Is the Noet model "Classics" or "Western classics"

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26511
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:21 PM

i.e. how soon can I expect Anglo-Saxon and Norse? Chinese and Sanskrit?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:35 PM

There's always Perseus' Germanic Materials for them to start with. Is your Old Norse better or worse than mine?Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:36 PM

Yes and Coptic

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 26511
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:43 PM

fgh:
There's always Perseus' Germanic Materials for them to start with.

I hadn't noticed my Perseus lacked the most interesting materialsWink

fgh:
Is your Old Norse better or worse than mine?Big Smile

most definitely worse ... I've not looked at any for 40 years and I couldn't read it them.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 2:52 PM

I've never made any real effort to read it at all -- but of course I have a certain advantage over you.Smile And there is a dictionary included in the collection.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:26 PM

The initial focus of Noet will be to serve disciplines whose core texts have been usually identified as part of the Western intellectual or Western classical tradition. For now, this means classical studies and philosophy, which you'll find is reflected in the contents of the Noet bundles and collections. That's not to say we won't expand into some of the subject areas mentioned in this thread in the future—it just won't be right away.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 10:48 AM

Mike Grigoni:
The initial focus of Noet will be to serve disciplines whose core texts have been usually identified as part of the Western intellectual or Western classical tradition.

That would include Goethe and Schiller in German, Voltaire and Rousseau in French, and Dante and Petrarca in Italian.Big Smile

And Arabic also used to be very much part of the Westerns classical tradition.Wink

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 4:02 PM

Mike Grigoni:
For now, this means classical studies and philosophy, which you'll find is reflected in the contents of the Noet bundles and collections.

While the Noet products page shows 7 bundles, searching Logos.com for Noet has 5 results => http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=Noet

Notably missing:

=> http://www.logos.com/product/33084/harvard-classics-collection 

=> http://www.logos.com/product/33085/harvard-fiction-collection

that can be combined => http://www.logos.com/product/3662/the-harvard-classics-and-fiction-collection

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 4:53 PM

fgh:

Mike Grigoni:
The initial focus of Noet will be to serve disciplines whose core texts have been usually identified as part of the Western intellectual or Western classical tradition.

That would include Goethe and Schiller in German, Voltaire and Rousseau in French, and Dante and Petrarca in Italian.Big Smile

Yes

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 8:17 PM

Mike Grigoni:
The initial focus of Noet will be to serve disciplines whose core texts have been usually identified as part of the Western intellectual or Western classical tradition. For now, this means classical studies and philosophy, which you'll find is reflected in the contents of the Noet bundles and collections. That's not to say we won't expand into some of the subject areas mentioned in this thread in the future—it just won't be right away.

Mike,

It'd be great to see either the Great Books of the Western World set in Noet, or a Logos equivalent!

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 8:35 PM

Greg Masone:
It'd be great to see either the Great Books of the Western World set in Noet, or a Logos equivalent!

Yes, yes, yes!!! YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

I'm sure a lot of those are available already in the Harvard Classics and Fiction Collection (71 vols.), Perseus, the Loeb Classical Library offerings that have been shoping up in Community Pricing, and the new Noet offerings (which were available via CP in the past). The ones that are not yet available would mostly be the science, math, and economics ones. But there do appear to be some longer works of fiction (e.g., Moby Dick, War and Peace, Brothers Karamazov) in the Great Books that are not part of Harvard Classics. But Gabe Martini recently said that a collection of the Works of Dostoyevsky is on its way (yay!).

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 11:48 AM

fgh:

As you probably already know, we do have a Rousseau collection on community pricing. It would be wonderful to get that into production soon (hint, hint). It's hovering around 80%.

We also plan to list an English translation of Dante's Inferno on pre-pub this summer.

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 11:50 AM

Greg Masone:

Mike,

Agreed. We've talked about this for Noet and I hope we can make it happen someday.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 12:15 PM

Mike Grigoni:
We also plan to list an English translation of Dante's Inferno on pre-pub this summer.

Ooh, nice!

Which English translation? There are so many, and some are not that great. I'd love to see the one by Allen Mandelbaum or Mark Musa (including the extensive notes!) or John Ciardi. Not Dorothy Sayers (beloved though she is among Christians), or Lindskoog's prose translation. The newer ones by Robert & Jean Hollander and by Anthony Esolen (both with parallel Italian, and the latter with Gustave Doré's illustrations) are also very good. Those are the only ones I'm familiar with, but there are others.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 12:16 PM

Mike Grigoni:

fgh:

As you probably already know, we do have a Rousseau collection on community pricing. It would be wonderful to get that into production soon (hint, hint). It's hovering around 80%.

You didn't read my post very well...

Scholars won't settle for translations. They need the originals.

And you've already got an English Dante. I've got it in my library. I've even got two, but one seems to be a PB.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 26511
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 12:39 PM

fgh:

You over-estimate some American "scholarship". You are, of course, correct for credible scholarship.

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:33 PM

fgh:

And you've already got an English Dante. I've got it in my library. I've even got two, but one seems to be a PB.

If market demand exists, we will eventually offer the original French for thinkers like Rousseau, and German for Goethe and so on. In terms of philosophical texts, at this point our efforts have been to get several key works in English into production and into the Logos ecosystem. That way, when the Noet app is released, we have a variety of live philosophical texts available for purchase. Hegel's Phänomenologie des Geistes in the Works of Hegel Collection is the probably the most recent exception to this.

And yes, we do have Dante's Inferno available as part of the Harvard Classics Collection. However, the one we will list this summer is a modern translation and should be far superior.

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:35 PM

Rosie Perera:

Mike Grigoni:

Ooh, nice!

Which English translation? There are so many, and some are not that great. I'd love to see the one by Allen Mandelbaum or Mark Musa (including the extensive notes!) or John Ciardi. Not Dorothy Sayers (beloved though she is among Christians), or Lindskoog's prose translation. The newer ones by Robert & Jean Hollander and by Anthony Esolen (both with parallel Italian, and the latter with Gustave Doré's illustrations) are also very good. Those are the only ones I'm familiar with, but there are others.

The translation we'll offer is by Tom Simone. Focus Publishing/R. Pullins is the publisher.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 7:58 AM

What is unique about buying the Classics with Noet?  Amazon offers 1,543 Classics at zero cost here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=classics+on+kindle+free&sprefix=classic%2Cdigital-text%2C233

Posts 138
Michael Grigoni | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 8:11 AM

Sir Maru:

What is unique about buying the Classics with Noet?  Amazon offers 1,543 Classics at zero cost here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=classics+on+kindle+free&sprefix=classic%2Cdigital-text%2C233

There are several significant differences when it comes to reading the classics in Noet. The following question and answer is taken from the Noet.com/faq page.

How do Noet ebooks differ from ebooks in other platforms (Kindle, Nook, etc.)?

When used in the Noet mobile app, Noet ebooks support a host of unique features that allow for deeper textual engagement. These features include:

• High-powered search tools that allow you to search your entire library or an individual ebook for an English or original-language word or phrase.
  • Split-screen view that allows you to sync related texts so that they scroll together as you read them. Sync Homer’s Odyssey and a commentary, so that as you turn the page of one text, the other automatically follows. Or sync a translation of the Iliad with the original Greek.
  • A Look Up tool that allows you to select an original-language word and access its gloss, lemma, and morphology.
  • A Word Study tool that allows you to link from an original-language word to its entry in a lexicon.
  • A Text Comparison tool that allows you to compare a passage across multiple translations.
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS