BUG: cannot dismiss pop-up

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 467
Anon | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 29 2013 1:02 PM

every time this pop-up shows, it will not dismiss or allow one to click on anything else - only way to get rid of it is to close the browser.

very annoying!  

please fix!  

using safari 6.0.5

OS X 10.14.6  |  Logos 8.10 

Posts 262
LogosEmployee
Steve Workman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 9:37 AM

Thank you for reporting this.  The only way we are able to recreate this is if Safari is set to In Private browsing, the reason why this can't be dismissed is because the web browser is not allowing the site to store a cookie to dismiss it.  I apologize for the issue however there is no way we can override the browser's setting.  if you are not using that mode please let me know and we will research it further.

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 9:47 AM

Steve Workman:
the reason why this can't be dismissed is because the web browser is not allowing the site to store a cookie to dismiss it.

Seems odd that a website should need to store a cookie in order to dismiss a popup. Other websites do it all the time without using cookies. I could see why a cookie would be needed to remember the state of whether this user has seen that popup already or not, i.e., whether you should display it to them again when they come back to that page. But clicking the X to dismiss the box should not involve any cookie activity. It should be simple.

Posts 14
David Stockdale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 10:26 AM

Steve - Thank you for looking into this problem.  It is frustrating to not be able to click away from that popup.  I run Safari with InPrivate browsing in iOS and cannot access the Logos web site from my iOS device because of this web site behavior.  I must close the browser session because the popup will not go away.

I hope you are able to make a suitable workaround (e.g. not using that marketing popup logic when Safari browser is detected, or better yet, see Rosie's observations about the need for cookies).  Thank you.

Posts 467
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 12:30 PM

Steve Workman:
the reason why this can't be dismissed is because the web browser is not allowing the site to store a cookie to dismiss it.

why does my browser need a cookie to dismiss a pop-up?  do you find this behavior consistent with other websites in regards to this issue?

Steve Workman:
however there is no way we can override the browser's setting.

no need to, just fix the website behavior for this.

i will repeat this behavior is extremely annoying!  it's made more so because of the great amount of unexpected and not dismissible pop-ups that frequent L5.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

To all who were affected by this bug, I apologize. It should be fixed now as we should no longer show the signup dialog to people running Safari in private browsing mode. If you're still having issues with it, let me know.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:37 AM

Cameron Watters (Logos):

To all who were affected by this bug, I apologize. It should be fixed now as we should no longer show the signup dialog to people running Safari in private browsing mode. If you're still having issues with it, let me know.

You're awesome, Cameron and whoever else worked on this! See, I knew it could be done. The wheel just needed a bit more squeakiness.

Posts 467
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:50 AM

Cameron Watters (Logos):

Thank you Cameron!!! 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS