whole Modern Philosophy Bundle (21 vols.).

Yes

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:11 PM

4) Have you seen Is It OK if I dislike Noet?

5) When will you start pushing CP's on noet.com? We need help with Lewis & Short, Sophocles, the Patrologia's and a number of other things of interest to Classicists.Wink

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:30 PM

Rosie Perera:

fgh:
Will there be a Jewish Product Manager?

I hope so!

I think this is the fourth time I've asked that question since the new group of Product Managers started. Let's see if I get an answer this time.Smile

Rosie Perera:
Would want there to be an advocate for

The Tosefta, the Midrash Rabbah and other Midrashim, Rashi, Maimonides, Nachmanides...

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:49 PM

fgh:

5) When will you start pushing CP's on noet.com? We need help with Lewis & Short, Sophocles, the Patrologia's and a number of other things of interest to Classicists.Wink

We hope to begin doing this in the fall. It's true that there are several Greek and Latin resources that have stalled on community pricing, many of which are essential for Noet's catalog. The new audience that Noet will attract will help get these kinds of resources into production faster. At this point, you can help by sharing the news about Noet and directing your friends to the site. Smile

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:51 PM

fgh:

Great suggestion. We'll address this next week.

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 1:01 AM

fgh:
Can you comment on the Judaica part?

We have some Jewish users, but some don't wish to use a product with a cross in the logo, Christian branding, etc. Moving Judaica under the Noet brand will allow us to sell the Judaica that our Christian audience wants to a Jewish audience too, with less friction / explanation / etc. I believe the result will be an ability to publish more material that Logos users want at lower cost to all users.

fgh:
Text Comparison. How far do you plan to take it?

Far enough to compare Shakespeare, and other materials, and probably some (can't promise all) of what you want.

Posts 61
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 1:19 AM

fgh:

As a large number of people I am sure took advantage of the 'free' persueus collections and have the aristotle and plato etc books, are those who have access to those works eligible for the timeline etc that also comes with those collections?

Also, if we 'order' collections do we get discounts off the products we already own?

How to ask for help for Logos issues.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 8:56 AM

Thanks, Bob.

Bob Pritchett:
I believe the result will be an ability to publish more material that Logos users want at lower cost to all users.

That's what I'm hoping too!

Btw, it's been an awfully long time since the last batch of JPS titles.Wink

Bob Pritchett:
Far enough to compare Shakespeare, and other materials, and probably some (can't promise all) of what you want.

I'll hold you to that.Smile

fgh:
I think this is the fourth time I've asked that question since the new group of Product Managers started. Let's see if I get an answer this time.Smile

I didn't.Smile But I'm hoping.

Jason:
As a large number of people I am sure took advantage of the 'free' persueus collections and have the aristotle and plato etc books, are those who have access to those works eligible for the timeline etc that also comes with those collections?

The Plato and Aristotle in Noet are different editions than the ones in Perseus.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 10:25 AM

Mike Grigoni:
We'll address this next week.

Seems you need to do the same for the 'new' bundles. The smaller Greek bundle should be 'included in' the larger Greek bundle and so on.

Also, given that these bundles are meant for Classicists, you need to make it very explicit what they can and cannot expect from the tagging, especially the differences between Perseus and 'normal' resources. 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 11:56 AM

Hi Mike,

After looking over the Noet forum and website I still have a question.  For those resources that are "like" on both Noet and Logos, will all the capabilities that Logos has work with the same?  i.e. searching, tagging, linking, etc.

The example is the Harvard Classics that are being discussed in this thread.  Specifically, the disparity in price that Mark Smith points out in the apparent less expensive Noet version.

I'm a little lost.  Tongue Tied

Posts 164
Niko | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 12:08 PM

Could this bring more comparative semitic stuff?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 4:31 PM

Jason:
Also, if we 'order' collections do we get discounts off the products we already own?

Some "Under Development" pre-publications show already licensed:

Dreaming of a mega Noet bundle with dynamic upgrade pricing => Will there be a Mega-Bundle of all resources offered?

Logos search for Noet => http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=Noet is missing two discounted pre-publications:

=> Harvard Classics Collection (51 vols.) $ 149.95

=> Harvard Fiction Collection (20 vols.)   $  59.95

=> The Harvard Classics and Fiction Collection is already available with dynamic upgrade pricing, but lacks Noet launch discount

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 4:40 PM

Mike Grigoni:

Welcome to the Noet forum!

Noet is a new initiative of Logos Bible Software that brings our existing technology to bear on the humanities. Noet serves disciplines that involve original-language research and text comparison—classical studies, philosophy, intellectual history, and literature. Designed for scholars, students, and other lovers of the classics, Noet serves those wishing to engage the core texts of the Western intellectual tradition.

I look forward to reading and responding to your thoughts and suggestions about Noet, and I welcome any feedback you might have about this new venture.

For more information about Noet and Noet products, I invite you to visit www.noet.com. You'll find detailed responses to questions you may have at www.noet.com/faq. I also invite you to read Bob's announcement about Noet on Logos Talk.

Thanks!

--Mike

Peace, Mike!              Please help me understand this and/or correct your website ....

I own quite a number of the resources in this "offering"    ....         It seems your website will let me "buy again" what I already own ...

I actually signed up for this again ....    and when I noticed that I was buying again what I already own, I deleted my order ...  however, I Do want Kant ...

http://www.logos.com/product/33083/modern-philosophy-bundle?utm_source=noet.com_products&utm_medium=website&utm_content=modernphilosophy&utm_campaign=noetsoftlaunch

Am looking forward to understanding this  ....    *smile*               so ...   please tell me what's going on or "coming down," or whatever   ...  please!

a listing of what I own and do not own re. this "offering"

Individual Titles

• I own the above…
  • I own the above…
  • I own the above…
  • I DO NOT  own the below….…

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 8:03 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

I own quite a number of the resources in this "offering"    ....         It seems your website will let me "buy again" what I already own ...

I actually signed up for this again ....    and when I noticed that I was buying again what I already own, I deleted my order ...  however, I Do want Kant ...

Peace, Milford! Never fear. I was concerned that I was in the same situation as you and was about to chime in my similar question to Mike. I even was going to ask "Couldn't the Kant works be split out into an 'upgrade' collection for those of us who already own the rest, as is often done with pre-pubs?"

But then I realized that the Kant works are available in their own separate pre-pub:

http://www.logos.com/product/29824/immanuel-kant-collection

And I'm already in on that one. So I do not need to order the Noet Modern Philosophy collection. In fact, it already shows the "Pre-order" button as grey, so I wasn't tempted to order it.

Perhaps you didn't bid on the Kant bundle when it was in CP (which I think it was; I don't seem to have the email about that anymore though). But it's not too late to get it at the pre-pub price.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2013 4:01 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Please help me understand this and/or correct your website ....

The button only gets grey if you own everything in the bundle. Logos.com works exactly the same.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2013 4:34 AM

fgh:

Milford Charles Murray:

The button only gets grey if you own everything in the bundle. Logos.com works exactly the same.

So does dynamic pricing still apply and how can you tell the cost if it does?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2013 4:48 AM

Bruce Dunning:
So does dynamic pricing still apply and how can you tell the cost if it does?

I don't believe dynamic pricing applies to any pre-pub bundles.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2013 5:23 AM

fgh:

Milford Charles Murray:

Thanks, fgh                        AND                  Thanks, Rosie!                It's the next day and I'm "cool" now ...           *smile*

What disturbed me is that the Logos website had accepted my order .....               I'm not sure how they can handle this kind of situation; but, it was very upsetting ....        I perceived that I'd have to order the whole thing again to get the so-called "missing" books ...

absolutely cool now on this -- The Lord's Day -- for most of us!              *smile*                                       Peace!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS