Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 3:26 PM

Well, it's 300.00 per year to gain access; so at something in that range, I think that would be worth it, personally.    

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 3:30 PM

Butters:
Well, it's 300.00 per year to gain access;

I have to pay annual licenses on my statistical software (SPSS, SAS).  I am not willing to do that with just about anything else, and I cringe at the thought of paying annual fees to Logos or any other company for access to certain works in the software.  That's just not a viable solution.

That's why I think the OED would price itself out of a place in Logos. If they were to license the software on a permanent basis, like other Logos resources, I think they'd price themselves like my statistical software does (in the thousands of dollars).

Someone will hopefully prove me wrong. Until then, the glass is half empty.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2041
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 5:14 PM

Doc B:

I would love the full version, but if you've priced it in the past fifty years or so, you know it is not cheap. I shudder to think of what they'd charge for it to be in Logos.

They had a CD-ROM version that was priced at about $300.00.  The problem with it was that the copy protection/security involved made it almost unusable.  Logos licensing is very secure, so I would think they would jump at the chance.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 5:18 PM

Incidentally, I spoke with someone in the NYC office - and was asking a bunch of questions, including whether they were working on a mobile version (iOS, etc.) - "no, we have no plans for anything like that."  huh?  Surprise

To be honest, their lack of vision kind of freaks me out.  Especially given the precious resource they are the sole stewards of.  

~Butters Smile

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:18 AM

Butters:
To be honest, their lack of vision kind of freaks me out.  Especially given the precious resource they are the sole stewards of.  

I'm with you.  Many folks under 30 or so have never encountered the OED.  Looks like that unfortunate trend may continue.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:13 AM

Joseph Turner:
They had a CD-ROM version that was priced at about $300.00.  The problem with it was that the copy protection/security involved made it almost unusable.  Logos licensing is very secure, so I would think they would jump at the chance.

That's a good point actually.  Indeed, they could learn something from Logos about how to deploy copyrighted material in a secure manner.  

It seems to me that if they aren't going to develop and implement a cutting edge platform to deploy/use/navigate, they ought to just license the content to others (such as Logos) who know how to make this happen.  Otherwise, it's just a hugely wasted asset.  

~Butters Smile

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:16 AM

Doc B:
I'm with you.  Many folks under 30 or so have never encountered the OED.  Looks like that unfortunate trend may continue.

Indeed.  

Moreover, the original people who began the dictionary were visionaries in so many ways; including how they organized material, how they sourced it, etc, way ahead of their time.  Also, many of them working for free; some of them for very little.  

So for OUP to now sit back on their haunches with deployment, is....well, disappointing to say the least.  

Someone, somewhere is turning in their proverbial grave. 

~Butters Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:45 AM

To answer the question in the thread title;

"No."

Oxford Latin Dictionary was just about to ship out of Pre-Pub when some new guy took the reigns at Oxford and decided he did not want it published. If the same guy is still the decision maker at Oxford we should not get our hopes up about OED.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:49 AM

Super Tramp:

To answer the question in the thread title;

"No."

Oxford Latin Dictionary was just about to ship out of Pre-Pub when some new guy took the reigns at Oxford and decided he did not want it published. If the same guy is still the decision maker at Oxford we should not get our hopes up about OED.

Clearly he's a genius man of business.  LOL.  

Well, what about the LSJ?  Please tell me that we "own" it???  Or can that be pulled back?    

And by the Oxford Latin do you mean the Glare or the L&S?  

I suppose we could wait for the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae?  Stick out tongue

~Butters Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 9:00 AM

Super Tramp:

That's old news. Logos has put a lot of Oxford books on prepub the last half a year or so. Clearly Logos and OUP are good friends again.

http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=oxford&Publisher=Oxford+University+Press 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 3:12 PM

I hope this is under consideration in the future; it's truly a wasted resource as it is now deployed.  

~Butters Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 4:45 PM

fgh:
That's old news. Logos has put a lot of Oxford books on prepub the last half a year or so. Clearly Logos and OUP are good friends again.

Well that is nice. (Thanks for pointing it out.) That explains why Logos is always so tight-lipped about publishing problems. A deep schism today can be overcome by tomorrow's sound of the cash register; Ka-ching! Music

This gives us renewed hope that Moody titles may return to Logos. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 32
KJB1611 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 4:36 PM

I would buy the OED if it is reasonably priced and there is not an annual fee to use it. My 2 volume reduced size physical copy is much harder to use, as I have to use a magnifying glass for it, as nine pages are compressed on one page.

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS