Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 44 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28959
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:14 PM

fgh:
came from

Your kidding? I'd never heard anything but that they may have had settlements there. As for Atlantis, I know for a fact it was midway between California and HawaiiStick out tongue

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

fgh:
came from

Your kidding? I'd never heard anything but that they may have had settlements there.

You didn't read what you told me to read? Smile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths#Origins (but notice the last sentence of that section)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 28959
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:34 PM

fgh:
You didn't read what you told me to read? Smile

Didn't remember that farEmbarrassed

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 26 2013 3:24 PM

Sir Maru:

What is unique about buying the Classics with Noet?  Amazon offers 1,543 Classics at zero cost here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=classics+on+kindle+free&sprefix=classic%2Cdigital-text%2C233

fgh:

Scholars won't settle for translations. They need the originals.

And you've already got an English Dante. I've got it in my library. I've even got two, but one seems to be a PB.

This ^^ is exactly it.

I really hope Logos listens to what people are saying here.  And here:  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73142.aspx. (the thread "Why "Send to Kindle" Must be a Priority"

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 26 2013 3:32 PM

Mike Grigoni:

There are several significant differences when it comes to reading the classics in Noet. The following question and answer is taken from the Noet.com/faq page.

How do Noet ebooks differ from ebooks in other platforms (Kindle, Nook, etc.)?

When used in the Noet mobile app, Noet ebooks support a host of unique features that allow for deeper textual engagement. These features include:

• High-powered search tools that allow you to search your entire library or an individual ebook for an English or original-language word or phrase.
  • Split-screen view that allows you to sync related texts so that they scroll together as you read them. Sync Homer’s Odyssey and a commentary, so that as you turn the page of one text, the other automatically follows. Or sync a translation of the Iliad with the original Greek.
  • A Look Up tool that allows you to select an original-language word and access its gloss, lemma, and morphology.
  • A Word Study tool that allows you to link from an original-language word to its entry in a lexicon.
  • A Text Comparison tool that allows you to compare a passage across multiple translations.

Each of Mike's points here^ are exactly why focusing on original language texts is playing to Logos' strengths.

And why hauling out public domain translations - which we can get for free elsewhere - and hawking them on Logos, is a bad idea.  

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS