Two Questions ...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 20
Matt Bondaruk | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:25 PM

#1 - I have a NOTE file called ACTS which contains all my personal notes on the Book of Acts. There is a phrase ("with one accord") which appears 10 times. At its first occurrence (Ac 1:14) I wrote a NOTE. The second occurrence is in Ac 2:1 and I would like to link the NOTE at Ac 1:14 to the phrase in Ac 2:1. I am stymied!! I have been trying for 2 hours and have had no luck. Can someone be kind enough to help me. (I can get Bible verses to link OK but not other URLs.

#2 - I am using a Mac. When I place my cursor on a highlight marker linked to a NOTE, up pops a box displaying the contents of the NOTE. Many of my NOTES have hyperlinks to other Bible verses and I would like to access them ... BUT HOW? You see, once I move my cursor off the highlight marker the NOTE on screen disappears!!

I would really be appreciative if someone would be kind enough to walk me through these 2 dilemmas I am experiencing. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:04 PM

Matt, it's not a good idea to post your email address in machine-readable form on public forums. Spam bots scour the Internet for email addresses and you might find you'll be the recipient of junk you don't want.

You can edit your post if you do it soon (within a 10 hour window). Just click the More button beside your post, and choose Edit. You can mask your email address by rewording it as something like name (at) domain (dot) com.

Posts 20
Matt Bondaruk | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. Changes made to my original post.

Matt

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 2:12 PM

Matt Bondaruk:

#1 - I have a NOTE file called ACTS which contains all my personal notes on the Book of Acts. There is a phrase ("with one accord") which appears 10 times. At its first occurrence (Ac 1:14) I wrote a NOTE. The second occurrence is in Ac 2:1 and I would like to link the NOTE at Ac 1:14 to the phrase in Ac 2:1. I am stymied!! I have been trying for 2 hours and have had no luck. Can someone be kind enough to help me. (I can get Bible verses to link OK but not other URLs.

There is at present no way to link the same note to multiple places in the Bible. It has been a longtime request of Logos users, particularly one very vocal one (MJ Smith), but still there's been no indication that Logos has noticed or taken seriously that request. If you want this feature, please go vote for it on the Logos UserVoice forum: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/583021-cross-reference-note-builder

In the meantime, the only thing you can do is copy/paste the contents of the original note to create duplicate notes attached to the other verses. Not ideal, because if you change the original note, the changes do not ripple over to the copied notes. And not an ideal use of space (though admittedly not much memory and disk space are used up by a typical note, and most people have ample amounts of both; they're cheap these days).

Matt Bondaruk:

#2 - I am using a Mac. When I place my cursor on a highlight marker linked to a NOTE, up pops a box displaying the contents of the NOTE. Many of my NOTES have hyperlinks to other Bible verses and I would like to access them ... BUT HOW? You see, once I move my cursor off the highlight marker the NOTE on screen disappears!!

If you hover over the note icon, the note only pops up temporarily. You have to click on the note icon to jump to the note, where you'll see the Bible verses as links in context. Once again, if you merely hover over the Bible reference in a note, it will only pop up the Bible text, but if you Ctrl+click (or Cmd+click on the Mac) on the reference, it will open your Bible to that verse. Too bad about the indirection. There's no more direct way to get from a note you've placed in a Bible to another linked Bible verse. Again, this might be a feature to request from Logos: the ability to add our own cross-references that can be jumped to very easily. Currently there's one request on UserVoice for something like this but it only has one vote so far, so I'm guessing it hasn't even come across the radar screen of Logos Development: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/3912509-it-would-be-great-to-be-able-to-add-cross-referenc

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 3:48 PM

Rosie Perera:
If you want this feature, please go vote for it on the Logos UserVoice forum: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/583021-cross-reference-note-builder

If you've got votes to spare, you should also vote for Rework notes function - in one or multiple phases.

Rosie Perera:
There's no more direct way to get from a note you've placed in a Bible to another linked Bible verse. Again, this might be a feature to request from Logos: the ability to add our own cross-references that can be jumped to very easily. Currently there's one request on UserVoice for something like this but it only has one vote so far, so I'm guessing it hasn't even come across the radar screen of Logos Development

Actually, our notes not behaving like other footnotes is something that's been complained about a number of times. I finally managed to get Brisa to write up a formal suggestion to the developers after writing this post. So, yes, it should be on their radar screen, though how important they consider it is quite another matter...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 3:59 PM

fgh:

Rosie Perera:
If you want this feature, please go vote for it on the Logos UserVoice forum: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/583021-cross-reference-note-builder

If you've got votes to spare, you should also vote for Rework notes function - in one or multiple phases.

The latter has been the highest vote-getting item on the list for a year or two, but has not succeeded in getting any of the items within it implemented because it's too much all at once. I know it was Logos who encouraged us to combine all the little Notes improvement requests into one big one and move our votes to that, but it's got to be hard to prioritize which of those things to do without the votes on the individual items. They're not inclined to do a whole major rewrite of the Notes feature (as Bob said, they are not in the business of reinventing the wheel and writing an entire word processor module just for Notes), only incremental improvements at this point.

It feels like we've been stuck at this juncture for way too long now, and I'm not sure what the best way forward is. MJ Smith used to actively advocate directly to Bob and Bradley about doing something to revamp Notes, but I think even she's given up on that now.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:49 PM

Rosie Perera:

The latter has been the highest vote-getting item on the list for a year or two, but has not succeeded in getting any of the items within it implemented because it's too much all at once. I know it was Logos who encouraged us to combine all the little Notes improvement requests into one big one and move our votes to that, but it's got to be hard to prioritize which of those things to do without the votes on the individual items. They're not inclined to do a whole major rewrite of the Notes feature (as Bob said, they are not in the business of reinventing the wheel and writing an entire word processor module just for Notes), only incremental improvements at this point.

It feels like we've been stuck at this juncture for way too long now, and I'm not sure what the best way forward is. MJ Smith used to actively advocate directly to Bob and Bradley about doing something to revamp Notes, but I think even she's given up on that now.

Hi Rosie,

I will have to say that I disagree with you because there have been changes to notes.  For a couple of examples: Logos did create their own RTF editor (but not a word processor), they have added a TOC like L3 with split view, we now have more note icon colors to chose from, we now right click to delete a note instead have the red x popping up under out mouse, we can now share our notes, and we can get backups of our deleted notes from the web.

To say that nothing in the list has been implemented is simply not true.  This being said, I will also say that a lot more can be done to notes.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:51 PM

tom:

I will have to say that I disagree with you because there have been changes to notes.  Logos did create their own RTF editor (but not a word processor), they have added a TOC like L3 with split view, we now have more note icon colors to chose from, we now right click to delete a note instead have the red x popping up under out mouse, we can now share our notes, and we can get backups of our deleted notes from the web.

To say that nothing in the list has been implemented is simply not true.  This being said, I will also say that a lot more can be done to notes.

You are correct. I feel chastened. I was exaggerating and forgetful at the same time. Still no excuse. Thanks for putting the record right for others reading this thread.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 6:57 PM

Rosie Perera:
I feel chastened.
I am sorry, that was not my intent at all!!!!

I have voiced my dislike about notes many many many times.  Because of this, I thought I should also state that Logos has/is listening to their customers concerning their product.

While we still need better tagging and a way to manage our tags, we still need to be able to link one note to more than one scripture reference, and we still need...., Logos has made some major changes/improvements to notes.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 7:02 PM

tom:
Rosie Perera:
I feel chastened.
I am sorry, that was not my intent at all!!!!

Sorry, poor choice of words. I should have left that sentence out completely. I didn't mean you were judging me or chastening me or anything. I'm sometimes a complete klutz in online communication.

And no, don't take this response to mean I'm feeling badly about how I wrote that. I'm over it. Really. Smile

Posts 10522
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 2:57 AM

Rosie Perera:

fgh:

The latter has been the highest vote-getting item on the list for a year or two

Sometime back a Logos developer—don't remember which one—commented that this one had low priority because it was so broad. However, as Tom noted, there have been improvements, especially the new RTF editor. Perhaps this will enable Logos to make some of the needed improvements. Another Logos employee (Bradley?) remarked that OS supplied text editing tools—especially on the Mac—limited their ability to implement certain features.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 8:20 AM

Rosie Perera:
I'm sometimes a complete klutz in online communication.
Same here

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS